How long can you store gas in the car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I USED THE CAR ABOUT 3 TIMES, PUT THE CAR AWAY. WENT TO START THE CAR AND IT WILL NOT FIRE, HOW LONG CAN YOU STORE GAS IN THE CAR.
Gas shouldnt store gas in the car for more than a week. Actually its best to drain all the fuel when ur done and throw it away. What I'd do is next time you buy gas, put ethanol stabilizer in the fuel so the gas lasts longer

ABOUT 3 WEEKS TO A MONTH NOT REALLY SURE .
Yeah that's probably too long. So if the gas is the problem, you learned something new, don't let gas sit for to long, becuase of the ethanol that will attract moisture and contaminate the fuel, so to help with this is, buy yourself some ethanol stabilizer and pour some of that into ur gas when u mix the oil and the gas and it should help the gas last a bit longer (Ive heard from a video that the guys gas lasted a year and was still good cuz of that stabilizer) ?

Yeah that's probably too long. So if the gas is the problem, you learned something new, don't let gas sit for to long, becuase of the ethanol that will attract moisture and contaminate the fuel, so to help with this is, buy yourself some ethanol stabilizer and pour some of that into ur gas when u mix the oil and the gas and it should help the gas last a bit longer (Ive heard from a video that the guys gas lasted a year and was still good cuz of that stabilizer) ?
IT was ethanol free gas
caseys sells ethanol free gas for a little more money.

Attachments

• caseys.png
    caseys.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
That's not to long. Your issue lies somewhere else. Gas is usually fine for a few months. It may lose a point or two but certainly wont lose its combustion power. If you have a killswitch double check it, if you don't you likely flooded it.

With that said, take your car and put it on something where all 4 wheels are off the ground not touching anything. If your running a killswitch disconnect the main wire going to engine. Unbolt your carb, take it off (you can leave fuel line connected) then pull until it fires. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 pulls. It will fire, rev out and die. Reassemble and you should he good to go

Ran with 8 year old gas when I brought the ole girl out of retirement last winter. I mixed the old crap into a fresh can to fuel her up, but the old stuff was still in the carb and lines. Prior to that, I started her up on 4 year old gas that was in the tank without any fresh stuff, after she just sat in a garage. She was a female dog to start without a choke, but still fired up eventually and ran. I don't buy the idea that gas isn't use-able after x number of weeks. That poop is designed to stay in sealed storage for years, and our fuel tanks are pretty well sealed against the elements, though oxidation can still happen. Old uncontaminated gas will still explode, just not as well as fresh stuff. I mean really, how often would you empty the tank on your gas powered weed eater or lawn mower? Nitro fuel sure!, it's hygroscopic as hell, but gasoline is not so sensitive, even with ethanol in it.

I would check the spark plug. Just pull it out and ground it against the motor and pull a few times. You should see a bright blue/white spark every revolution. Try this with a fresh plug first, just to ensure that's not the problem. If that's not happening, remove your killswitch (if you have one) and try again, if still nothing, check your ignition gap. It's possible the ignition wasn't bolted down completely and has shifted away from the flywheel magnet during your last run and needs to be regapped.

If you're getting spark, and fuel, the only thing left to check is compression, but so long as you've been running a clean air filter and not feeding your engine rocks, it should still turn over, even with low compression.

Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out!

That's not to long. Your issue lies somewhere else. Gas is usually fine for a few months. It may lose a point or two but certainly wont lose its combustion power. If you have a killswitch double check it, if you don't you likely flooded it.

With that said, take your car and put it on something where all 4 wheels are off the ground not touching anything. If your running a killswitch disconnect the main wire going to engine. Unbolt your carb, take it off (you can leave fuel line connected) then pull until it fires. It shouldn't take more than 5-10 pulls. It will fire, rev out and die. Reassemble and you should he good to go
did what you said it works fine, thanks john

I USED THE CAR ABOUT 3 TIMES, PUT THE CAR AWAY. WENT TO START THE CAR AND IT WILL NOT FIRE, HOW LONG CAN YOU STORE GAS IN THE CAR.
If I keep gas in the tank on my Losi & Vekta, I always start them once a week and clean the plug after I shut them down.
If I don't run them for a while, I empty the tank and suck the gas out of the fuel lines.
I always change the plug once I am ready to run them again.
This works for me.
DDM suggest never to leave gas in the tank and to pull the battery and discharge it in storage mode until you run again.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks