IRC shocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougStar

Well Known Member
PLUS member
Build Thread Contributor
As you lot know I bought a set of irc shock for my sx5 build?? just started filling them up with silicon oil.... I have put 40wt in the rear and I have enough for 40wt all round?? couple things is like to point out 1. The springs are quite stiff, while I think this could be good and bad. No squat but maybe a bit bouncy. 2. The anodizing is not very thick/tough? Seemed to be scratched from the get go?? raw alloy showing through. Would have ordered raw to begin with had I known. Not much I can do about that..... I have mailed IRC TO female dog ABOUT IT? I'll wait and see what happens.?? but for now iv filled them and in just waiting for the bubbles to come out then I'll assemble

This should be interesting to see how you do. I ended up putting stiffer springs on the back and going with thicker oil front and rear. I went with 45 in the rear and 35 in the front. Still have the light springs on the front end.

One would have to watch how thick to go on oil ,the piston holes are only so big ,too much pressure could cause a blow out ,
The size holes that are in the piston makes a difference on how fast ,the fluids moves with in the shocks!

What i have come understand heavy oil makes for a slower moving piston ?? so its not always the right move
One would have to watch how thick to go on oil ,the piston holes are only so big ,too much pressure could cause a blow out ,
The size holes that are in the piston makes a difference on how fast ,the fluids moves with in the shocks!
+1? so new pistons ( more or bigger holes) also depends were you driving . On road stiff , loose spongy to soak up the bumps? starting to think its not a simple thing to get right?
This should be interesting to see how you do. I ended up putting stiffer springs on the back and going with thicker oil front and rear. I went with 45 in the rear and 35 in the front. Still have the light springs on the front end.
Coop at this point anything is better than what on my car now? where did you buy the heavy springs? IRC.?

Last edited:
What i have come understand heavy oil makes for a slower moving piston ?? so its not always the right move

+1? so new pistons ( more or bigger holes) also depends were you driving . On road stiff , loose spongy to soak up the bumps? starting to think its not a simple thing to get right?

Coop at thos point anything is better than what on my car now? where did you buy the heavy springs? IRC.?

I remember that some car kits come with different shock pistons with the shocks ,some have 2 holes ,an some have 3!

My guess is the 3 hole ,is to run a thicker fluid ,perhaps for rougher terrain ,I know years ago ,I went into a LHS ,a race
kit buggy sat on the counter ,I pushed on the suspension an noticed right away that it was a nice sweet feel ,as I
gently pushed down an let up ,it did not hesitate ,an it came right back up!

So ,one would have to experiment ,an just letting people know about the shock piston holes also play a role ,
not just the stiffness in the spring or how thick the fluid is!....:cool:

As you lot know I bought a set of irc shock for my sx5 build?? just started filling them up with silicon oil.... I have put 40wt in the rear and I have enough for 40wt all round?? couple things is like to point out 1. The springs are quite stiff, while I think this could be good and bad. No squat but maybe a bit bouncy. 2. The anodizing is not very thick/tough? Seemed to be scratched from the get go?? raw alloy showing through. Would have ordered raw to begin with had I known. Not much I can do about that..... I have mailed IRC TO female dog ABOUT IT? I'll wait and see what happens.?? but for now iv filled them and in just waiting for the bubbles to come out then I'll assemble
View attachment 52842View attachment 52843
Bit late to the party but, can you show sum pics of the anodizing flaws?
Great point there Cbaker! I will keep this in mind when I continue to tune my shocks.

I remember that some car kits come with different shock pistons with the shocks ,some have 2 holes ,an some have 3!

My guess is the 3 hole ,is to run a thicker fluid ,perhaps for rougher terrain ,I know years ago ,I went into a LHS ,a race
kit buggy sat on the counter ,I pushed on the suspension an noticed right away that it was a nice sweet feel ,as I
gently pushed down an let up ,it did not hesitate ,an it came right back up!

So ,one would have to experiment ,an just letting people know about the shock piston holes also play a role ,
not just the stiffness in the spring or how thick the fluid is!....:cool:
My losi shocks are sweet at the mo? very responsive ? 40 to 45 oil heavier springs? so ill be keen to see how it plays out with irc's

Coop at this point anything is better than what on my car now? where did you buy the heavy springs? IRC.?
Yup , I wanted t get medium for the front but he has nothing. Actually I'd like a set of Mediums for the rear too. So that I could swap back and forth as need be.

When I put the IRC's on originally I had 30 in rear and 25 in front recommended by DDM (which would make since in a stock 5b) . The buggy was pretty much on the ground and would not come back up if you pushed it down. And adjusting spring compression didn't do anything. I was actually very surprised and by that.

Last edited:
Yup , I wanted t get medium for the front but he has nothing. Actually I'd like a set of Mediums for the rear too. So that I could swap back and forth as need be.

When I put the IRC's on originally I had 30 in rear and 25 in front . The buggy was pretty much on the ground . And adjusting spring compression didn't do anything. I was actually very surprised and by that.
Hey coop?? I'm just fitting my irc's now so I'll see how they fit
Ride height ect

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks