Help, clutch shoes worn out in one tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danrox90

Hi I just replace my old clutch shoes with new one, they weren't really worn out to bad, and I replaced the stock pinion spur combo with a 20/54 pinion/ spur combo and I took it out for a run and in my first thank my clutch shoes were worn, I did notice that one shoe was worn more then the other ( one was worn right down to the metal!. Could that be the cause or could it be bad quality clutch shoes that I bought... Or could it be the way I installed them. Is there any speacial way to install the clutch shoes?
Thanks for ur help

Wait are you talking about before the clutch got weared out or now, the idle isn't moving the car, I am using the stock spring.. I was thinking I might need to get a stronger spring maybe because I changed the spur and pinion gears, what is part throttle?
Thanks

Likely causes:
-One shoe of the clutch binding, and not swinging freely, and allowed to engage correctly.
-Spring to tight for the engine running, and can not hold the shoes out against the bell well.
-20/54 gearing is very high, and if the vehicle was ran in tall grass or an area with high drag on the rolling of the vehicle, this is a very likely cause of premature clutch failure.
-Running it on and off the throttle a bunch causing the clutch to engage & disengege often, causing heat & clutch wear.

My guess is that either one, or more likely a combination of the above things are causing your problem.

Last edited:
Ok I'll try my old clutch shoes out with the original spring and let you know what happens... I spose if is burns out again my gears are the cause? I havnt been running in tall grass, so if the clutch shoes wear out again what do I do is there a stronger clutch shoe available...
Thanks

Lots of clutch options available, and several spring options for the std 2 shoe clutches.

The newest clutch on the market is the Turtle racing Snapper.
The other fairly new addition the the game is the MIP multiple shoe clutch.
Then we always have the old reliable 4 shoe models from Elcon, and Lauterbacher.

The 2 shoe clutches come in lightened shoe versions. and standard versions.
Personally I believe the std. NOT lightened shoes work best, by having enough mass to overcome the springs & keep a good tight engagement grip on the inside of the clutch bell.

Tons of options, so try what you got, and if you have any issues, lets figure out what will work best for your application.

Okay so I took it out today and the old clutch shoes seem to be doing ok but I don't really get any wheels spin until like 3-4 seconds of the acceleration, it feels like the clutch shoes are taking a while to fully engadge ... So if I get a stronger or weaker clutch spring will this help it aceleration faster??? Or is it just because I lost aceleration because of the gears I put in...
Thanks

Well if your running worn shoes then they are probably slipping against the clutch bell. Maybe even ruining your clutch bell, check it for score marks.... The spring determines what rpm the shoes grab the clutch bell. Check ddm and you'll see different springs 6k-9500k. If you want a snappier start or out of turns then you go with a higher spring like an 8k but if you don't have good traction it's gonna make the wheels spin. Pick up some springs from ddm and give them a shot. Get some extra shoes too. I have a feeling you didn't tighten one of those bolts well when you replace the clutch.

Just a quick question:
Are the shoes 'free moving' - could remove the spring to see if required?

I've only ever used modified clutches, but I've read in the past about people having sticking clutch shoes, reason being there's a spacer washer raising the shoe off the back that's been left out.
Don't know if this is a general fitment, or was just specific to the case I read, but shoes should move freely.

Al.

No the original clutch shoes still have meat on them it isn't metal to metal, it has like 1.5 mm left of meat... If I were to buy new clutch shoes from DDM which ones are a good choice and yer I think I will get a stronger spring to get a bit more punch of the line with these high gears will work well.
Thanks for help guys much apreciated !

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks