grizzly with DRO milling machine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorraine

any of you fellers have one of these machines ? I'm having one dropped here at shop for guy down street and he want me to put it together and run a few test pieces on it a tweek it in , then later take truck and a machine down to unload it at his place later tonight for final setup and bolt down, Is there anything about these machines I should be on the look out for ?

I don't have the Grizz, i have the LMS 4190. They are all made in China, so you don't need me to school you on what to expect. My 4190 uses a better, more rigid "fixed" column. If your buddy bought one with the tilting column those are prone to lack of rigidity and tend to flex and vibrate. PM me if you have specific setup / run questions. Heres my thread over at the hobby machinist forum:
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/new-lms-4190-setup-first-impressions.75748/

More feedback :
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...ack-now-that-ive-thrown-a-lot-of-chips.76893/

Last edited:
we own a high production screw machine shop , Been in the cutting oil for 41 years! and yes that is a tilter....CRAP. so what ya say is that on one or more axis is going to give me crap when traming out ?

we own a high production screw machine shop , Been in the cutting oil for 41 years! and yes that is a tilter....CRAP. so what ya say is that on one or more axis is going to give me crap when traming out ?

Tramming in "X" obviously will be easy. Your challenge will be tramming the "Y" axis . I guarantee its out. Im not even sure how one would correct the "Y" axis issue on the pivot style column. I would have to see some pics of the pivot clamp. don't know if they can be shimmed.

I do not think he is going to do much steel work or even heavy cuts in aluminum. This guy is a FE boat nut so most of work is small light passes. Will see , truck is in Buffalo now on its way out to us , Hour or so. Invoice ticket says it a G0759 unit under 1000 pounds so it must not be that big of machine

Last edited:
That mill should come pretty much fully assembled. don't know how much work you want to invest in someone else's mill but you can spend a lot of time to gain the perfect tram, or just oil the ways and run it as is for decent precision. Sounds like your buddy will be happy with the mill "as is" out of the crate.

it coming in two crates ,so it must be the cabnet and then machine and DRO unit on arm stuffed somewhere in the mix. he said it has good reviews for having almost 0 backlash in screw nuts.
I could peepee around and get it close to perfect here on shop floor, but by the time I lift unit again and move to his place most of that time will be poop canned as I pissed off unit by moving it.
He has a 4 foot piece of bowling lane hardwood that is true and will raise unit 6 inches , And I helped him in basement to post lag and use skimkote on concrete for a true level base for mount up. I hope this china man machine was worth the machine mounts and skimkote!!!!!!

Last edited:
mill here, two small med wood slat machine crate/pallet. Well truck backed into dock and me on clarke ready for a load.... WTF two small wood wire crates i could of snatched with a hand truck!....These things are alot smaller than I thought. after de crating the works it only took two of us to plop it up on cabinet . Wow this is low to work on!!!!!. going to have to weld up a riser system for this cabinet. No collets in hardware bag but I will go in tool room and fix the duff up!. The drill chuck mounted to head is trash, junk, poop, Tossed that mess in chip dumpster. and will hunt something up way better later..The no rust GOOOOOOOO is not solvent ready but latex based and hot soap n water clean down and a after respray of cutting oil should be good enough. I set on floor in steel bay with a circle of saw dust and soaked that female dog with BP cutting oil. the thing still smells of china man machine!....STINKS...Farts stink too but it goes away.. My bridgeports make this look like hand tools but it looks like it is built well and tight. .going now to mate it to its cabinet and make riser square for it to mount it to alley wood at his house to rise it up 6 inches so you can work on it for awhile without humping up. overall the DRO unit has good wiring and threaded locks on wiring and swing arm has a collet holder. I will fire up here and run a bit but that means poop if it is not planted home..over all it looks to be a good deal. I wish I had one in my college room at RIT too work with instead of pussy and beer, Way less regrets !!!!!. don't regret the beer !

Last edited:
I had done my research and also knew the "stand/cabinets" are a total waste of money. Just build your own or throw it on a bench. Spend the saved money on something useful like an R8 collet kit , or better yet a X axis power feed. My power feed was a $380 option, but considering each dial rotation on my X axis handwheel is only .062" the powerfeed is almost a necessity unless you want to waste all your time rotating the handwheel traversing. Not an issue if you're only doing small 2" long parts, but many of my projects required facing of parts that were 8" in length. BTW, the only successful method i've found that removes the china "cosmoline" shipping goop is Acetone and a brush !

the china goo went away with a few soaking floods of BP cuttin oil ! . So ya tell'in us it is going to be a slow go on big block chevy heads per pass ?......Lol.. I went in to tool room and fixed him up a collet set. and a decent drill chuck. The other was just plain trash! Dumpster filler! I got him a nice table vise that tilts and has a 360 table on bottom.and a 3 set of dial clocks with the pushy things out at 6o clock that have that magic sticky metal on mounts....HE HE HE

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks