hi guys sorry in wrong section, customs charges help? should seller pay

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new-fg-owner

heey guys ive ordered something from america of ebay payed the fees etc but now been told my items being held at gatwick untill i pay £30 in handling fees! is something that is the responsibility of the seller to pay? because im not to happy about paying it becuase it makes the item quite pricey!!

sorry this is wrong section, i'm a bit miffed lol just know you guys are good and might be able to help

the seller is a lovely guy hes helping alot, i just wanted your opinions because i don't want to be unfair to him as hes being fair at present :)

hey guys ah cool thats why i wanted to check with everyone to find out because i didnt want to be unfair to seller and start moaning at him etc. lukcily the item i've got still comes out as like £60 cheaper than if id bought it new here on the net or in a shop

I got the x2 plastic chassis from ddm and i got caught
in customs! They wernt out in the uk at the time and
i was the first to get one in the uk dave said :D

Anyhow its cost me £150 ish in total with customs!

If i waited it would of cost me only £80 ish quid!!

ah i see so its stupid customs thinking oh this persons got something for a good deal lets slap some money on top of it so he buys more expensive stuff from the uk. grr the country is a pain its really annoying, i mean it worked out to be £24 and then a further £8 delivery for parcel force.

so what the £24 is just like vat what a joke, i guess in the long way around buying from the uk is cheaper.

I always love the £8+ (it does go higher, trust me!!) handling fee, only for it to be delivered by the SAME people who would have been delivering it in the first place!!
Now I don't want to encourage people to break the law, but should the 'value' of the item be less than, say, $25, it would sail through .....
Some 'sales' go through at this value and nothing happens ...
Al.

What is the import limit over which every package outside EU is subject to tax and customa duties in UK?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a case of checking the customs limits for each individual country.
It is (was?) £18 in UK for a registered vendor (shop), £36 for a private individual.
Above these limits you pay 20% VAT + 'handling charge' which appears quite random, but may be both size and value dependent.

Al.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks