How-To Upgrade Your Manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigger the Better

LSF Plus Member
PLUS member
How-To Upgrade Your Manifold

Here is a quick tip on replacing your engines manifold/insulator. I will be using the word manifold in this how-to.
It’s quite easy and a beginner can do it. This is shown on a Baja, some items will not be included in your model, but this is the same on any model with a CY, Zenoah type engine.

The upgraded unit in this How-To is the ADA RC Manifold purchased from DDM part number AV540. These items can be purchased in many colors. I would recommend if you are adding this to your Baja model that you also add the PhatDad Inclined Shred Stack at the same time. This will also give you the gasket talked about at the end of the how-to for between the filter and carb. The stack How-To can be found in this section also.

You will first need to remove your filter system.
This is done on the Baja by removing the holder by pushing it in and down. I used pliers in the photo.

DSC07554.jpg

Next pull the center out. It is only held in place by the o-ring.

DSC07556.jpg

Now remove the filter base by removing the two screws or allen bolts that hold it to the manifold. This will also let the carb come loose from the manifold so hold the carb from falling.

DSC07557.jpg

Next remove the throttle rod from the carb by pushing the holder down the rod. This may be easier to do on other models before the removal is done.

DSC07560.jpg

After removal inspect your gaskets. This will tell you if the engine has had a gasket leak.

DSC07558.jpg
Clean off the carb completely with some carb cleaner and an old tooth brush. You can now inspect your carb for any defects or damage. Take care in inspecting the carb choke. It will be a bit loose but make sure it’s not too loose.

DSC07578.jpg

CLICK ON PHOTO FOR VIDEO:

th_MOV07579.jpg

Plug the manifold with something clean and clean the area around the insulator so not to get any debris in the intake port when removing the manifold.

DSC07569.jpg

Remove the manifold by removing the two allen screws that hold it onto the intake port.

DSC07592.jpg

Again inspect the two sides of the gasket for leakage.

DSC07593.jpg

This is a great time to look into your engine to see if there is any visual damage to the intake area. I recommend making sure you clean out the port before your inspection and reinstallation. I use Q tips.

DSC07598.jpg

Take your manifold out and match up the new gaskets. Make sure the small holes are matched with the gaskets. Both front and back.

DSC07604.jpg
DSC07605.jpg

Now before install make sure you match the manifold with the holes on the intake. The small hole needs to be open both in the gasket and the manifold.

DSC07607.jpg

Lock tight your screws and install your new manifold.

DSC07608.jpg
DSC07609.jpg

Make sure you tighten your manifold to the correct torque specs that can be found here.
https://www.largescaleforums.com/showpost.php?p=9272&postcount=2

Next you reinstall the carb in the opposite order. You may need to add a new gasket between the filter set up and the carb if the old one is worn or damaged. I would recommend buying a new one no matter what just in case.

DSC07612.jpg

Don’t forget the lock tight on the screws.

DSC07617.jpg
DSC07618.jpg

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks