Good bash session until pinon gear broke!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the best of records using ez outs. IMO the easiest fix would be to just replace the clutch bell/

But, to answer the OP's question, I would either MIG or TIG weld a flat washer that is one size smaller than the original bolt. Be sure to just tack weld the washer to the broken bolt. The washer is used to prevent welding the washer and/or the broken bolt to the clutch bell. Just make enough tack welds to create a nub large enough to bite down with a pair of vice grips. I would also suggest welding with the clutch bell removed from carrier and bearings. It usually takes a few tries to successfully removing the broken bolt. Once extracted, just clean up the surfaces with a file.

I don't have the best of records using ez outs. IMO the easiest fix would be to just replace the clutch bell/

But, to answer the OP's question, I would either MIG or TIG weld a flat washer that is one size smaller than the original bolt. Be sure to just tack weld the washer to the broken bolt. The washer is used to prevent welding the washer and/or the broken bolt to the clutch bell. Just make enough tack welds to create a nub large enough to bite down with a pair of vice grips. I would also suggest welding with the clutch bell removed from carrier and bearings. It usually takes a few tries to successfully removing the broken bolt. Once extracted, just clean up the surfaces with a file.
I've use a similar trick to remove broken exhaust manifold bolts from heads on cars. Weld a nut to the broken bolt and use a wrench on it.

Thanks guys for the advice I think it’s best if I just replace the clutch bell..

Next question should I go with OEM bell or should I upgrade to something better?

No real right/ wrong answer, I mostly run stock bells, but I had some issues with my old dbxl and ended up getting the vertigo hex bell. Didn't have any issues with the pinion coming off or snapping the drive slot anymore. Did have to run their pinion gears. But it was just 2 or 3 I bought till I settled on an 18 tooth.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks