How to install KillerRC steel pull cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin.
Community Leader
Here is a quick How-to install Killer RC Stainless Steel Starter Cable. Overall it's a very simple installation but for those of you that want to see pictures here ya go!

What's included:

• Stainless steel cable
  • (2x) Washers [1 large and 1 small]
  • (3x) Copper stops
package-contents.jpg

The first thing to do after you've removed the pull start from the engine is to remove the handle by simply pulling the slip knot:

pull-knot.jpg

Once you have the handle removed unwind the rope from the pull start and set it aside.

Next slide the small washer down the stainless steel cable all the way to the end where the small ball stop is located.

stop-ball.jpg

Next feed the steel cable COUNTER clockwise and through the pull start opening:

cable-pulled.jpg

Next strip about a 1/4" inch of the plastic coating off the cable (I recommend using a lighter) and then feed the cable through the pull start handle, the large washer and then place one of the copper stops at the end of the cable:

cable-end.jpg

Then you simply smash the copper end with either a hammer, vise or pair of pliers. I'd recommend using either a vise or hammer myself, you want to make sure the copper end is firmly in place.

After you've smashed the copper end firmly in place you'll probably find your pull start looks a lot like mine; some slack or extra cable still not wound in the pull start:

cable-installed.jpg

This is very easily fixed by feeding some of that cable back into the pull start and placing it in the notch show at the top of my pull start spool and rotating the pull start spool COUNTER clock wise. 1 or 2 times should be more than plenty to pull in any of the extra slack.

Try not to go over 2 or 3 times as you'll wind your pull start spring very tightly. So again just do this 1 or 2 times as that should be all you need anyways - and that's it. You now have a bullet proof pull start - thanks to Killer RC!

pullstart-complete.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased with the new stainless steel cable. It's very cheap, around $10.00 and takes roughly 5 minutes to install. I really don't see how you can break this cable with normal use, in fact I'm sure you'll wear your engine out before you wear out this cable.

Of course, using the extra copper ends Killer RC supplies with each cable you can easily move the cable to your new engine :D

Woodie,

would it be better to match the lenght of the cable to the original rope, or do as you suggested to take up the slack?

I don't think that would be necessary, really just one or two turns should be all you need to pull in any extra slack. I would much rather wind the pull start that extra one or two times before going and making my pull start cable that much shorter.

There is a coating over the cable, and a very strong coating at that thus the reason I recommend using a lighter to "strip" some of the coating back before adding the copper end to the cable.

Just got mine. The hole in my copper stops is wayyy too small tro fit the cable in with out cutting a lot of strands off.. What gives?

Edit, nevermind. I cout off the end and restripped it. You need to give the open cable end a counterclockwise twist and it will fall right back into the grain and slide right into the stop. THANKS OP!!!

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks