How to tune a Zenoah engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OuttaLuck

Tuning a Zenoah engine.

MIXTURE SETTINGS.
Zenoah G230/G260/G290 RC (H) 1.1/2 turns (L) 1.1/4 turns
Settings may also be the same for the CY/Fuelie engines?

These are the factory settings on the mentioned engines. They are set according to local conditions. This is depending on the air filter, exhaust and climate conditions. Use the above settings as a starting guid line and depending on what your engine set up is, you will probally have to make some slight adjustments.

BASIC CARBURETOR ADJUSTMENT.
As I said earlier, the standard settings are just a guid line and most carbs have to be adjusted, If you feel that your no-load (L) or your full load (H) screws are completely misadjusted, then carefully close both screws. Then turning them anti clockwise follow the settings that are listed above.

STARTING A COLD ENGINE
Always make sure the throttle is in the closed position. Now apply the choke which is on the carb on the solo and Zenoah G230 or on the air filter on the earlier Zenoah engines. Press the primer pump located on the carb until the pump is full of fuel, this you will be able to see. Pull the handle until you hear the engine try and start, this usually takes 2-4 pulls. When you reach this stage, open the choke and give another couple of pulls. This should start your engine.

STARTING A WARM ENGINE
Make sure that there is fuel in your primer cap and that the choke is open, then pull cord.

BEFORE YOU START
Before you start to tune your engine there are a couple of basic things that you should check first. Firstly make sure that your spark plug is in good condition. You do this by simply scewing it out of the cylinder and checking it, if the electriod looks too oiled up then change it as it will make things a lot easier. Most plugs come with the gap pre set but it wont hurt to check to make sure its right. Secondly make sure you have enough fuel as it soon runs low with all that testing and reving, also make sure that your filter is on nice and secure with no possibilty of air leaks. And lastly make sure your batteries are nice and charged. Let us begin!

BASIC TUNING
This is based on the assumption that your car starts but is not runing right. Firstly make sure that you have the mixture settings set to the factory settings. This is quite important at this stage. Then Screw the idel scew in till it bites on the spring that it is set in, then give it one more full turn. Doing this should keep your revs up once you have pulled the starter and got her going. Before you pull the starter make sure your radio is on and working. Pull the starter and after a couple of pulls she should start, if not then you may have a problem which we will cover in our trouble shooter section. Whilst the car is running you will be able to tell if the engine is reving to high just by listening to it. If it is turn the idel screw out slightly(anti-clock wise), only slightly as the engine is still cold and does need to warm up, it is pointless trying to tune a cold engine. Drive the engine until it reaches working temperature. If you notice that the engine decelerates during acceleration, then your engine is running too lean. To rectifie this the no load screw L should be turned anti clockwise. Imagine the screw being a clock, then your adjustments have to be made in 5 minute turns, in other words very small movements. If the engine revs up slowly and runs rough under clouds of smoke, this means you are probally running with an over rich mixture. In this case you should turn the no load scew in clockwise by 5 mins at a time until you have rectified the problem. Run the car repeatedly making minor adjustments until you are happy with the way it is performing.

MAXIMUM REV RANGE
In order to adjust the maxium range of speed, lift the rear wheels and rev the engine shortly at maximum revs. Now you can adjust the Full load screw H to the left to lean off the mixture or to the right if too rich.You will hear the engine reaching its peak revs and you can also notice when it starts to loose the peak. The best way to tune your car is to run it on a track or field and make your adjustments after each run. Remember to make very slight adjustments at a time, this way you will see your improvements a lot better.

POINTS TO REMEMBER
When tuning your engine, after every run make sure you check the bubble on the carb. If this is empty after testing then this means your engine is too hot and running too lean. What you should be looking for is a full bubble or nearly full at least.

TOO MUCH SMOKE
You should also be aware of your engine if it smokes to much, this means it is running too rich and is getting too much fuel. To adjust this turn your L screw in by 5 mins, remember imagine that the screw is the face of a clock, small adjustments is all you need.

Tuning a Zenoah engine.

POINTS TO REMEMBER
When tuning your engine, after every run make sure you check the bubble on the carb. If this is empty after testing then this means your engine is too hot and running too lean. What you should be looking for is a full bubble or nearly full at least.

I thought it was the other way around, if the bubble was full it was running to lean, in other words don't using up the fuel in the bubble, and that you should have about a 1/2 in dia of air at the top of the bubble after it stop running.

That was my thoughts yes, but I'm open for me being wrong. Would like to know for sure at this point, as I have been running it the way I was taught for some time, and don't want to hurt my engine.

I thought it was the other way around, if the bubble was full it was running to lean, in other words don't using up the fuel in the bubble, and that you should have about a 1/2 in dia of air at the top of the bubble after it stop running.

(bubble will be empty) if its running lean you need more fuel
(bubble will be full) if its running rich you need less fuel

Nice write up. I would suggest though on the issue of smoke.

TOO MUCH SMOKE
You should also be aware of your engine if it smokes to much, this means it is running too rich and is getting too much fuel. To adjust this turn your L screw in by 5 mins, remember imagine that the screw is the face of a clock, small adjustments is all you need.

This can also depend on your oil.

(bubble will be empty) if its running lean you need more fuel
(bubble will be full) if its running rich you need less fuel

Yes, I understand what you wrote in your first post, I'm just not convinced that it's so. Any explantions to why it's lean when it's empty?
Any other that can confirm that this is the way it works?
Not trying to start anything, just want to be VERY sure that it's the way you say and not the other way around, as I have been checking my "tune" by this teori for some time, and by your word I have been doing it wrong.

So which way is the right way fella's....? kinda getting confused here. Sorry I'm new @1/5 scales. lol I kinda got what OuttaLuck was saying but I read the rest of the comments & that's where i got lost.

what don't you understand ?

So which way is the right way fella's....? kinda getting confused here. Sorry I'm new @1/5 scales. lol I kinda got what OuttaLuck was saying but I read the rest of the comments & that's where i got lost.

Lean is lack of fuel Rich is to much fuel, i run all me engines on the rich side

heres a question for everyone im running a 23cc when im give it gas she boggs at first mid range seems ok but she doesn't quite peak the rpm's and it has abit of a burble to it when its in hi revs. to lean u think ive never thought of checking the bubble after i run it but it always starts rite back up. she does idle a bit high

heres a question for everyone im running a 23cc when im give it gas she boggs at first mid range seems ok but she doesn't quite peak the rpm's and it has abit of a burble to it when its in hi revs. to lean u think ive never thought of checking the bubble after i run it but it always starts rite back up. she does idle a bit high

It be a multitude of things, but SOUNDS like low's a little lean, high's a little rich.
If in doubt, reset to Factory Specs and tune it - follow the guide - can't go far wrong.
Trip had a nice little video somewhere as well.
Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks