HPI Baja vs. clone Bajas (cars and parts) comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JariV

I know majority will say the original is better and I have two of them.

I'd like to raise a discussion to really compare the aftermarket parts and cars regarding what is good and what not and why. These things eat up a paycheck with few clicks in the internet if your not careful.

So some parts are better and cost more. Some are cheaper. I'd like to know all opinions about parts or cars which have good cost efficiency.

So HPI vs KingMotors vs whatever vs hop-up part manufacturers vs Chinese copies vs Integy vs etc.

Chime in please.

Over the years there have been some manufacturers that really ensure their products are of good quality, like 'tuning FG', Flextek, 'option Team Losi', New Era, SuperMaxx to name a few I've encountered.

There are in-between like FLM, GPM, etc.

There are the Chenesium Specials like MOST of Integy - NOT ALL.

Original or Option? Choose carefully.

Always best to do a good search on the internet first, to see who's said what about it before. Obviously, it's an OPINION, and each and every one might vary slightly.

Some don't like Traxxas option parts, but I've invariably found them excellent on my smaller vehicles.

Probably, the bigger the name, the more development work they've performed in the interests of maintaining whatever reputation they may have.

Al.

One distinctive difference that I've found are the stock-style "starwheels". In the original the plastic itself is somewhat softer thus preventing it from cracking in subzero temps. KM equivalents tend to break easily. But during sommer the copycats are better because they have more reinforcement webs on the backside making the wheels more rigid.

I've found this out the hard way when I grind the starwheels to look like a Vette wheel the spokes get much narrower. Since the originals are weaker now than the copycats the originals tend to break but the copy wheels keep going.

I just never liked the look of the HPI Starwheel so much and therefore tried numerous beadlocks and then started cutting them.

I've noticed people commenting about how this or that is not made in China or HPI is better than KM etc. One guy even posted an article about how HPI is better then XYZ. I'm in the aerospace industry and have dealt with and tested various types of materials over 32 years. I took pieces of aluminum, steel, and plastic from KM/Rovan and HPI and sent them to our lab at Airbus Helicopters. There was not a nickels difference. 95 percent of our hobby products are sourced from china. There are some parts machined here in the US typically from Chinese sourced aluminum. Regardless, the aluminum is almost always 6061. 7075 parts are a rare exception.

To determine material type and degree of heat treat, you need a hardness tester at a minimum and material certs from the mfg. Don't let anyone try to fool you. There is no secret factory in the US making the 95% that comes from China.

The material and dimensional specs from an $1100 HPI and a $400 KM/Rovan are the SAME.

Short and sweet......my baja was an original hpi and I've replaced parts with hpi and km/rovan and haven't noticed any differences except in the prices.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks