hoopty used 5b rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys! Just joined the forum, wanted to show everyone my very used and abused 5b SS I just picked up for $160! It needs a lot of work and I could really use some advice on the engine!

I pulled the engine out as soon as I got it home. I was unable to start it and figured the engine was in bad shape judging by the neglect and abuse of the rest of the buggy. Sure enough the cylinder has bad scoring, looks like sand went through the engine. Also discovered the side case, and a tab on one of the engine cases is broken. Also found broken fins on the flywheel. So my question is should I put a new top end on this engine along with a new flywheel, gaskets and bearings or spend the money on a new engine. If I rebuild my engine I can have the broken tabs on the engine and side case tig welded at work. I would like to keep this build inexpensive. Any opinions on just getting a 29cc rovan? I have been out of 5th scale for years and have no idea whats available. My last 26cc SS felt like it had pretty good power and was enough for me to enjoy ripping around the oregon dunes so that is all I want for this build (26-29cc) nothing crazy.

Excited to get parts ordered and start cleaning this thing up!

Here are a few pictured of the B5 as it sits now, excuse the mess I was in a hurry to get it apart so I could make a parts list. The last picture is the last 5B SS I built (the white one)

You can get a replacement CY 29cc for cheap. I know everyone recommends zenoah, and they're great, but I've had zero issues with CY engines. I'd steer clear of the rovans. Perhaps you get a decent, or you just might get a piece of junk. Good score on the baja. Thats a good price even with the bad engine.

Welcome to the forum. Other than the motor, looks to be in pretty good shape for what you paid.

Dang this delay kills any chance at having a conversation. I see you guys reply within minutes of each other and I try to have a conversation but all my messages have to be approved by a mod. Anyone know how long that lasts? I looked around in the forum rules and couldn't find any mention of it. Is it based on post count?

Dang this delay kills any chance at having a conversation. I see you guys reply within minutes of each other and I try to have a conversation but all my messages have to be approved by a mod. Anyone know how long that lasts? I looked around in the forum rules and couldn't find any mention of it. Is it based on post count?
?‍♂️ mod......? was that??‍♂️???

Hey welcome ? 160 it a awesome deal considering I got my best up one without motor, electrics,ect for 100.
Yeah definitely stay away from rovan motors, like they said. Get a nice zenoah or cy ?

Thanks, I agree very happy with the deal. Glad I asked advice on the rovans as I didn't know anything about them. Now the age old question of CY vs ZEN :ROFLMAO:

I guess judging by everyone's input they are both good so I can go wrong! :cool:

Thanks, I agree very happy with the deal. Glad I asked advice on the rovans as I didn't know anything about them. Now the age old question of CY vs ZEN :ROFLMAO:

I guess judging by everyone's input they are both good so I can go wrong! :cool:
Both are good, cy tho, has less aftermarket support. So there is less people that modify them to make more power, idk what the reasoning is , just not many people do it. Zenoah, has a ton of aftermarket support and that's the platform pretty much all the big engine builders use. So personally, I'd get Zenoah ? but either will be fine

what's your plan for the build? sweet deal. Ive been looking for a deal like this for months

I think ill go with a ZEN 290 I just don't think I need the 320, I know some of you think this is crazy (I have seen some of the insane builds on here). I was happy with my old stock 26 so 29 should be a nice upgrade. No crazy plans. I'm going to tear it completely down and replace or upgrade every worn out part. Its going to be run in the sand primarily so I'll be getting lots of pre-filters for everything. Would like it to look like my old one. I'll get a new engine coming soon along with a pipe. Also needs a new body, new bead-lock rings (don't like the yellow) and a ton of little parts. I have quite the list going. I'll keep this thread updated with progress and hope to keep getting advice! Just want a sold baja I can throw in the car and take to the coast.

Thanks!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks