How should I break-in my Zenoah or Chung Yang RC-style engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benckie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zenoah RC-style engines and clones are tuned for high performance and need to be well taken care of. Breaking-in an engine is a process of alternately heating and cooling the engine to allow all parts to properly seat themselves, and allowing 2-stroke oil from the incoming fuel to coat the interior of the engine. DDM recommends the following break-in procedure:

Use 91 octane or higher fuel, mixed 25:1 with a quality non-synthetic 2-stroke oil. (You can use synthetic oil for break-in also. Just run slightly more fuel through the engine. ) Run the engine at varying speeds for periods of 3 to 10 minutes at a time. During this break-in time, NEVER go full throttle. Always let the engine idle for 30 seconds before turning it off. Allow the engine to cool off for 10 minutes before starting it again. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times - 3 or 4 full "heat cycles".
After the break-in period, switch to a high-quality synthetic 2-stroke oil, mixed at 25:1. Be sure to let the engine idle for 30 seconds to cool before stopping. Be sure to follow the maintenance schedule included in your engine owners manual.

mix fuel at 25:1. fill tank set carb to knowingly rich settings. 1 1/2 on Low and 2 out on H. it may be too rich to start, so you may need to de flood and move the Low to 1 3/8ths out to get it to start and idle.

but start motor, give it a mild tune, drive gently for 5 or so minutes to get the motor good and warm. once its warm *(around 3 to 5 minutes in) put a decent tune on it staying just a tad rich on the needle settings.

drive it hard for 1/2 tank, go wot, just don't hold it wot for more than a 10 or 15 seconds. at 1/2 tank shut down and let it cool off. once cool start it back up. put the tune you want on it, and run it like you stole it.

Yup ...I run mine in like tim says...I am hard on engines......I destroy top ends pretty
quickly.....I run the hell out of it..If it is going to go it will.....Slawhammer

i believe you have to creat case pressures to get the ring to seat properly. getting the ring to seat properly in the first few runs of the motor is important. and to do that properly, imo, you have to take the motor to the upper rpm range, just don't hold it there until you know its well tuned.

Last edited:
I used to use the OB break in but under half throttle for 3 tanks takes more like 4 days LOL. Now I run it, warm it up and tune it basically. like my leaf blower got.

when i start any motor new or otherwise, i start it and for the first minute or two, just to warm up the motor. then for the next minute or 3 of running, i wont pin it and hold it wot.

just on a new motor, i leave it a bit rich, and don't hold it wot, for long durations for the first 1/2 a tank.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks