Hpi Baja 23cc stock HELP!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcmadman1020

Hey guys, I have a Hpi Baja 23cc stock standard. It starts, idles and reaches full throttle.

What I need help is, the car runs fine apart from when you go from neutral straight to full throttle, it bogs down a little. Before it’s suggested, I have riched but by bit and leaned it off with both needles! It has changed a fraction but that is it!

I did buy it second hand but I also have a rovan 26cc that doesn’t miss a beat and a Hpi Baja ss. When I bought it, I pulled out fuel tank and cleaned all out, replaced spark plug (hotter one), done air filter, I also thought it might have been the carby due to the fact that before I bought it the guy left a fair bit of fuel in it and so thought it might have been that, so I put a new carby on it. Same thing!

Any advice would be great ?

Yes as far as I know! I can check. I did notice last night that my spark plug was roughly 3 turns from completely tight! Could that have made a difference?

Just took it out and it did the same thing, not at first but then did! I went a little harder today and noticed this when I got back home! (Pics below). I checked the gearing and all looks good, and checked with owners manual and it is stock gearing. Check the pics out

Attachments

• C4544221-6E7F-4742-854F-8F60B1D022D1.jpeg
    C4544221-6E7F-4742-854F-8F60B1D022D1.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 67EC3F98-7EDC-4CE1-927B-5CDF56F82E55.jpeg
    67EC3F98-7EDC-4CE1-927B-5CDF56F82E55.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 9
  • E1944BF1-1680-4166-939B-CADFBD3A0887.jpeg
    E1944BF1-1680-4166-939B-CADFBD3A0887.jpeg
    86.3 KB · Views: 9
Sounds like a carborator issue. English is not my native language. What exactly is "bogs down"? How does the car behave when it 'bogs down'?

I also thought the carb, so i put a brand new one on but same thing! When its at idle, then you go straight to full throttle is when it bogs down, only for the first 1 - 1.5 seconds. It reaches full throttle great and can hold idle perfect, just that part really

can you put a baja ss pipe on to try?that can muffler gets clogged and will cause
problems..the stock fuel lines shrink over time and should be replaced,check gas cap
vent.spark plug should be ngk cmr7h,best plug to use.

Actually now that you mention it , I coinsidentally have a brand new HPI Baja ss kit on its way. So that being said I did plan to test that out. I did leave the old fuel filter in but cleaned the tank out, reason why I didn't replace is because It was only used a handful of times and it was only oil and fuel sitting in it. If the exhaust doesn't work, then what I plan to do is buy an aftermarket fuel tank with everything ready to go in case it could be.... I don't like the muffler that they come with. Yes i most certainly did get that plug before I used it i did the plug. However when i went to get the new spark plug (taking the old one with me to make sure it was right) they only had the same number and plug just the hotter plugs... Could that make a difference?

I don't know what "bogs down" means.
When i say bogs down, i mean it acts and sounds like it is running to rich on the bottom end. Then you go to take off from idle and it lags/bogs before it hits the high speed needle. I have tried meaning and richening both needles and same thing mate

Actually now that you mention it , I coinsidentally have a brand new HPI Baja ss kit on its way. So that being said I did plan to test that out. I did leave the old fuel filter in but cleaned the tank out, reason why I didn't replace is because It was only used a handful of times and it was only oil and fuel sitting in it. If the exhaust doesn't work, then what I plan to do is buy an aftermarket fuel tank with everything ready to go in case it could be.... I don't like the muffler that they come with. Yes i most certainly did get that plug before I used it i did the plug. However when i went to get the new spark plug (taking the old one with me to make sure it was right) they only had the same number and plug just the hotter plugs... Could that make a difference?
what is the number on the spark plug that you have?if you can remove the muffler,looking at the exhaust port
you can see piston and cylinder see if the are clean no scratches.

When i say bogs down, i mean it acts and sounds like it is running to rich on the bottom end. Then you go to take off from idle and it lags/bogs before it hits the high speed needle. I have tried meaning and richening both needles and same thing mate
check carb needle settings,good start would be 1 and 1/4 L and 1 and 1/5 H
check this you tube video do a search, excellent video
Fifth-Scale Engine Break-In and Tuning

I will do the needles and check out the break in clip mate. Where should I check for scratches? Just checked then and the spark plug number is CMR6H

I will do the needles and check out the break in clip mate. Where should I check for scratches? Just checked then and the spark plug number is CMR6H
ngk plugs the 6 is a hotter heat range than 7,recomend use ngk cmr7h
i would never run anything lower than 7,dosent fix anything and even mite cause detonation issues..
if you remove the muffler,you can look into the exhaust port and will see the cylinder and piston,use a flashlight
they should not have scratches..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks