jimbo1's Traxxas UDR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo1

Build Thread Contributor
Well here goes. it has landed at my workplace today

the box is alot larger than i was anticipating!!!!

i have been looking at one of these trucks ever since they came out and wanted to watch and see how the model was going to either be a flop or be everything it looked like it was going to be.

i was considering this or the losi super baja rey as i wanted something just for fun as i mainly race 1/8 & 1/5 buggy for my rc hobby. so i wanted something i could run at home or out and about.

i decided to go for the Traxxas as a bit of a change. I have never owned a Traxxas product but i have owned countless Losi/TLR cars before.

another reason i went for the Traxxas was the scale attention to detail that from the photos and videos i have watched seem super nice.

i normally buy used but there are not many about on the used market in the uk and when they do come up for sale they are asking silly prices, there is no way im paying that when you can buy new for £99 more lol

I will have to wait until later Tonight when i finish work before i can unpack it and dig in.

i will let you know what my first impressions are with lots of photos if i remember to take photos :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well first impressions out of the box is this truck is very nice indeed.

Observations:
Heavier than I expected.
The plastics seem very good quality.
The body is nice but very thin.
The battery compartment is ample for many different size lipo’s, I will only be using my 4s hard case race packs and they fit very snug width ways, you would not fit any wider than 45mm in there.
The battery tray locking clasp is a very good design.
The battery tray lid is a bit tricky to fit back in place and will take some getting used to.
The suspension is simply amazing, there is no other word for it.

Overall this thing is sturdy and I can’t wait to run it.

I have a steering servo waiting on stand by as the Traxxas one is known to fail.

I did plan on upgrading a few things straight away but as it seems very well built I will only upgrade as things break. I will let you all know along the way ?

Here are some photos.

If there are parts of the car you would like me to take photos of let me know?

Attachments

• BD980A78-C735-4369-8787-7BEF115738E6.jpeg
    BD980A78-C735-4369-8787-7BEF115738E6.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 3
Saaweet.

Great to see you have bought one. :)

It is a great truck.

A few things i would advise before you run it as it will be easier to do now before it gets dirty!

Strip the rear axle down and add some good quality grease. (i have a tub of Lucas Red & Tacky grease) I did mine a couple of weeks ago. It helps keep it cooler as it has the gear reduction unit which is what reduces the torque twist in the truck.

Id also refill the dampers with 500cst oil.
Some people have found theirs leaking. Mine were all fine and full, but it does improve the handling.

Also, add a little bit of support around the sills. As you noted, the body is a bit thin around the mounting holes there and they can split.

This is just some preventative maintenance tips. You don't need to do them, but i like to make sure my cars are running A1 for as long as possible.

I think once you see the light kit installed on mine, you may want to buy one ?
I meant to ask... did you get a Bluetooth Module free in the box?

I bought mine last June and some of them had the Bluetooth module included as a free gift

Saaweet.

Great to see you have bought one. :)

It is a great truck.

A few things i would advise before you run it as it will be easier to do now before it gets dirty!

Strip the rear axle down and add some good quality grease. (i have a tub of Lucas Red & Tacky grease) I did mine a couple of weeks ago. It helps keep it cooler as it has the gear reduction unit which is what reduces the torque twist in the truck.

Id also refill the dampers with 500cst oil.
Some people have found theirs leaking. Mine were all fine and full, but it does improve the handling.

Also, add a little bit of support around the sills. As you noted, the body is a bit thin around the mounting holes there and they can split.

This is just some preventative maintenance tips. You don't need to do them, but i like to make sure my cars are running A1 for as long as possible.

I think once you see the light kit installed on mine, you may want to buy one ?
I meant to ask... did you get a Bluetooth Module free in the box?

I bought mine last June and some of them had the Bluetooth module included as a free gift

thanks.

think i will actually replace the servo before i run it to save any aggro down the line.

while the body is off i will try and support the bottom edges.

i will check the shocks also as the front does seem very light and possibly change the shock oil.

do i need to re-grease the internal planetary gears or just the ring and pinion?

and no free bluetooth module. maybe with the price drop they left it out lol

Last edited:
thanks.

think i will actually replace the servo before i run it to save any aggro down the line.

while the body is off i will try and support the bottom edges.

i will check the shocks also as the front does seem very light and possibly change the shock oil.

do i need to re-grease the internal planetary gears or just the ring and pinion?

and no free bluetooth module. maybe with the price drop they left it out lol

I would regrease the whole lot to be honest. It won't hurt.

Servo swap is a good shout before you run it. Some have been unlucky and it's failed on the first run cutting short their running

I recognise that car in the background...
Is that where you work?

Last edited:
I would regrease the whole lot to be honest. It won't hurt.

Servo swap is a good shout before you run it. Some have been unlucky and it's failed on the first run cutting short their running

I recognise that car in the background...
Is that where you work?
Yes i work at a heritage garage.

Here is the servo im going with. Its not the fastest but its what i have spare lol 49508

I thought so. I drive past it everyday.

Do you pop next door for lunch lol

Anything will be better than the stock one. Its the one they fit in the Trx4 Crawler and its under powered in that thing!

I thought so. I drive past it everyday.

Do you pop next door for lunch lol

Anything will be better than the stock one. Its the one they fit in the Trx4 Crawler and its under powered in that thing!

haha i only have 30mins for lunch so don't have the time.
we used to have our xmas meal there, was very nice, but it has since changed owners so we now go to the old owners new pub called the pear, its the old dudsbury pub lol

this srt servo is a 20kg servo so should be ok hopefully

i have some white marine grease which i think will be ok for the rear axle?

haha i only have 30mins for lunch so don't have the time.
we used to have our xmas meal there, was very nice, but it has since changed owners so we now go to the old owners new pub called the pear, its the old dudsbury pub lol

this srt servo is a 20kg servo so should be ok hopefully

i have some white marine grease which i think will be ok for the rear axle?

Not sure on that grease. I went with the red and tacky as it was recommended on the Traxxas forum. Seems to work well.
What time do you finish work? I have loads left in the pot. Might as well drop it in on my way home one day

20kg is plenty. The Savox 1256 I have is the same as that.

Not sure on that grease. I went with the red and tacky as it was recommended on the Traxxas forum. Seems to work well.
What time do you finish work? I have loads left in the pot. Might as well drop it in on my way home one day

20kg is plenty. The Savox 1256 I have is the same as that.

thanks. i finsish at 5pm but 4 pm on fridays. don't worry too much but feel free to stop by.

i have some castrol axle grease i use on my 1;1 cars so that should do the trick :LOL:

going to take the body off the udr tonite but i need to wait for my traxxas connectors to come in the post before i can make up a patch lead for my xt90 lipo connectors so i can centre the steering servo before fitting

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks