HPI D-Box 2 for a 2WD 5T, is it worth buying?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChromaticWolf

Hey guys, I was wondering if this stability control system is good for controlling my 5T easier, specially the fact that I mostly drive on road and occasionally on dirt but it's very hard to handle the car with Tarmac Buster tires and even offroad when it goes over some big chunks or stones, I read the article for this product but it just sounds too good and I'm not sure if it's going to work just like how they said. Does anyone have experience with this? and btw my radio is Futaba 4PLS, not sure if it's compatible.
Here is a shot of my beauty:
MVIMG.jpg

its up to you when all said and done mate, but basically £76 uk for a gyro that just corrects steering is a tad steep in my opinion,
my advice is concentrate on your driving, learn throttle and steering control better and then if you still cant get the control you want then get one and try it (y),
the d box 2 isnt water proof either, so you will need to either bag it or fit inside the battery box somewhere,
just remember all it is is a steering assist/corrector, it's only connected between the rx and steering servo,,

its up to you when all said and done mate, but basically £76 uk for a gyro that just corrects steering is a tad steep in my opinion,
my advice is concentrate on your driving, learn throttle and steering control better and then if you still cant get the control you want then get one and try it (y),
the d box 2 isnt water proof either, so you will need to either bag it or fit inside the battery box somewhere,
just remember all it is is a steering assist/corrector, it's only connected between the rx and steering servo,,
Thanks, is there any other gyro model that is water proof and actually worth buying? I wanted to get these just because I LOVE drifting with my 5T so much, I thought this might help to actually get me into serious drifting on 2WD 😅

Thanks, is there any other gyro model that is water proof and actually worth buying? I wanted to get these just because I LOVE drifting with my 5T so much, I thought this might help to actually get me into serious drifting on 2WD 😅
basically do what miles said above mate ,practice practice and more practice and you will learn to drift without the d box (y)(y),
as for other gyros, i'm sure there are one or two out there, and i've seen some try to adapt aero/heli gyros to do the same,
but without much success,
when all said and done ask yerself a question, if the car version of the gyro is so good, why aint everybody making and selling em ?
my opinion is there a gimmick, they will work but as miles also said above, they probably fry yer servo after a while as well,

my advice is get yerself a set of onroad rims and tyres for car park and then you can swap between on road and offroad tyres easy,
then as your 5t is 2wd, mod the steering to get as much angle as ya can which will give you more control for drifting then practice (y)(y):D

basically do what miles said above mate ,practice practice and more practice and you will learn to drift without the d box (y)(y),
as for other gyros, i'm sure there are one or two out there, and i've seen some try to adapt aero/heli gyros to do the same,
but without much success,
when all said and done ask yerself a question, if the car version of the gyro is so good, why aint everybody making and selling em ?
my opinion is there a gimmick, they will work but as miles also said above, they probably fry yer servo after a while as well,

my advice is get yerself a set of onroad rims and tyres for car park and then you can swap between on road and offroad tyres easy,
then as your 5t is 2wd, mod the steering to get as much angle as ya can which will give you more control for drifting then practice (y)(y):D
Thanks, you are right, it truly sounds like a gimmick since there is not much opinion for these gyros.
I already have a set of on road tarmac busters as you can see in the pic, it mostly slides on the rears and it's a hell to drive.
Well as for practice, I wish I had all the time in the world just to play with my cute little 5t, as I love drifting with it, couldn't really afford the time, while I can afford a gyro, which as you said it's a gimmick, bummer.
You'll never get a car to drift with a gyro that's ment to stabilize the car when you need to shift the cars weight without opposition to get the car to initiate the drift.
Well that's weird though, because in their product page they say "The D-BOX 2 is the Secret Weapon for your driving and drifting!"

Last edited:
Thanks, you are right, it truly sounds like a gimmick since there is not much opinion for these gyros.
I already have a set of on road tarmac busters as you can see in the pic, it mostly slides on the rears and it's a hell to drive.
Well as for practice, I wish I had all the time in the world just to play with my cute little 5t, as I love drifting with it, couldn't really afford the time, while I can afford a gyro, which as you said it's a gimmick, bummer.

Well that's weird though, because in their product page they say "The D-BOX 2 is the Secret Weapon for your driving and drifting!"
This thread has expired. 😒

I say you yourself can be that gizmo that your looking at, it's all about technique and throttle control as mentioned. It won't happen overnite nor will you magically bolt in something that will mask poor driving habits and im not jabbing at you its looking at the scenario here.

Give us some bullet points here of what it is that you are absolutely wanting behavior wise with your rig and then we can point you in the direction for the correct parts to aid in your goal.

I'd start off with either a locker or very thick diff fluid of its drifting you want, also take into account center of gravity so you'll want to lower the rig and increase shock stiffness so you get less body roll which will want to flip your rig.

I say you yourself can be that gizmo that your looking at, it's all about technique and throttle control as mentioned. It won't happen overnite nor will you magically bolt in something that will mask poor driving habits and im not jabbing at you its looking at the scenario here.

Give us some bullet points here of what it is that you are absolutely wanting behavior wise with your rig and then we can point you in the direction for the correct parts to aid in your goal.

I'd start off with either a locker or very thick diff fluid of its drifting you want, also take into account center of gravity so you'll want to lower the rig and increase shock stiffness so you get less body roll which will want to flip your rig.
I totally agree with you so we forget about this gimmick. What I really want is to drift with my baja, although I know the sole purpose of this car is to jump and bounce around dirts (which I sometimes do but since we are city boys there is not much of dirts around me😅) I haven't really seen anywhere talking about drifting with baja but nonetheless I have sleek drift tires for this purpose. Having said that, I don't know if I should keep trying or forget about drifting with baja since it's a rear 2WD car, and not designed for drifts.

What gearing are you running? Go taller and you'll get less wheel spin which should equal more control in your drift. Baja ain't exactly a drifting machine so enjoy what ya got 👍

Edit: you should be running a 9k or 10k clutch spring to help break loose when up in the rpms

You should have the mustang version. It's pretty well set up for drift out of the gate. The higher rpm clutchbspring will help with a stock engine. More power will help as well. Initiating a drift in rc 1/5 gas is hard. The engine doesn't have the punch and the throttle/ brake controls suck for it. If your radio has the feature you should be able to program a brake curve and make the brakes come on fast and hard to help break friction then hammer throttle to initiate wheel spin. Your looking to do a very skilled task that takes practice in larger rigs and make it instant. Not gonna happen mate.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks