Having difficulties with the differential, One side is sticking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I didn't post this earlier, I sent an email in and was given the response below so I bought new shafts. I should have them by Tuesday of next week.

I did hear back from HW today and they are going to hook me up and replace my Max4 after I admitted to missing the loctite in one of the set screws for the motor shaft adapter of the JCR conversion. The screw backed out causing extreme resistance on the motor creating a spectacular firework display. Palm hitting forehead.

Message from Primal RC

Only thing else I could think of would be a bent spider gear shaft. My recommendation would be just to replace the diff. I think you have already looked at everything I can think of. I don't think it is a shim problem. I think something may have warped in there. We replace the diff if something like that ever happens. Thanks.

It looks like the problem is the two larger output gears of the six in the spider gears (does that make sense?). After looking at them closely I could see a slight amount of deformation and I guess that is what is binding. Pictures are of the same gear, one is just cropped to show more detail.

I ordered the new spider gears and they should be here soon, maybe tomorrow. The nice part is now I am doing the diff mod with locking nuts to make this less likely to happen. It really helps when you have a diff cup that you can sacrifice.

Attachments

• Gear by itself.jpg
    Gear by itself.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Gear by itself.jpg
    Gear by itself.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 4
It was a Max4 combo with standard gearing and 2x China Hobbyline 6s 6000mah graphenes. I was jumping it on the street with the gas engine and I probably got some screws loose. One of the people I was letting drive didn't understand the concept of landing on the ground with all four tires making contact at once. I never checked the diffs before or after I installed the brushless conversion so shame on me.

I was told by all of you guys to modify the diffs and put the brass spacers on the output shafts but I got lazy and it bit me in the ass.

So everyone learn from me and don't pull a Steve.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks