Hpi 5sc refresh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Front and rear shock towers, tr front chassis plate, rear tr trans plate, tr billet pullstart, tr billet clutch housing and carrier it looks like, tr quickdiff, pipe.

Motor I'm not sure, I'd check the case to verify if it's obr

Front and rear shock towers, tr front chassis plate, rear tr trans plate, tr billet pullstart, tr billet clutch housing and carrier it looks like, tr quickdiff, pipe.

Motor I'm not sure, I'd check the case to verify if it's obr
All worthy modifications?

Going to pick it up tomorrow for $450. Figure it is atleast a 50% chance the motor is an OBR. If it is, somethings are obvious like if its a reedcase but how do you go about finding the CCs? Do their motors have serial numbers or casting numbers? Based off of what I have read 30-34cc is the popular range???

Going to pick it up tomorrow for $450. Figure it is atleast a 50% chance the motor is an OBR. If it is, somethings are obvious like if its a reedcase but how do you go about finding the CCs? Do their motors have serial numbers or casting numbers? Based off of what I have read 30-34cc is the popular range???
The engines will have engravings on the head and bottom of the case that say the model and the build date. And a 32-34 will have transfer port covers. 30.5 and under will not.

Sticker on the body and the KM racing insignia on the tires is a bit of a giveaway that it's most likely a King Motor clone of the HPI 5t SC. The motor "could" be OBR, but given the horizontal angle of the filter, it's most likely a piston port and not a reed case. Might be a 29.5 or 30.5 full mod from eons ago, but without the engraving as proof, it will be impossible to tell.

The TR racing pullstart looks legit, so it could be that the front and rear plates, shock tower supports and the quick diff are legit Turtle products. The pipe is either an early VRC or a clone. Only way to tell would be to see if it has the welded logo plate, which is not in the pics, or a side by side comparison with the real thing. It's in need of some serious TLC either way.

I also see an alloy clutch housing in one of the pics. This could be a bit of a gem if it's not all cheap clone bits. If you do end up getting it, I wish you luck in rehabilitation!

Last edited:
Just picked it up, appears to be a true HPI. The tires had been blown off and replaced with the KM ones. The motor is in fact an OBR, not sure the model yet. Has a bunch of TR parts and a pile of spare parts (tires, etc). Needs a new radio and a good cleaning.

A quick look it has a PS (pro stock?) 30.5 and a legit VRC pipe.

Last edited:
Nice now ditch that cheese 🧀 grater
It will hang around for a while. Luckily the two interchange a few parts, my kids can learn to drive it.

Got the OBR running. It had a loose spark plug wire, fixed it and it fired right up. I think it had ethanol blend in it. The fuel lines are rock hard and it had a slight idle surge for a while until is got some Rec 90 (100% gas) ran through it. I have a few questions about some of the parts.

Main chassis (is that what its called?) Turtle Racing brand?

20210712_202055.jpg

Stock shocks? And are the ends replaceable? The ball end on one of them is busted.

20210712_202424.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks