Giant Half-Scale Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ring and pinion

Got an angle grinder? Try pulling the head apart and you may find what you need.

Did you browse the link I provided?

what i plan on is a diff like the big top fueler use new era has something close just a spool for a gear carrier and live rear axle and the input pinion
the gears on the page u recomened seem a little small cannot tell the numbers on the page are greek to me

thanks doug:cool:

I had a bit of time to play around in the computer but haven't spent too much time in the shop.

Here are some renderings. I tried to get fancy with the graphics but the reflections only confuse things;

rear%2520end%2520render%25204.jpgrear%2520end%2520render%25205.jpg

rear%2520end%2520render%2520x%2520section.jpg

I made a small start on the shocks.

I machined a piece of tubing to length, then mounted it between centres;

Shock%2520Body%2520%25282%2529.jpg

There was 20 thou' on the diameter to remove to bring it to 1.875";

Shock%2520Body%2520%25284%2529.jpg

A relief cut was made and then a scratch cut to check the thread pitch;

Shock%2520Body%2520%25286%2529.jpgShock%2520Body%2520%25289%2529.jpg

And finished threaded;

Shock%2520Body%2520%252810%2529.jpg

Cheers!

Did you find your answers to steering angles already?

My opinion is that your proportions regarding the arm lengths and practically everything is looking good and rational. Good design. Maybe the only endurance issue that I see that only MIGHT become an issue with severe bashing is the frame cross-sectional area right behind the front axle housing. Maybe make the tube square slightly bigger in both dimensions, nothing else?

Thanks Al, I'm hoping it won't go much over a hundred pounds. I should probably take out an insurance policy on it. :lol:

JariV, thanks for your input and encouragement. I eyeballed a raptor's front suspension angles and made a guess at it. My CAD software allows me to manipulate the steering and swing arm movements. I played around and made a few adjustments so hopefully there won't be too much tire scrub or bump steer.

Cheers!

Kevin

Thanks Al, I'm hoping it won't go much over a hundred pounds. I should probably take out an insurance policy on it. :lol:

JariV, thanks for your input and encouragement. I eyeballed a raptor's front suspension angles and made a guess at it. My CAD software allows me to manipulate the steering and swing arm movements. I played around and made a few adjustments so hopefully there won't be too much tire scrub or bump steer.

Cheers!

Kevin

Be careful with Ackermann. Bump steering is nearly invisible in designs and can easily lead to the entire re-design and fabrication. I made a mistake with the big car that I built but I noticed it in very early stages and made alterations. Came out good. I like your approach and looks really good. Keep going and materialize your plan. I'l be watching your progress closely, this is interesting.

Very nice machining but you might want to think about making a guide bush for the shock shafts in the shaft end cap as it will cause metal on metal contact if you get some deflection in those 'o' rings.

In regards to oil I would personally run a light weight oil as it will change in viscosity a lot less than a heavy weight oil, maybe 350w and drill some small holes.
Start with 2 x 2mm holes and you could always add more or make them bigger.

what u going to use for a master cylinder if u don,t mind me asking? i love what u have do it is so cool.are those swiviles on the axles shafts snap on swivile sockets
'
'
'
' thanks doug

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

Allan, you are absolutely right, the nitrile o-rings have enough give to allow the shaft to wear into the caps. I'll fit an oilite or phosphor bronze bushing, as you suggested.

Cheers mooman, I'll be happy to help with whatever I can!

Thanks Doug, Here's what I've got; I'm not sure how I'll mount it or how big a servo I need to push it.

Buggy+brake+%25285%2529.jpg

KB

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks