Got a question about the Baja 5b Flux sbk coming out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1500valk

I am thinks of getting back into the 1/5 scale hobby after being out of it for 8 years or so. So, I want to get the new Baja 5b Flux (I had the original gasser 5b SS). I see that HPI recommends two esc's rated for 200a (castle and hobbywing). I mainly use Spektrum and like their equipment. So, my question is this? Would a Spektrum 160a esc be a bad idea in this model? I know that the 1/5 scale models from Losi and Arrma all use Spektrum 160a esc's. Is HPI just going overkill? Or is there something about the Baja 5b that requires a 200a esc? The Arrma and Losi trucks both weight a couple pounds more. I know the final gear ratio is higher on the Baja. But that's the only thing I could find that might justify the higher current rating. If you all believe that 200a is needed, here is my next question. Could I get away with using ec5 connectors? I would likely never run 8s. Likely would just run two 3s in series. (2 3s batteries are less expensive than 1 6s, from what I found). Thanks for any help!

Spectrum stuff is junk.

Ec5 won’t take the power.

6s will make a baja super gutless. It needs to be 8s or better yet 12s.
I converted my baja to electric along time ago. I ran a castle xl esc and a 780kv leopard motor. 6s was fast and very powerful. It depends on if your using poop electronics or good ones.

So, what was the XL rated for? I know the original Baja Flux used an XL2 and 780kv motor. But, that is a 200a esc. Interesting thing is that the original Flux used Deans connectors, which is rated at 75 amps, tops. The EC5 is rated at 125a continuous. The Arrma and Losi trucks only use ec5 connectors.
I don't need 60mph speed, a good 40 top speed is fine, as that is about what the original gasser engine did. 12s is ridiculous. Everyone is so hung up on speed, speed, speed. Speed breaks things. And, while my backyard is nearly a half acre, 60 mph is reckless, imho. I want to go electric due to the much quieter nature. And I don't need to keep it in the garage because of the fumes. I'm not a newbie, I have been running rc cars on and off for over 30 years. I don't think Spektrum is junk, by the way. I prefer futaba, but they don't make large escs. I may still go with a Futaba 3pv or 4pl.

Spectrum stuff is junk.

Ec5 won’t take the power.

6s will make a baja super gutless. It needs to be 8s or better yet 12s.
Hobbywing is Spektrum's OEM lol

Spektrum is fine. It's odd that HH replaced Dynamite for the electronics since Spektrum was always a radio manufacturer, but whatever floats their goat. Nothing wrong with them. I've run handfuls of Spektrum motors and ESCs with reckless abandon and haven't had one quit on me yet. I had their 1250kV 8S combo in my Rovan 5T brushless conversion and it was plenty fast for its size on 8S.

So, I think I will use a Spektrum 160a esc on my build. 800kv motor. Thanks for the info!
The Rovan is basically a copied Hpi Baja, right? I think this has decided it for me.
I might run an 800kv, unless that combo which is a decent price, would be a decent performer.
I know the 800kv is a longer motor.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks