How to make a engine gasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z.hb71

Build Thread Contributor
this is kinda embarrassing to ask and its a really newb question but how do I make a gasket for my engine? I need to make a reed gasket, carb gasket, intake manifold gasket, and a velocity stack gasket. also is there any "best" gasket material? i bought this stuff and it sucks ass, most the time when i cut it, it starts fraying or flaking off so to speak. needs to be alcohol (like methanol/ethanol/e85)

I've had a go at making gaskets before and they worked well.
Here's my gasket making kit, some leather punches and a pair of curved nail scissors I nicked off the mrs?View attachment 51079
I can't find the gasket paper but I got a mixed pack of A4 off ebay
ok so a punch is key for small holes, luckily i have 1, its a tapered one that goes to like 12mm or something (y) now the gasket paper to use
EDIT: typed in "A4 gasket meterial" and this is what showed up https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAD-GASKET-AND-MANIFOLD-MATERIAL-A4-SHEET-SIZE-X-2-/230701954075

iv made some for 1/1 cars and bikes. get some gasket material and a small ball end hammer(y)
take piece you want to make a gasket for and place the material on top of it rub the ball end on the edges to make an impression of the bit(y)
once you can see an outline tap with the ball end all the way round till it cuts through(y)
easy as that!

iv made some for 1/1 cars and bikes. get some gasket material and a small ball end hammer(y)
take piece you want to make a gasket for and place the material on top of it rub the ball end on the edges to make an impression of the bit(y)
once you can see an outline tap with the ball end all the way round till it cuts through(y)
easy as that!
thx!

OK after some research ive figured out that standard gasket material will desintigrate with e85 and methanol, but ive also figured out that i can use nitrile, viton, or buna N for gaskets, ill use nitrile for price and its more available.

Auto parts stores have the gasket material there in rolls. I used to make gaskets by hand for our engines. MAN what a pain. Until we had some made. Here is how I did it. Put four short screws in the cylinder hold down holes in the case with either with the heads cut off or in a lathe with a point on them. Place gaskget material over them and tap with hammer. Add the holes. Than with the holes in the paper. Bolt it back onto the case. Take a new sharp Exacto knife and cut the gasket where the case opening is. Now you have a gasket that fits and can do them in different thinkesses with the different materials.

If it is in your budget have a 3/32" or 1/8" slot cut in the back of your intake and velocity stack and use an o-ring of appropriate size as a gasket.
That won't fit my budget as of now. I would like to do that at one point tho, probably when I switch to a bigger carb I'll need to make a new manifold (bolt pattern is different) so when that time comes I'll do that ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks