Grass in engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Large Scale Basher

Reading the Rules!
if grass goes in the engine and around will it fuk it up hope it doesn't as i never had a engine cover on it the time i was running it ? my mistake sh****t :blink::blink::blink:

No, it won't kill the engine. Grass in the pullstart is just an issue that everyone gets with largescale RC. Grass will reduce the cooling tho which can lead to issues if it gets above about 130 centigrade so you need to make sure it doesn't get totaly blocked. If you are wooried, just whip the plastic engine cowel off and de-grass it (3 screws).

You can stop grass getting in from the crank case side by modding it, see
https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=5376

Outerwears make pullstart covers, but they are rather expensive for what you want them to do (you only need to stop grass and stones, dust isn't an issue in the pullstart cover). Alternative answers are in the below links, a cheaper version of an outerwears filter, and a supercheap version....

https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=8489

https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=8096

If on the other hand you ran without an air filter and grass/dust went through the carb, prepare for a good disassemble and clean, or even rebuild.

shall i open the eninge all up and take the grass out?

You don't have to take the head off or anything complex.

You only need to take three ecrews out of the black plastic top cover, one on the clutch side, two at the top on the fan cover side (and probably also take the spark plug out). You can then unclip the plastic cowel from the top of the engine. You should then be able to get the majority of grass out with a pair of needle nose pliers or small allen key. So long as the spark plug hole is covered, you can also give a few tugs on the starter to blow any grass out of the fan case.

But if the head looks more like a hay bale than an engine, you can also take the fan cover off (2 hex head bolts and 2 nyloc nuts) to give it a propper clean. But this isn't allways neeed. Either way, you should not need to open up the engine itself (unless you were daft enough to run without an air filter!)

If you do remove the spark plug, do not let anything fall into the engine.

I can do you some images of the screws to remove this evening if you still need help.

Last edited:
Blow it out with an air compressor. You should be able to remove 99% of the debris with a good air compressor.;) don't remove the filter or spark plug when cleaning....

+1 BTB, do you run with a body on? This should stop allot of grass getting inthere.

The crankcase mod can be a bit daunting when new to rc but take it slow and it really is quite easy. I got help with mine for the first time and never had a blade of grass enter in/around engine since, really is worth it time wise because you will spend much longer in the long run removing the cowl and taking the grass out that way.

Yes it CAN damage the engine
If you get enough in , it can overheat the engine and the piston will melt to the head and stop dead.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks