had a baja 5t runaway

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bustert2

scared me like no other. in an empty parking lot, just messing around. friend says 'hey drive it down there and open it up' drove it and opened it up. hit the brakes, but it kept going. jumped a curb going to the opposing parking lot, where cars were, hit another curb, flung the c-clip and the tire and hub flew off, bounced hit another curb and flipped over on its lid. the problem, the servo got stuck in full throttle position. luckily no cars or ppl were hit. only damage to her was the flung c-clip and somehow the exhaust pipe header broke off at the base so i need a new header, and of course the servo. question is, do i just need to buy a new one, or open that one up and replace the insides? its the stock servo and its been really good til yest. ive had the truck for years, both servos are still stock. it took it this long to finally give out so im happy with the stock ones. so what would be my best options with this throttle servo?

First buy a KILL SWITCH!!!! so that you will not have that problem again then buy a new servo.

That was going to be my exact comment.
And I'm sorry but I can't believe you got away with not running a kill switch of some description for this long.

ive allready ordered one and its in the mail on its way. i honestly never really thought about it. ive always ran it in my field which is surrounded by thick chain fence. its ran into it a few times, never hurts the fence and usually never hurts the truck either. so i never thought i really needed one. i always run it by myself since the only track is 4 hours away. i figured if it ever did that id just end up hitting the fence, breaking a few parts which i 95% sure i allready have a spare for anyway. but of course the literally only time i don't run it at my house, this happens, lady luck, gotta love her

So the stock kill switch is not to be trusted? The tests I did do, seemed to work.. I do have a kill switch from when I use to run a Cen Genesis. Would that work better?

There is no stock kill switch that will allow you to turn the engine off from the remote. If you are talking about the kill switch button that is on the engine that only does you any good if you are right buy the engine it will do nothing for the many other things that can go wrong.

Sorry, yes not a kill switch but a fail safe. What I wanted to ask, was is the stock fail safe poop? If so I will swap fail safe and use the genesis FS. I will eventually get the "kill switch" just low on funds this time of year.

I was looking at the kill switches from ebay, do you rec?

sorry for posting in your thread buster.. didn't want to start a new thread.. but if I should have plz let me know. thx

Fail safe are garbage you must have power for a fail safe to work I have never used the fail safe i throw them in the garbage fail safe with not help if the battery comes up plug or the voltage drops to low. A kill switch will cover all of that. The best kill switch on the market is the killer rc super bee if its not the killer rc that you see on ebay run away from them quickly. There really needs to be some law passed that you can not run a 1/5 scale without a kill switch its so very dangerous for people and property especially for the famous stuck wide open throttle servo scenario. I know I never crank mine up without a kill switch installed. I have 12 1/5 scales of my own personal use and in 5 years i have only had to use the kill switch 2 times to prevent a major accident and trust me it was great to have at the time. Its one of those of if you are going to need it but its just when are you going to need it. Better safe then sorry.

Sorry, yes not a kill switch but a fail safe. What I wanted to ask, was is the stock fail safe poop? If so I will swap fail safe and use the genesis FS. I will eventually get the "kill switch" just low on funds this time of year.

I was looking at the kill switches from ebay, do you rec?

sorry for posting in your thread buster.. didn't want to start a new thread.. but if I should have plz let me know. thx

no your fine, i originally only wanted to kno about a new servo but it turned into this lol. but yeah killer bee kill switch is a must, throw the fail safe thing away

Fail safe are garbage you must have power for a fail safe to work I have never used the fail safe i throw them in the garbage fail safe with not help if the battery comes up plug or the voltage drops to low. A kill switch will cover all of that. The best kill switch on the market is the killer rc super bee if its not the killer rc that you see on ebay run away from them quickly. There really needs to be some law passed that you can not run a 1/5 scale without a kill switch its so very dangerous for people and property especially for the famous stuck wide open throttle servo scenario. I know I never crank mine up without a kill switch installed. I have 12 1/5 scales of my own personal use and in 5 years i have only had to use the kill switch 2 times to prevent a major accident and trust me it was great to have at the time. Its one of those of if you are going to need it but its just when are you going to need it. Better safe then sorry.

they cant put a law that requires ppl to run with one, cuz thatd be super hard to manage. that would require having only certain areas to run the trucks at so they could check the car for the kill switch as ppl came into the park. thered be no way of checking ppls trucks if their just running in their backyard. best way to do it is requiring all 5th scale companies to go ahead and install them onto the trucks during manufactoring. theyd just add 100-150 dollars more to the sell price, and then everyone would be good to go. thats really the only solid way of making sure everyone runs one

they cant put a law that requires ppl to run with one, cuz thatd be super hard to manage. that would require having only certain areas to run the trucks at so they could check the car for the kill switch as ppl came into the park. thered be no way of checking ppls trucks if their just running in their backyard. best way to do it is requiring all 5th scale companies to go ahead and install them onto the trucks during manufactoring. theyd just add 100-150 dollars more to the sell price, and then everyone would be good to go. thats really the only solid way of making sure everyone runs one

I was just really kidding I know they can not make it a law. Its the responsible 1/5 owners that will not run without one.

Might not be a law, or even possible to enforce one of there was, requiring owners of to equip a kill switch, but I bet there is one when you break some poor persons Leg or worse with a runaway.

Its no fun crashing into yourself or someone else, heres a vid of me taking myself out with 5th scale savage flux. Fast forward to about 1:00. [ame]http://youtu.be/rw__bp-wQ3g[/ame]

Sorry, yes not a kill switch but a fail safe.

Wasting time and money and risking your R/C to damage or hitting something or someone with a fail safe. Kill switch is what you need and shouldn't run your RC until you have one.

@Killer RC makes the ONLY kill switch I would trust any of my RC's with. Not expensive and WELL worth the money. Seriously buy one or don't run the RC.

Last edited:
A failsafe is useless if your servo goes dead, battery goes dead, on/off switch fails, or the linkage gets stuck. A Super Bee kill switch will still work.

Here's more info about the Super Bee.
http://www.killerrc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&p=3580

yes I understand this, what I'm not going to do is pay $150+ to get that kill switch. As I inquired at my lhs and that is the cost to get it to a customer.. shipping/exchange rate/ taxes/custom duties.. etc.

the previous owner never had a kill switch.. if I had to guess I'd say its closer to two years old if not more. not sure where you guys run your rc's.. but I don't run mine at the mall or the like...:rolleyes::)

I did purchase one that my lhs had, not sure the brand.

yes I understand this, what I'm not going to do is pay $150+ to get that kill switch. As I inquired at my lhs and that is the cost to get it to a customer.. shipping/exchange rate/ taxes/custom duties.. etc.

the previous owner never had a kill switch.. if I had to guess I'd say its closer to two years old if not more. not sure where you guys run your rc's.. but I don't run mine at the mall or the like...:rolleyes::)

I did purchase one that my lhs had, not sure the brand.

we will all wait for your "my baja ran away and broke in 2," thread.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks