hey guys sorry not been here for so long, engine trouble :(

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new-fg-owner

well here is what has happend, last week i fitted my killerbee all nice started the engine all fine lovely first pull gorgeous, the killswitch worked perfect.
now i come to start it yesterday primed the engine and the pull cord is extremely hard to pull i only pull it gently because i don't want to damage inside, i took off the carb and the spark plug, because i don't know if i've flooded the engine. turned it upside down all that came out was dark oily stuff and didnt solve the problem.
i have taken pics and a video of me pulling the start cord but i have forgot how to load them up here. ah i really hope i haven't messed up my engine. oh ya and the spark plug is black i dunno if this is good or bad.

thanks guys and ya sorry i haven't been logged in for so long.

Chances are, you have just flooded it and the pull cord is so titght because you can't compress liquid.
For the time being, remove your killer b thing then clean your plug. Check it sparks and as you've said you already turned it upside down and pulled it over, you should be ok to pop your plug back in and check it starts - maybe best not to use the choke at first as you might still have residue in the cylinder/crankcase.

hay thanks for your quick reply how do i check is the spark plugs still sparks, i'm worried ill give myself some big electric shock lol, erm ya i took out the spark plug and did pretty much everything you said. one thing i forgot to mention was when i pulled the cord when the carb was off, i could hear the piston making a hissing sound when it compressed the fuel still inside the engine block. i'm about to load up a video now also so you can hear and see how hard it is to pull.
i'm so confused the only thing i didnt try is to unplug my killerbee i will try that now.

here is the link for the video of me trying to start the engine. ah i hope you can hear it ok and see it ok

Last edited by a moderator:
oh ya i forgot and when i turned the car upside down and pulled the start cord quite abit of like black oil dripped out i dunno if thats a good or bad thing eeek. thanks mike for your reply and further thanks to anyone else who can help :)

How old is the fuel oil mix that was in your tank? are you using 200ml of oil to 5ltr of petrol?

Checking your plug for a spark....

Clean it up, connect the ht lead and hold by the rubber cap, pull the pull start while holding the electrode bit of the plug to the cylinder head and it should spark - you may have to disconnect your killer b to do this.

hi there ya its a brand new batch of petrol to oil mixture, i threw the other mix away because id had it for about 6weeks. i have a mixing bottle so use ya where it says fuel to the one litre mark and then oil upto the 1/25 line thing. apparently the mixing bottle was the most reliable way to get the right mixture. im pretty sure the spark plug is ok as it was working fine just two days ago. i just cant understand why its so hard to pull.
have i damaged the engine somehow if i put to much of an oil mixture say like slightly more than 1/25. ahh man erm hmm im gonan go take the carb off again and try get more of the oil petrol mix out of the engine.

without the plug in, will the engine pull over easy?

If you're struggling, go and see Tony here....

Heaths Rc models
382 London Road
Hadleigh
Essex
SS7 2DA

He'll help you out.

hey mike good news well, i took out the spark plug totally and indeed like you said the pull cord did pull extremely easy, i then swapped the spark plug in my newer (carson ehe that i got recently im addicted to buying them ahh) and the one from my fg worked fine in the carson and visa versa, suddenlly after lots of tinkering and now the important bit! i unplugged the failsafe and re plugged it in and suddenly the engine pull cord became free!

i beleive the problems could be a mixture of slightly flooding the engine and the failsafe locking down the engine somehow hmm???

Did you remove the coil to hook up the killer bee? If so do you have the gap set properly and the coil is tight? I have had several Killer bee kill switches and never had a problem with them and do not see how it could lock up the motor unless you got a wire into the flywheel or between the coil and flywheel.

hey mike good news well, i took out the spark plug totally and indeed like you said the pull cord did pull extremely easy, i then swapped the spark plug in my newer (carson ehe that i got recently im addicted to buying them ahh) and the one from my fg worked fine in the carson and visa versa, suddenlly after lots of tinkering and now the important bit! i unplugged the failsafe and re plugged it in and suddenly the engine pull cord became free!

i beleive the problems could be a mixture of slightly flooding the engine and the failsafe locking down the engine somehow hmm???

i believe you tried to start it to many times without knowing you had a problem with the spark which caused the engine to flood and fuel siez the first thing you always should check when a motor wont start is spark

no spark no fire..... always check for spark its rule #1 rule #2 check its getting fuel and you cant go wrong

Troy

hey guys yep i checked the spark plug coil, because to start with then i first fitted the killerbee i did indeed not have the gap set properly. so i got all that sorted and i indeed first take off the pull start to check if the coil had slipped back down but hadn't, so thats what made me think oh this is odd.
i'm thinking it must be somehting to do with flooding the engine but as i say the spark plug still works fine so i'm a bit purplexed. what i don't get is the engine only freed up after i disconnected and reconnected the killerbee via the inline disconnect.

the reason it became free is because you removed the plug tured car upside down and pulled the pull starter to remove the fuel it has nothing to do with the killerbee kill switch

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks