Giant Half-Scale Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been wanting to scratch build a large scale buggy for some time and have made a small start.

Inspired by VassilisG's diff;

dsc00045wl.jpg

I made one of my own;

diff%25201.jpg

diff%25202.jpg

diff%25203.jpg

diff%25204.jpg

diff%25205.jpg

We will see how it holds up without the thrust bearings.

Eventually I hope to end up with a buggy that looks a little like a cross between these two, which are my main inspiration;

dsc01541r.jpg

dcp02382.jpg

Cheers,

Kevin

very nice work bud, i'llbe following this...i see you are in Vancouver...and can cut gears, may have to hook up with you some time...just about to start my foff jeep mk2...solid axle, twin powered hillclimber and will probably need some gears and splines doing

Fantastic work!!

Vass has moved to Vancouver then!!
Wondering why he was so quiet!!

In case you're wondering, it's a compliment, as Vass has been doing some equally astounding engineering work on other threads.

I vote you build a Monster Jam truck!!

Al.

Thank you very much for the kind words.

Mooman, I didn't cut the gears, they are pretty reasonable from https://sdp-si.com/eStore/ But I'd be happy to help you out with whatever I can.

Al, yes, Vaas has set the bar pretty high and has been a huge inspiration for me. I'll be happy if it turns out half as nice as his projects. I thought about a monster truck, but 4x4 would be quite a bit more work.

It was finally being able to get a cheap and powerful servo going which really allowed me to go for the build. As shown here; https://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=17345

I'm in the middle of some renovations at home so it will be hard to find the time to devote to a new project. But we will get there, one piece at a time.

Thanks!

KB

Scratch Built Buggy

Thanks WoodiE!

I've been playing with the front end design a bit. Below is a 3-d pdf.

If anyone has some advice or could point me to some good literature regarding steering geometry, IE; avoiding bump steer, Ackermann angle etc, I would really appreciate it.

For a servo saver I was think of having a shaft, free to slide in a housing, mounted to the horn, centred by some springs...

Edit; The pdf is too big, here are some pictures;

Front%2520end%2520top.jpg

Front%2520end%2520iso.jpg

Here is the general layout so far. Maybe shorten the front swing arms and widen the frame a bit?

Iso%2520render%2520RC%2520Buggy.jpg

front%2520render%2520RC%2520Buggy.jpg

top%2520render%25202%2520RC%2520Buggy%2520.jpg

The wheel centre's are 48 inches long and 33 inches wide. I've got a 70cc Honda copy for it but it will be a while before I can do any cutting and welding...

Cheers, KB

Al, I thought my mechanic in my avatar would want to go for a ride, but after printing out a full scale drawing, I'm thinking I could ride it!

I think you would have to call this half scale. This might be a bit ridiculous for size but will be fun to build. There could be some liability issues if it ever went out of control...

That's a T-Maxx for scale;

RC%2520Buggy%25201.jpg

What you you think?

KB

ring and pinion

hi everyone and happy new year. does anyone know where i could pick up a ring and pinion for a 1/5 dragster. going to use a spool and make the housing to just can not come with the gears any help would bfe greatly appreciated .hope everyone has a great year

doug:cool:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks