Guys selling for lots of $$$$

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SELWA

I though I'd ask this question here since we all have various machines. I've had a few different ones and know the pros and cons of them.

Why is it that guys will spend so much on a Baja and then want to sell it off. I've seen a few at $2K and even $3K. For that price I'd be buying a Elcon Cleon or a FG 4WD.

What are your views?

I though I'd ask this question here since we all have various machines. I've had a few different ones and know the pros and cons of them.

Why is it that guys will spend so much on a Baja and then want to sell it off. I've seen a few at $2K and even $3K. For that price I'd be buying a Elcon Cleon or a FG 4WD.

What are your views?

Here's my take:

1) Credit cards. Some guys get in over their heads. This isn't a cheap hobby and I think the 20 bucks here, 75 bucks here adds up fast. By that time it's like..did I just spend 3 grand on this? DOH! I did!
2) Putting hobby over other bills. People do it, but it'll come back and bite them.
3) Family/time. You go crazy with upgrades and realize, crap, I don't have time to run them. I'm in this boat...but I'm not getting rid of mine. When I do have a chance to run them, it's a freakin blast. Plus, mine are all paid off.
4) No where to run them with adequate room.
5) Starting out at 2-3 grand would make most people decide right away that the cost is too great to have fun. Dropping 900 initially doesn't seem like such a hit.

Very good points! Family and fun.

Credit cards are a bad thing if you don't pay them off. My parents never used any cards or cheques and they own their house and cottage. I own my house and it's only 3 years old. :eek:mg:

Very good points! Family and fun.

Credit cards are a bad thing if you don't pay them off. My parents never used any cards or cheques and they own their house and cottage. I own my house and it's only 3 years old. :eek:mg:

I would LOVE to have my home paid for, but aside from cheap student loans, it's my only debt! Well, unless you count kids, they ARE debt.

Here's my 2 cent worth..some people just enjoy building things and making it better
not paying any mind to what the cost..Opps over my head like csp1971 said..addicted to this hobby and not family time if they have a family..Like gambeling..a vice got a grip on ya.
As for me I am retired so it really doesn't make much difference for my RC Hobby..
I have the firehammer and my sons helped pay for the items for make it right..That's all I need..As to my debit to mu son's it will be taken care of this year and repaid to them..
AKASlwahammer

3) Family/time. You go crazy with upgrades and realize, crap, I don't have time to run them. I'm in this boat...but I'm not getting rid of mine. When I do have a chance to run them, it's a freakin blast. Plus, mine are all paid off.

Yeah, this is my position. My cars are paid off, I just lose so much time to family and career that I've very little left for my beloved R/C. Which figures...but like you, I'm never getting rid of my cars. I made that mistake before, and regretted it ever since (I had a Tamiya TGR w/the fabulous FS-15RB engine and an M8 transmitter, like an idiot I sold it), so never again.

There are always those who will try to get what they put into it, because they do what I normally do...I find something on eSlay that seems like a good deal, but just needs some work, next thing you know you've replaced nearly the entire machine and are out almost as much money than if you'd just bought a new one. 'Course, I guess I don't honestly mind it, so much...I'm not into spending money on stuff I shouldn't have to, but I do like the quest of finding parts and putting stuff together. Even so...if you're not frugal, you'll find you could have bought the high-end version for what you spent anyway, and then perhaps in a panic to get that money back they try to sell it for what they've got into it.

The only item you can do that with is homes and businesses. Everything else has a static value and you won't be able to squeeze $3k out of car that cost $900 new. Sure, if you upgrade it, the whole car is alloy and the best-of-the-best, then maybe somebody would be willing to buy it for an inflated price. Though I doubt that very much.

Word to those looking into getting R/C of just about any scale: 1). you get what you pay for (unless it's eSlay), and 2). if you don't like to tinker, fiddle, or take stuff apart and put it back together, best you stay out and buy something you will like with that money. R/C takes a particular kind of individual, and especially if you buy something off eSlay with the intent on renovating or restoring it. Get ready to spend money, time, blood, sweat, and even tears to get it right. If that's not what you're looking for out of this hobby, you might want to rethink spending the money.

Nice to see good wise words being posted. I've also found if you like to modify anything best if you buy something used. This way the $$ you save can go to your machine.

Nice to see good wise words being posted. I've also found if you like to modify anything best if you buy something used. This way the $$ you save can go to your machine.

The only item you can do that with is homes and businesses. Everything else has a static value and you won't be able to squeeze $3k out of car that cost $900 new. Sure, if you upgrade it, the whole car is alloy and the best-of-the-best, then maybe somebody would be willing to buy it for an inflated price. Though I doubt that very much.

I LOVE finding great deals on used RC stuff. I don't mind tinkering with them one bit. I've sold rc's too many times in the past and then regretted it.... I wished I had kept my Tamiya Egress......:no:

I would kill to have an Elcon Cleon. But, the price....:eek:hmy:

I LOVE finding great deals on used RC stuff. I don't mind tinkering with them one bit. I've sold rc's too many times in the past and then regretted it.... I wished I had kept my Tamiya Egress......:no:

I would kill to have an Elcon Cleon. But, the price....:eek:hmy:

Yeah, that's really my Achille's Heal. Like, my Kyosho F-Ten that I built from parts. Never could find one for a decent price, and I managed to assemble 98% of it from parts of a couple electric versions, plus every hop-up for the F-Ten I could find. Now I have an almost-complete F-Ten that's missing three key components...

How it breaks the heart!

My FG is in better running shape, though it needs to be cleaned. Again. I need to keep off dirty parking lots! However...restoring R/C is in my blood, now, so I have a couple more projects I'm lined up to do. If I can manage to find a decent example of a Marui Samurai and another Tamiya TGR (there's a few tantilizing examples on eSlay, but no engines...), then I'll be happy. Like Bigger and Badder's sig says: 'If I had a million dollars I'd own them all!'

Personally, I don't like to think about what all this KRAP costs. I know it is expensive, but my wife doesn't have a clue what it is worth, does that make it cheaper?

I think I am going to add a Hurrax to my collection of Large Scales.

Personally, I don't like to think about what all this KRAP costs. I know it is expensive, but my wife doesn't have a clue what it is worth, does that make it cheaper?

I think I am going to add a Hurrax to my collection of Large Scales.

LOL...wow, yeah, I must say I'm in that boat, even just a bit. Who cares what it costs! Well...to a point. LOL.

i'm fairly new to large scale, recently upgraded from nitro, and have a 2nd hand hobby pro mutilator (marder clone)
apart from the gears for the drive train i try and make parts that i break myself
weight is not an issue as i don't race, other than for fun with a load of mates,
have made wishbones, front and rear out of 3/8 copper
and am in the process of making an exhaust out of 22mm copper (cheated a bit here as one of my friends has mashed his HPI baja pipe and so i get the manifold and expansion box for free)
will post pics once its done

I am building an fg semi. I look at what the parts have cost and I could have bought a new one but where's the fun in that? Hunting deals is fun and I have made friends from the parts I have bought. I guess my truck is not much like a stock truck, oh well. It looks cool to me and I enjoy the build more than driving them

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks