Just got my Baja 5b, how can i make this thing quieter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Fishing

Well i just received my Baja 5b,
I went through it yesterday making sure everything was tight, disassembled the transmission to verify diff fluid, and Loctite.
Found the rear diff had very little to no diff fluid, but they did use some Loctite!
Out of the box the trans felt pretty rough, so taking it apart to clean it up and putting it back together with some 60k weight diff fluid, removing the trash that they called grease from the gears and used some areoshell i had laying around sure slicked it up.

Anyways,
Today i started breaking in the enging, did a few heat cycles following what i learned with dirtbikes years ago, idle 20 min, cool off completely with the piston at TDC
And then start running it in.
Currently it's at about 16:1 using redline 2 stroke oil for the first few engine load heat cycles.

anyways, everything is going great!
Took it for some good passes in my culdesac...
This thing is noticeably louder than my nitro rc cars!

Sounds awesome and all, but I'm looking for some options to tone it down just a tad.

I'm curious if anyone else had the same issue, and had a resolution that won't look retarded. :geek:

At least it's cheap!
And yeah... i might give that a shot.

This thing is pretty awesome, totally a chainsaw engine. lol

I'm out there jumping snow mounds and tearing up the snow on my lawn.
Knocked some rocks out of my neighbors sidewalk landscaping and spent a good 5 min cleaning it up... whoops! :LOL:

Another heat cycle in, slowly bring it down to 25:1...

Once i have some good run time in, I have some 100% nitro that i mix into my chainsaw fuel.
A little goes a long ways...

Hmmm :LOL:
Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol , silencer cheap and quiet , and you get to keep your power !
https://www.rovanrc.com/product-rv95247
Yup, that's the stupid looking option.
Have a little dangler hanging off of the exhaust tip..

Still an option...

At least it's cheap!
And yeah... i might give that a shot.

This thing is pretty awesome, totally a chainsaw engine. lol

I'm out there jumping snow mounds and tearing up the snow on my lawn.
Knocked some rocks out of my neighbors sidewalk landscaping and spent a good 5 min cleaning it up... whoops! :LOL:

Another heat cycle in, slowly bring it down to 25:1...

Once i have some good run time in, I have some 100% nitro that i mix into my chainsaw fuel.
A little goes a long ways...

Hmmm :LOL:

Yup, that's the stupid looking option.
Have a little dangler hanging off of the exhaust tip..

Still an option...
you wanted quiet ! are you CRUZIN the BLVD or killing chit havin fun ????

walbro spiral diaphragm, i have been wanting to try one of those out...

And so far i haven't had an issue with the yard equipment, just don't use RC car fuel with the alcohol.
That stuff did weird things, and the oil they use does not mix well with gas.
I'm also using pure gas, luckily it's available down the street.
And yeah, loosing that powerband would make me a sad panda... ;)

I was thinking i need to grab some elbows and try facing the exhaust down first.
Just need a little less echo ringing through the neighborhood...

Well i have to say, i'm happy i went with this vs a losi truggy to bash around the yard with.

Parts appear to be cheaper and more available as well.
Final selling feature, with nitro you need to replace the connecting rods after a few gallons.
The RTR engine that comes with the losi, they sell just the cylinder, piston, and rod as a kit.
Wth!
Cylinder and piston lasts a while in a nitro, but the connecting rod... lol
I could upgrade the engine, and then i can get just the connecting rod...

Then i saw that engine parts are about the same price or cheaper for these, and from my chainsaw i know i'll just need a top end here and there...
I also learned that you must let these warm up before having fun...
(Something about pistons heating up faster than the cylinder or some nonsense :rolleyes:)

And that exhaust looks awesome, I just want a rear exit!
(like god intended it)

:LOL:

Also, getting back into the hobby...
WTF happened to the kits??!

All of this RTR bull crap.
I would have loved to do a kit with this rc, that way I could put it together right vs fixing crap that the assembler did.

Get that and rip feking ballz ???
View attachment 69104
Doug I think that's the polar opposite of what he wants ??‍♂️?
Well i have to say, i'm happy i went with this vs a losi truggy to bash around the yard with.

Parts appear to be cheaper and more available as well.
Final selling feature, with nitro you need to replace the connecting rods after a few gallons.
The RTR engine that comes with the losi, they sell just the cylinder, piston, and rod as a kit.
Wth!
Cylinder and piston lasts a while in a nitro, but the connecting rod... lol
I could upgrade the engine, and then i can get just the connecting rod...

Then i saw that engine parts are about the same price or cheaper for these, and from my chainsaw i know i'll just need a top end here and there...
I also learned that you must let these warm up before having fun...
(Something about pistons heating up faster than the cylinder or some nonsense :rolleyes:)

And that exhaust looks awesome, I just want a rear exit!
(like god intended it)

:LOL:

Also, getting back into the hobby...
WTF happened to the kits??!

All of this RTR bull crap.
I would have loved to do a kit with this rc, that way I could put it together right vs fixing crap that the assembler did.
Definitely let it warm up, you will cause accelerated wear if you don't. That is, if you even care about the life of the engine. Also, there are some kits in 1/5 ,like the kraken vekta lse and the Losi 5ive B ,but generally people want the rtr ones nowadays becuase they are cheaper (?) even if that means low quality. I'd like baja ss kits back.

I got the solution for you...
LEARN TO LIKE THE SOUND!
Also, I’m pretty sure that your supposed to put the piston at BDC when breaking in
+1?? gas car = loud growl?
Ps @Rcjunkie its not a nitro bud??
Doug I think that's the polar opposite of what he wants ??‍♂️?
I know right??? "If its too loud your too old?" ????

Doesn't matter what position you put the piston in when the engine is stopped,tdc,bdc, doesn't matter. I just put it at bdc just for the hell of it,it's a habbit that carried over from my nitro days.
+1?? gas car = loud growl?
Ps @Rcjunkie its not a nitro bud??

I know right??? "If its too loud your too old?" ????
Loud is gooood ???? if it ain't blasting your eardrums every time it passes you you ain't doing it right ?????

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks