How hot is not safe for a lipo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clubin

Build Thread Contributor
I have a max 5 and 56113 hobbywing in a xmaxx. After I run a set of packs through the packs are at 120f.
The weather is cool too.
im thinking the c rating is too low and the packs are struling to provide the power to the motor. These are the stock traxxas packs 6700 mah.
I bought a set of smc 8000 mah 120c think I might have to run that in there.
what you guys figure?

I don't understand how Traxxas continuously gets away with selling 25C batteries with all their rigs. This is way too low, even for a Traxxas Slash IMO. What actually amazes me more is that they don't seem to puff no matter how much abuse you put them through. But yes, for an XMaxx the stock Traxxas batteries are nowhere near good enough. I would recommend at least 60C if you're using a 5000mah battery at the bare minimum. In my experience anything lower than that will overheat and puff. Even at that rating, you'll be getting a very linear drop off at lower voltages (3.85V per cell and below) which would mean eg. a 5000mah pack is only good for about 3000mah before you need to stop and recharge. The higher C rated batteries will allow you to run down to 15-20% capacity without damaging the batteries since it has a more progressive discharge. You'l be able to hold the lower voltages constant for a longer time.

A local hobby shop that carries Traxxas once told me the reason they use low C rating batteries is to keep the power down and make their rigs more reliable. Fewer customer complaints for broken warranty parts claims.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks