jetpro leakage!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewread

Hi all, i got a jetpro silenced pipe on my MT, but its leaking quite bad even though i have put new gaskets on, don't think it was doing it when it was brand new so don't think its where ive tightend it up on the cluch area and its pulled it away, any ideas? thanks

your jetpro.

hey matthewread

i will tell you that jetpros are a very good performing pipe but a disaster to fit.i bought mine new from hobbythek and they arent the best at all.

im going to help you out as follows as best i can.

1/ pipe doesn't line up with engine if you line it up to side plate or vise versa,(see ahead here to 4/ what to do with this)

2/yes some body trimming required but not much,if you go back along my thread (fg beetle rebuild) and look at the pics you will see.

3/ideally what you should do is mount pipe to engine securely and measure up for a new mounting bracket at side plate to be made up from you local fabricator.

4/ other option is run your bolts in to all fastning points at the same time,whilst keeping side place bolt loose finish in to engine,but make sure you have a start made in to side plate before you fasten head bolts as it will get tight,now this should work but will be very tight,you will have to apply the right torque to head bolts or it will blow out like you say happened.

5/
i just hope now that you havnt damaged your head bolt threads as you say its pulling it out from engine,any pics?

6/ very little trimming required for shell,it is physically possible to mount pipe with out trimming shell if you raise your body mount at the rear but the body does end up a little off..so maybe is better to trim it a little.

is the pipe silenced or not? good performing pipe though just a pain to fit at the start..

some pics would be great to see whats going on,maybe we could offer you more help then.

Last edited:
hey matthewread

i will tell you that jetpros are a very good performing pipe but a disaster to fit.i bought mine new from hobbythek and they arent the best at all.

im going to help you out as follows as best i can.

1/ pipe doesn't line up with engine if you line it up to side plate or vise versa,(see ahead here to 4/ what to do with this)

2/yes some body trimming required but not much,if you go back along my thread (fg beetle rebuild) and look at the pics you will see.

3/ideally what you should do is mount pipe to engine securely and measure up for a new mounting bracket at side plate to be made up from you local fabricator.

4/ other option is run your bolts in to all fastning points at the same time,whilst keeping side place bolt loose finish in to engine,but make sure you have a start made in to side plate before you fasten head bolts as it will get tight,now this should work but will be very tight,you will have to apply the right torque to head bolts or it will blow out like you say happened.

5/
i just hope now that you havnt damaged your head bolt threads as you say its pulling it out from engine,any pics?

6/ very little trimming required for shell,it is physically possible to mount pipe with out trimming shell if you raise your body mount at the rear but the body does end up a little off..so maybe is better to trim it a little.

is the pipe silenced or not? good performing pipe though just a pain to fit at the start..

some pics would be great to see whats going on,maybe we could offer you more help then.

i will get some pics on here soon of the braket not quite linning up with the whole it isnt that far out so i cant see how it would effect the head bolts cause i tighten them up fiest to make sure thats sealed up and then i put the side bolt in after it just take a bit of wiggling! my main concern is that the monster rear bumper and twin wheely bar wont fit around the pipe do you know if this will fit with my pipe? thanks

oh ok i had a lot of difficultys lining up my pipe on the mounting bracket and head.

anyway,i don't use a wheelie bar with mine at all i think they are stupid looking,my opinion..

yes one like trips will fit check out his truck on my attachments to my fg beetle rebuild,and bumper all should fit ok......

sorry i would need pics of your wheelie bar to judge it for myself.

Last edited:
oh ok i had a lot of difficultys lining up my pipe on the mounting bracket and head.

anyway,i don't use a wheelie bar with mine at all i think they are stupid looking,my opinion..

yes one like trips will fit check out his truck on my attachments to my fg beetle rebuild,and bumper all should fit ok......

sorry i would need pics of your wheelie bar to judge it for myself.

thing is i need one cause my car don't stop flipping over, if i don't put one on im gonna end up with a big whole in my pipe!! this is the wheely bar i want, the other two pics is my car

Attachments

• wheelie bar.jpg
    wheelie bar.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3094.jpg
    IMG_3094.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
If thats the wheelie bar your thinking of installing I don't see a problem with that fitting. Its a lot like the one you made.

Are you using a torque wrench to tighten the exhaust bolts? If not they will vibrate loose and allow leakage out the gasket. Once the gasket gets oil residue it breaks down and will need to be replaced. Get us a photo if we seem to not understand the issue.

On the fitting, is there a chance of a bigger hole or something in the bracket to make it fit. Again a photo may help here.
:helpsmilie:

With any luck it will fit better than mine! LOL I flipped my truck upside down w/o the body and bent the hell out of the pipe. Jet Pro said they would replace it for free!! ...But it was my mistake not theirs and they shouldn't have fix my mistake..

Trip..

NewCamera015.jpg

Good call!! I have a small piece of angle bracket (for hanging shelves) fabbed up. (not shown in photo) But thanks for the idea! You always come through for me BTB!!

Trip..

If thats the wheelie bar your thinking of installing I don't see a problem with that fitting. Its a lot like the one you made.

Are you using a torque wrench to tighten the exhaust bolts? If not they will vibrate loose and allow leakage out the gasket. Once the gasket gets oil residue it breaks down and will need to be replaced. Get us a photo if we seem to not understand the issue.

On the fitting, is there a chance of a bigger hole or something in the bracket to make it fit. Again a photo may help here.
:helpsmilie:

No not using a tourque wrench just an hex(alan) key doing them as tight as i can with that, the hole is only out slightly i can get the bolt in with i bit of a wiggle but do you think thats the prob then that when i tighten it up its opening it up? maybe ill try and tighten even more but don't want to shear them off!!

Attachments

• IMG_3097.jpg
    IMG_3097.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3102.jpg
    IMG_3102.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 11
Best thing you can do is get yourself a small torque wrench. There are many different items you can use to try getting into the tight areas. I was astonished by the difference of how tight it really gets with a torque wrench. On my DDM pipe the bolt actually dents into the pipe. I then coat the head to the pipe with a high temp epoxy so it cant vibrate loose from there. Since using a torque wrench to tighten mu head bolts I have not had one back out. (Knock on wood):)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks