Kill switch for new 5T?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Macdonald

I have a Killer RC switch on my Baja clone and it works flawlessly. Turn off radio and it kills the motor. I can kill the motor with a button on the radio. It's just the stock radio/receiver from King Motor.

My Losi on the other hand is a different story. I just assumed it would work there as well. Apparently not. I installed it as usual and plugged it into the extra channel on the receiver. First of all there's no way I can see to kill the motor from the transmitter using a button (no buttons except bind). Much worse, turning off the transmitter does not have any effect on the truck -- it just keeps going.

So a few questions here:

1. Is the Killer RC the right switch to use?
2. How can I get it to work with the 5T?
3. If I need a new radio/receiver, what do you recommend?
4. Does the Losi come from factory with failsafe enabled, or did installing the Killer switch somehow disable it?

Thanks guys!

Imo answers:

1. Yes.

2. The killerbee will not work with the AVC from spektrum. I think there is a way to assign it to that little knob on the radio yhat comes with the 5ive but you have to disable the avc when binding in order to get it to work.

3. If you want to get another radio/reciever..try the flysky 3tgb. Decent inexpensive radio, inexpensive tiny receivers, good range and you can hack. I saw one on ebay today..brand new fir under 10 bucks including shipping(slow boat from china).
The killer bee works perfectly with it...i use it with the DBXL.

4. I don't remember..

Hope this helps

Imo answers:

1. Yes.

2. The killerbee will not work with the AVC from spektrum. I think there is a way to assign it to that little knob on the radio yhat comes with the 5ive but you have to disable the avc when binding in order to get it to work.

3. If you want to get another radio/reciever..try the flysky 3tgb. Decent inexpensive radio, inexpensive tiny receivers, good range and you can hack. I saw one on ebay today..brand new fir under 10 bucks including shipping(slow boat from china).
The killer bee works perfectly with it...i use it with the DBXL.

4. I don't remember..

Hope this helps
Thanks for the advice Whoduh. Flysky looks like a good option but I'm not seeing many available from here. I'll keep that unit in mind for sure.

I'm considering ordering a Futaba 4PLS today. Anyone have any feedback on that radio in general (with a 2017 Losi 5T), or specifically in combination with the Killer RC switch?

The Futaba says battery warning if nimh but the new Losi comes with LiPo. That's about the only issue I can see. Wouldn't be a big deal as long as Killer switch cuts ignition if battery dies.

My main concern is that the Futaba / Killer RC combo are able to stop/kill the truck with radio signal loss, and also the capability to kill remotely with a button.

@Steve Macdonald - the 4PLS will be the last radio you buy for a very long time. They are top notch radios and well worth the money indeed. Get yourself a LiFe battery pack while you're at it as well, they are lighter and last a lot longer than AA batteries.

@Steve Macdonald - the 4PLS will be the last radio you buy for a very long time. They are top notch radios and well worth the money indeed. Get yourself a LiFe battery pack while you're at it as well, they are lighter and last a lot longer than AA batteries.
WoodiE - thanks for the suggestion re the battery. I'll pick one up asap. Should have the Futaba in a couple days.

If you REALLY want to spend...Futaba has that 7 channel radio coming out soon.
7PX
http://www.futabarc.com/systems/futk4908-7px/index.php
Wow - what an awesome radio! I think I'll start with the 4PLS for now :)

I am really happy with the 3PV for my 5ive-T. With the R304SB you also get telemetry options and reciever pack battery status from the box.
Really well priced as well :) I see no reason to go for the 4PLS unless you will need the extra fourth channel?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks