HPI roto starter shaft compatibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Chau

Hello, I have recently purchased rotostarter and purchased back-plate for my HPI Nitro T3.0 engine. To my surprise, the shaft that came with Exceed 1/10 & 1/8 Nitro Electric starter kit which comes with VX back-plate and the shaft doesn't fit the key hole on the HPI back-plate (purchase separately online). I've found rotostart compatibility guide from HPI site, however it mention 'STD' starter shaft w/o any part number or size shaft diameter. I can't find 'STD' online for shaft as they all have P/N # association. Can anybody tell me whether 87116 STARTER SHAFT WITH O-RING is the shaft that I need.

Maybe I am missing something but there are different sizes such as 225 mm and 285 mm even for 87116. I don't want to be surprise purchasing shaft that won't fit keyhole.

I have 2 HPI's right now planning on installing back-plate (Mustang EVO 1/10 and HPI Truggy 1/8). This current HPI back-plate is for Mustang and will soon get one for Truggy.

Do you have the hex shaft known as the nitro start or the roto start shaft that looks like a dog bone? They are different, so make sure you order the correct one. As far as the two sizes you mentioned they are just length, so measure the length you need to reach and convert it to mm. If your not sure just order the longer shaft.

Nitro start is the screw gun style

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180123-090953.png
    Screenshot_20180123-090953.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20180123-091014.png
    Screenshot_20180123-091014.png
    300.5 KB · Views: 5
Do you have the hex shaft known as the nitro start or the roto start shaft that looks like a dog bone? They are different, so make sure you order the correct one. As far as the two sizes you mentioned they are just length, so measure the length you need to reach and convert it to mm. If your not sure just order the longer shaft.

Nitro start is the screw gun style

Hi John, thanks for replying back to my request. What I have is the roto start with the shaft that looks like dog bone. It came with a shaft which I believe will only fit for VX engine as it came with backplate that fits my Redcat 1/10 buggies. Thank you for clarifying mm dimension refers to the length of the shaft only, nothing else. Well, I've recently made another purchase for "HPI Racing 87116 Starter Shaft w O Ring". Do you think it should fit all HPI backplate regardless 1/10 or 1/8 scale Nitro? I have HPI Mustang EVO 1/10 and HPI Truggy 1/8. I haven't purchase backplate for 1/8 scale yet thinking get some runtime see how reliable it will be over time. I don't want to have to keep replacing backplates and gears like I am going thru pull starts every so often.

Looking at the back plate of rotostart with keyhole, what's the likelihood that dirt and grime will get into the gears from the entry hole while driving hard and on dirt. I didn't think about this until had one to look at and got bit concerned. With pull start, it's totally sealed other than the cord which spring return back to hole... not a seal per say but at least closed. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your advice and help.

Kevin

You should have no joke in the back plates at all for dirt or anything to get in. Personally I don't like the roto start style since the 1 way bearing always goes out. If you can purchase the nitro start it is a much better option. That shaft should fit all roto start back plates as long as they are roto start and not nitro start.

You should have no joke in the back plates at all for dirt or anything to get in. Personally I don't like the roto start style since the 1 way bearing always goes out. If you can purchase the nitro start it is a much better option. That shaft should fit all roto start back plates as long as they are roto start and not nitro start.

John,
I've just received the HPI shaft and it looks like not compatible with the roto starter unit. The end that inserts into my roto-starter drill is hex w/o T cross pin like one came with roto start kit. See attach photo (black rod came with rotostart & silver rod is HPI with O-ring on end.

Oh well, I can live with 15$ bucks down the drain but looks like could attach to hand drill and use that assuming there's enough torque since going CCW, not CW on regular drill. The tip of HPI shaft does fit my HPI backplate which is given. Your thoughts much appreciated! Again, thanks again for entertaining my questions. I didn't know there is so many variance of shaft different style vehicles or would have just stay with pull start... less headache and $$. Lol... I never did look into nitro start, is that where you spin the bottom flywheel to turn your engine over on stand? Is that what you mean by nitro start.

Attachments

• IMG_4316.JPG
    IMG_4316.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks