How to tell Hpi to clone difference

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS 666

Looking at buying a Baja 5b ss well that is what I've been told it is since it is second hand. How can I tell if it is a genuine Hpi and not one of the other makes as I have read mixed opinions of other brands. Not that I am to concerned about buying a clone because you still spend money on all of them anyway it's just that you always want to know what you are buying is what it is supposed to be. Thanks for any advise.

I may be wrong, but from what I've read on here and other forums (clone wars topics make me piss laughing) most of the major hpi components have hpi molded on them. What I've also read is that the hpi clones like the KM and others have better quality parts anyway.

Im not interested in starting one of those which one is better or worse contests just want to know how to or if you can tell the difference when buying a second hand Hpi. Nothing worse than paying cash for something that is not as described and then finding out later you have been mislead.

I think the KM baja has a hoop over the spark plug. Most used baja's will have been hopped up so it might be more difficult to tell. Is there anyone nearby who could take a look for you? As said, get some pics posted & the lads on here will probably spot the tell tales signs.

I may be wrong, but from what I've read on here and other forums (clone wars topics make me piss laughing) most of the major hpi components have hpi molded on them. What I've also read is that the hpi clones like the KM and others have better quality parts anyway.

there is also a fine line (althogh most wont see it) and that is when does a genuine hpi stop being genuine ;). if you think about it eventually the majority of people replace parts be it from poor quality, failure, normal breakage, etc.

i personally think that once the baja has 50% or more in aftermarket parts it is no longer a genuine or a clone but in the case of originally being an hpi it is now a clone and if it started as a km or rovan then it is the clone of a clone :lol::lol:

From my reading of things the hpi has grey ball ends, on the steering and suspension and the rest are black. the main steering servo has rounded edges on the clone and hpi is rectangular. But saying that i've had both and they are the main parts that get changed anyway.

Seems to be reasonably hoped up with 4 bolt zen , alloy arms , metal cage, Dom exhaust ,hitec servos, etc. Does have the orange shocks and parts of chasis that I would believe is Hpi ss. I've only seen a couple of pics of this buggy so that is why I'm asking if there was a way to tell. Ok then it's not new and it's been modded. Probably no way to tell from some photos. I guess you just take a punt on it and buy it an flog the guts out of it and have fun.

Thanks for info. It's obviously difficult to tell them apart if they have had alot of parts changed and the best way to get one that is 100% genuine is new in box. But if most are like me I want hop ups more power bit of bling and reliability. So to buy a second hand baja I will base the price that I would pay for it on the fact that it is a used rc that I don't know who put together/treated and I would pull apart anyway and check and the hop ups that have been put on.

hpi plastics are dull & have a textured feel, wheres km's rovans are not they are smooth to touch :D

oh & serieal number on radio box?? please lol mine doesn't have that & its a genuine hpi baja!

-- The real HPI has a CY motor
-- The real HPI has a Black, gunmetal or purple chassis
-- The real HPI has black plastic suspension parts not grey, orange etc
-- The real HPI has the HPI logo on the main polycarbonate body at the base of the windshield
-- The real HPI has HPI brand servo's,Rx and Tx in the RTR versions
-- The real HPI has the HPI logo on one of the spokes of the wheels

-- The real HPI has a CY motor - no lol i changed it
-- The real HPI has a Black, gunmetal or purple chassis - yes
-- The real HPI has black plastic suspension parts not grey, orange etc - yes
-- The real HPI has the HPI logo on the main polycarbonate body at the base of the windshield - no lol
-- The real HPI has HPI brand servo's,Rx and Tx in the RTR versions - no only steerig servo (ss)
-- The real HPI has the HPI logo on one of the spokes of the wheels -yes

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks