JT3 Vekta build log.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats probably why.
i just got a paper towel and wiped the screw threads
With stuff this small IDK, but on my equipment at work I've put in bolts with red loctite and even under extreme pressures and hundreds of hours of non-stop vibration they never even came close to backing out. So be very careful what you put that stuff on lol...

It depends on the application with the loctite. I've worked on rotary crushers and you have to use the green metal lock on every bolt and nut in the impactor. Red come loose after about an hour. If theres even a trace of oil or grease the red wont set up properly. Larger bolts don't seem to have the issues the smaller ones do. Easier to clean I suppose.
Also there is or was a accelerator/primer that loctite sold. I haven't used it often. But I remember it stank like crazy and cost a lot for the little bit you got. But man did it work. Turn blue into bolt crazy glue and red more or less set up if you took too long to tighten the bolt up.

So I got off work early today due to the weather and decided to start tearing apart the Vekta. I put in the TR steering link, the Vertigo upper steering brace, and the Vertigo chassis brace. I also put my shock boots on. I don't think I put the boots on the right way, they don't look as clean at top and bottom as most people's boots do, but I don't really care as I ordered blue and then ended up changing my mind about my color scheme afterward, so they won't be on long. Here's a few pics.
1592948116096.png
1592948127991.png
1592948138966.png
1592948147916.png
I also had my first casualty. My 3mm ball end hex (DDM) snapped off in the bolt that holds the chassis brace to the steering brace. I managed to get the ball out of the bolt with a couple of picks, a pair of needle nose pliers, and a magnetic pick up tool.

1592948095770.png
1592948106621.png
Side note... what do you guys use to work on the 1/5 vehicles in regards to a stand? I've been looking at the axis, but it's sold out everywhere.

I use the rigid stand from homedepot $30View attachment 60551View attachment 60552
They have the axis stand at Detroit performance for $99 plus shipping
https://www.detroitperformancerc.com/product-page/axis-stand-fixture
I like that ridgid stand, that's pretty nice. That $99 part at Detroit is only the top plate heh... the stand itself is like 400. But it has a tool tray built in and you can buy a swivel for it which lets you have the chassis facing you or away from you or whatever. It's just a ridiculous amount of money.

You know what I bet would work really well... I think I actually remember hearing somebody say this, but Heat-shrink tubing...
The tools have arrived... Still just waiting on the engine. Been about 2 weeks so far. Hopefully, it'll be here next week!

View attachment 60315
Look to be well covered. I can't get by without T-handle hex's. The new Matco ones are sweeeeeeeet. Few other companies make similar ones. Super fast when hand wrenching is appropriate.?15929527880483984883002952435295.jpg

Attachments

• 20200604_110541.jpg
    20200604_110541.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 2
Since y'all are talking about hex bits, il throw my vote in (since my poop is always broke and I'm always wrenching ?). I use the DDM shorty bits (the long ones will be fine too , Shorty's were just so cheap). And bhondus t handles. Both are great options and have handled my abuse ,no problem. Also I have some kenexis/dynamite ones, but they are kinda poop.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks