Is a kill switch really necessary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Bascom

In a litigious society like ours, the fear of a heavy, run-away 1/5 scale car—smashing into limb and/or property, is an unbeatable marketing pitch to owners of large-scale RC, gas trucks/car.

But seriously, now! … How likely is that to happen? The thought to pen this point-of-view came to me, on the way home—prematurely—from a parking lot where I run my Redcat Rampage XR. I was driving home prematurely after my XR just stopped dead on the parking lot, and sat just there idling. I applied throttle. Nothing. It just sat there fretting. I squatted, looked at the throttle linkage, and saw it was full on the brakes. Then it hit me! The battery in the car was low and close to dead. The fail-safe had kicked in perfectly as it was designed to—depriving me of further throttle control. The car just sat there idling.

On the way home, I began thinking of RC run-away fears, and the need for a ‘kill-switch’. My car didn’t run away on me back there. So, what exactly can cause an RC car with a fail-safe, to by-pass the fail-safe and take off—maiming the innocent and destroying property? Hmmm. …

The ‘Super Bee’ promotional literature says: ‘The SuperBee kills your 2-cycle gas engine on command, during a radio glitch, low battery, or total battery power loss.’

But I had a low-battery situation and a subsequent ‘total battery power loss’ on that park, and I immediately lost control from my radio because the fail-safe in the battery box immediately kicked in. The engine didn’t die, but neither was it able to take off by itself: The wheels were locked, and the engine was just idling. Idling engine don’t just take off like that. Maybe they do, though I don’t know the scenario for such a happening.

So… do YOU need a ‘kill-switch’ on your engine? I don’t; and maybe you don’t too, if you do the following things: #1: Make sure that your brakes are calibrated correctly—that the linkage is set correctly, and when you push on your throttle trigger, the brakes are applied. #2: Take the time and hook up that very inexpensive fail-safe that comes with your truck/car; and that when you turn off your transmitter, the brakes are applied.

I’ll end on this note: If there are any large-scaler on this forum with a gas truck/car who had a had a ‘run-away’ situation, despite having proper brakes and a fail-safe installed, please share the experience.

PEACE!

Yes. Killswitch = Essential.
Yes, had runaway and it's damn scary to watch your rig heading for the horizon at WOT.
I believe it was a loose connection between the killswitch and the coil caused the switch to fail. Has not happened again since I redid all the connections.
Plenty of runaway videos on youtube if you want to see for yourself :eek: servos failing, lack of killswitch - Cheap radios like mine where the failsafe just puts the brakes on, will slow it down, might not stop 4+Hp @ 14k rpm though. Edit: That's if the servo is even working.
Plus, coolest feature of all - Killswitch allows you to shut off without bending down o_O

Yes. Killswitch = Essential.
Yes, had runaway and it's damn scary to watch your rig heading for the horizon at WOT.
I believe it was a loose connection between the killswitch and the coil caused the switch to fail. Has not happened again since I redid all the connections.
Plenty of runaway videos on youtube if you want to see for yourself :eek: servos failing, lack of killswitch - Cheap radios like mine where the failsafe just puts the brakes on, will slow it down, might not stop 4+Hp @ 14k rpm though. Edit: That's if the servo is even working.
Plus, coolest feature of all - Killswitch allows you to shut off without bending down o_O
Failing servos ... maybe a loose throttle servo horn... Hmmm. Good points, Ghibbert. PEACE!

Absolutely mate, no worries with a (working) killswitch - Whether it's mechanical or electrical, 5ths can go wrong with severe consequences.
Also, this reminds me of a "runaway" in a 1/1 diesel van years ago! Engine revving way past redline, so much white smoke pouring out of the exhaust I couldn't see the A55 behind me - managed to get it out of gear, pull over, then slam it back into gear to stall the engine.:eek: Fun!
Peace to you too Harold - Safe running mate!

A killswitch is not needed/necessary in order for you car to run..it'll run just fine without one

Should you WANT to install one? Well...yeah... ya should....just IN CASE you get into a situation where you want your car to NOT RUN.

For the amount of money it takes to get into this hobby and maintain/upgrade your vehicle..an extra $30-$60 is well worth it.
Ive heard some relying on the failsafe and or some rubber band thing...but ive never seen that in action..

Good reason to have a killswitch is in the videos below. BIG UP!!! DON.

1.The runnawy. (No killswitch). Notice when he finally gets to his car....that engine is still runnin...not idleing...
Skip to 4mins in the video if you don't want to watch all the preliminary stuff....ZERO control of that rig...see him messing with the radio..

2. The follow-up.

Last edited:
A killswitch is not needed/necessary in order for you car to run..it'll run just fine without one

Should you WANT to install one? Well...yeah... ya should....just IN CASE you get into a situation where you want your car to NOT RUN.

For the amount of money it takes to get into this hobby and maintain/upgrade your vehicle..an extra $30-$60 is well worth it.
Ive heard some relying on the failsafe and or some rubber band thing...but ive never seen that in action..

Good reason to have a killswitch is in the videos below. BIG UP!!! DON.

1.The runnawy. (No killswitch). Notice when he finally gets to his car....that engine is still runnin...not idleing...
Skip to 4mins in the video if you don't want to watch all the preliminary stuff....ZERO control of that rig...see him messing with the radio..

2. The follow-up.
All I can say about that run-away losi 5ive T, is "WOW!"

There are the results of out-of-control largescales on this forum and YT.
There may even be the odd video.
Personally, I think anybody not taking this hobby seriously, and not ensuring the maximum safety isn't responsible enough to own one!!
YES, checking all bolts every time, ensuring the radio set works every time, ensuring end points haven't changed and are optimally set, ensuring brakes are working effectively ..... means it should NEVER happen, BUT IT CAN!
It's not every time everybody performs all of the post- and pre-checks prior to 'having a bit of fun'. Most of the time, they get away with it.
It just needs that one time that servo arm bolt flops out, that throttle rod jams open ... and you've got the minimum of a trashed (very large and heavy) R/C.
Throw into that somebody taking the dog for a walk, with a couple of curious young children who get in the way of the 12-20 kg behemoth screaming at them at 30-50 mph and ....
AVOIDANCE is better than cure - period.
Al.

Throw into that somebody taking the dog for a walk, with a couple of curious young children who get in the way of the 12-20 kg behemoth screaming at them at 30-50 mph and ....
AVOIDANCE is better than cure - period.
Avoidance is right, got killswitch installed - still don't run when/where there are people or animals. Have left your local spot early despite long drive because kids turned up, talked to them like, one had a pullstart cord off me. But no more running. Local spot same, wait for the dogwalker or planespotter or kids to Do One.

Avoidance is right, got killswitch installed - still don't run when/where there are people or animals. Have left your local spot early despite long drive because kids turned up, talked to them like, one had a pullstart cord off me. But no more running. Local spot same, wait for the dogwalker or planespotter or kids to Do One.
I too, DO NOT run my Rampage XR when there are people or vehicles around. I ALWAYS find abandoned parking lots to run my RC cars--electric, nitro, or gas! I'm with you, Ghibbert. If by chance people with kids or kids show up, by chance, I pack up, go home.

Don't take a gamble, we have said it hundreds of times,kill switch should be your first upgrade period. no ifs, and or buts.Be safe and enjoy your truck Bro.

Never had a runaway myself since I always had a killswitch installed. But can remember several times it cut out the engine due to electrical fails. Never had to manually activate it yet though. Last time was during track day and one of the pins in the LiPo contact came loose and the car lost power. But engine cut out and the car only moved a few meters after that. Would have walled it into a shed otherwise.

Personally I am also terrible at keeping track of my fuel supply so its always nice to be able to cut it out when my engine starts to lean rev :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks