Input shaft bearings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twitchfast

Anyone else had issues with their DBXL-E input shaft bearings? Haven't run mine too much but I installed alloy housings and bulkheads to hopefully mitigate the issue, seems like that wasn't enough to cure it.

It appears to me that the helical cut gearing is just applying too much thrust and wrecking the bearing race.

Hmm, yes this was a weak point on the 1.0 as well. Have you shimmed it to take out the for and aft play? That seemed to help, but they were still an issue. I was going to try and pop the seals out of the inner bearing so grease could get to them, but ended up selling mine off before I got around to it.

Hmm, yes this was a weak point on the 1.0 as well. Have you shimmed it to take out the for and aft play? That seemed to help, but they were still an issue. I was going to try and pop the seals out of the inner bearing so grease could get to them, but ended up selling mine off before I got around to it.
Coincidentally that's what I'm now doing, alongside trying Angular Contact bearings in hope they deal with the thrust load a bit better.
Ideally I would've used tapered rollers but they don't appear to exist in the size I require.

I don't think it helps I put BRPs on it and geared it up, thing wheel hops like hell.

Have you tried getting high speed industrial grade bearings from your local bearing shop?
That's what I use whenever bearings need replacing.
Better than RC grade stuff and cheaper.
I'm trying some weird ass bearings I hadn't heard of, Enduro Angular Contact bearings, they're quoted to handle a bit over 200kg of thrust so I'm hoping that will fix this.

Just replaced my neighbors in his dbxl-e 2.0... shredded the housing,gears,bearings,and the diff itself
That's what worries me haha, thankfully I caught mine before it did any damage, snapped a diff cup shaft and upon reassembly the bearing fell apart.

Thats what happened to his the outter pinion bearing exploded
Was that a plastic diff housing? Was curious since I either got lucky and snapped a diff cup shaft and caught it before it got worse.
Or the metal housing played some part in preventing imminent disaster.

Either way this was the cause of me pulling the front end apart:

Attachments

• IMG_20210409_220522.jpg
    IMG_20210409_220522.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 13
The bearings are just on the smallish side for the load imo. Always going out in my old dbxl. Get the best bearings you can find for it. don't bother with ceramics, they don't like getting shock loaded.

It was plastic. The housing and everything else destroyed would have been fine if he caught it and stopped. He just mashed it and went meh .... this is why I "pre trip" my rig as if im driving a cdl truck before I go out to run it. A $5 dollar bearing cost him 150 dollars in parts..... I caught a rear wheel bearing on my 5ive t 2 0 starting to grenade and I saved it from further destruction.

The bearings are just on the smallish side for the load imo. Always going out in my old dbxl. Get the best bearings you can find for it. don't bother with ceramics, they don't like getting shock loaded.
Yeah I've never liked the idea of ceramics for the setups I usually run, I'm always putting too much power in things and treating them like ass.
The plus side is that my stuff always gets maintained because I'm frequently wrecking bits.
Hoping these angular contact ones hold out.

Tell you what from watching my neighbors dbxl-e 2.0 that thing is violent when taking off. I do have to say I appreciate the fact that the gas rigs off idle aren't as violent and the bearings get to start rolling before all hell breaks loose especially with the big bores

You can program a punch limit with the throttle settings on the esc, or at least in programmable esc set ups. I had to do that to my savage when I went brushless with it, still destroys diffs on occasion just something to be aware of.

I went with the aluminum centre diff housing on EBay from China. Lots if play where the 2 bearings hold the diff. Haven’t had any problems with it and none other ones on my DBXL-E 1.0

My MGM doesn't necessarily have punch control, I can't remember the exact terminology but it's something akin to "acceleration delay", it's definitely not as violent as most ESCs I've tried.
However once you've exceeded the delay you program, it really lets loose, I've never seen wheel hopping like mine, genuinely feared my wheel would snap off.

If there's anything to be said for MGM, they really seem to prioritize safety of the electrics, and their customer support is brilliant.

I went with the aluminum centre diff housing on EBay from China. Lots if play where the 2 bearings hold the diff. Haven’t had any problems with it and none other ones on my DBXL-E 1.0
My 2.0 had the aluminium housing in the centre, which I moved to the rear since I was spooling the centre.
Now I've shimmed front and rear everything feels a lot better, just a matter of hoping these bearings can hold up.

Last edited:
There's supposed to be shims between the pinion gear and the first bearing. And even the stock plastic housing has some play...did you put atleast the 3 shims back in with the aluminum housing.

There's supposed to be shims between the pinion gear and the first bearing. And even the stock plastic housing has some play...did you put atleast the 3 shims back in with the aluminum housing.
The stock aluminum
there was no shims that I saw. The aluminum side of the housing had a ton of play so really didn’t know what to do. I ordered that centre diff mount, motor mount combo and it turned out real nice. No more play and the motor is on nice and tight.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks