Hardware

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z.hb71

Build Thread Contributor
What's kind of hardware should I use for the bolts on my engine? Like what coating should it have on it and what meterial? Like I've heard zinc coating is the best. And I've heard titanium is great for bolts but I dunno how Tru that is. Really want the best hardware cuz I really want to avoid a bolt to snap or rust. Help me out here, I don't know much about bolts and screws. am i over thinking again?

Last edited:
Titanium is nice if you can afford it . But Mainly folks use it because of how strong it is and still being light . My self I go with a good grade of stainless steel so that things don't rust and it's strong.
ok. anything on coatings like zinc?
Edit: just typed in how much TI bolts and screws are and holy crap do they cost alot!

What parts are you talking about . Zinc coatings are used to keep things from rusting . You engine is Aluminum and a few other types of alloys. If you're talking fasteners I would stick with a good grade of Stainless Unless you want to go all out with Ti. . You're going to need to do research on the different grades of the metals you want to use . Bolts have hardness grades you'll need to understand.

What parts are you talking about . Zinc coatings are used to keep things from rusting . You engine is Aluminum and a few other types of alloys. If you're talking fasteners I would stick with a good grade of Stainless Unless you want to go all out with Ti. . You're going to need to do research on the different grades of the metals you want to use . Bolts have hardness grades you'll need to understand.
ok ill look into the hardness grades ect. im talking fasteners btw. i might do TI, just depends on how much the total will be.

Most stainless is close to a grade 5 ish spec or less for your run of the mill stuff found at most hardware stores. Which wouldn't be preferred for keeping the cylinder attached to the block imo. Grade 8 or 10.9 metric would be they way to go.
Theres also nothing wrong with zink plated fasteners either. Normally you would get a black oxide or the sink coated any way.

Most stainless is close to a grade 5 ish spec or less for your run of the mill stuff found at most hardware stores. Which wouldn't be preferred for keeping the cylinder attached to the block imo. Grade 8 or 10.9 metric would be they way to go.
Theres also nothing wrong with zink plated fasteners either. Normally you would get a black oxide or the sink coated any way.
Ok. Thanx for the info ?

I found stainless to be soft and strip easily. I use the Tony's screw kits usually and so far I've stripped the least amount of screws with his kits. There a standard black oxide coated and are holding up great. The kit itself is very detailed with each screw size size, but size, washer size all labeled in individual baggies

I used a rcscrewz kit for my baja and was disappointed. There cheap, strip easy and unorganized

I found stainless to be soft and strip easily. I use the Tony's screw kits usually and so far I've stripped the least amount of screws with his kits. There a standard black oxide coated and are holding up great. The kit itself is very detailed with each screw size size, but size, washer size all labeled in individual baggies

I used a rcscrewz kit for my baja and was disappointed. There cheap, strip easy and unorganized
Nice, I think I will be getting a Tony's kit once I rebuild my Baja

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks