King Motor Bajas reliable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongdex

Hi, I am looking into 1/5 Baja gas. I have considered the King Motors 5B, Rovan 5b, and FS 5b. Which out of these are the most reliable? I heard King Motors has engine problems and the metal is not good. Otherwise, the King Motors is good?:D

Hi, I am looking into 1/5 Baja gas. I have considered the King Motors 5B, Rovan 5b, and FS 5b. Which out of these are the most reliable? I heard King Motors has engine problems and the metal is not good. Otherwise, the King Motors is good?:D
i have the king motor t1000..it has the 2 speed gearing and the 30.5cc motor..i have beat the thing and have broke parts(i wreck hard,so they should have broke,my fault:lol:)but overall the truck is sweet and fast,and in my opion well worth the money.as with engine problems that could be with any 1/5 scale..mine is very good and runs strong..im going to buy the baja buggy next.. i am very happy with my king motor,hope this helps my friend

km quality has seemed to have stepped up some. mine hasnt broken a thing yet, motor is a 29cc and still runs fine. its mainly in how ya treat it, i think, if you go all dukes of hazzard with it, yah stuffs gonna bust, but same can be said of ANY of the brands.

thing is, if you can afford a hpi, thats great, if not the KM will save you intial bucks, and money saved can go into upgrades, so you end up, dependin on how much of saved money you spend, a baja thats very comparible to a hpi.

and some of those upgrades don't come standard on a hpi, so your ahead of game there. Dan on ebay sells both rovans and km, but if your wanting decent baja and not spend over a K outright for a stock baja then a KM is way to go.

few things no matter what you get you will need to do:
1. break diff down and check the fluid, some are right and some arent hardly any in it.
2. a killer bee
3. outerweares for air and PS.
4. with some of money saved, get a alloy split diff case housing, so when you check that diff fluid in #1, you can install this on reinstall. makes it waaay faster to service diff next time, or even multi diffs swap on the fly.

really dig this km baja,,,,,,,,,,,,,beat it up and it takes it! put a two speed locker in it and it lifts the front end all the way off the ground when it hits second!! major cool!!

I got mine new. Last year,30.5cc version. I changed shock oil,checked the diff. Put in a NGK and then broke in the engine. Since then in a years time i have beat the ever living sh** out of it. Only failure for me was the servos. But i use my dx3r with it so i contribute that to those failing. But over the years time i tore the engine apart and did some home port work and resealed it good. Seemed like it was not sealed well from the factory. But after port work the stock carb lacked. So on went a Walboro 990 carb. No show just all go!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345484208194.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345484208194.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 44
Yeah go with the King Motor car. I have had mine since last fall and the only major failures have been the servos, the pipe broke and I had to rebuild the top end (my fault though). I put in Hitec servos, a "Afterburner" style pipe and a 29cc top end kit. I couldnt be happier with it, when I actually get time to drive it.

If you want, do like I did, I purchased the buggy roller and just installed my engine and electronics of choice, only problem I had was a stripped nut on the shock tower and this I discovered when I put the class 1 cage kit on it. and because I built it my way, haven't had a problem with it. Rovan just announced a sale where you buy a buggy kit and they will thrown in a bunch of upgrades and parts for free, look it up, might be a good deal for you. Good luck with what you choose.

IMG_1110.JPG IMG_1112.JPG IMG_1111.JPG Ok I just joined and I am new to 1/5 scale as I have never even had one running in front of my eyes. I don't have a big budget so after reading some of the blogs and vlogs I opted in for a king motor X2. Dan was great through the order and the delivery was great so the unboxing...... rusty exhaust pipe, rusty throttle linkage, some brown goo in the middle of the chassis, little specs of oil all over. So that being said I charged the battery and put batteries in the remote and got my mixed gas ready and here we go I primed the carb and screwed the idle screw in and pulled the starter and it rolled maybe 1.5 times and it would not return so I pulled the starter off and the pawl is broken. So can any body tell me I messed up buying this thing or is this normal? A thousand bucks and can't run the thing I'm very far away from a hobby shop and I have e-mailed Dan with no replies yet. Has anyone had these issues and explain what this is? Thanks for any help.

No you didn't mess up, we have all had these growing pains, get a metal pawl for the pull starter,reset your needles to factory settings, sometimes they come way off from the factory and try again and see if it starts. The pipe, well sooner or later it gets a little ugly, but you wont be looking at the pipe when you run the truck, so that's just a cosmetic thing, or just polish it. Maybe the truck was sitting around for awhile. Dan is a very good guy, he'll get back to you and make it right. For know, take the truck apart from front to rear, check oil levels in all 3 diffs and shocks, Loctite all metal to metal fasteners, that's half the battle and required for all 5t scales, don't give up, keep at it, and when you get stuck, lots of guys here have the same model and can help you out. Go get em.

No you didn't mess up, we have all had these growing pains, get a metal pawl for the pull starter,reset your needles to factory settings, sometimes they come way off from the factory and try again and see if it starts. The pipe, well sooner or later it gets a little ugly, but you wont be looking at the pipe when you run the truck, so that's just a cosmetic thing, or just polish it. Maybe the truck was sitting around for awhile. Dan is a very good guy, he'll get back to you and make it right. For know, take the truck apart from front to rear, check oil levels in all 3 diffs and shocks, Loctite all metal to metal fasteners, that's half the battle and required for all 5t scales, don't give up, keep at it, and when you get stuck, lots of guys here have the same model and can help you out. Go get em.
Thanks for the input. I'm hoping for the best. I live off grid basically and it takes me 1.5 hours to get to a hobby shop but I'm going tomorrow and see if they are open I can get some diff oil and a new pawl or complete pull start if they are open. As for Dan he so far has been great so I'm sure he will probably send me a new one and thanks again I feel somewhat better.

View attachment 11098 View attachment 11099 View attachment 11100 Ok I just joined and I am new to 1/5 scale as I have never even had one running in front of my eyes. I don't have a big budget so after reading some of the blogs and vlogs I opted in for a king motor X2. Dan was great through the order and the delivery was great so the unboxing...... rusty exhaust pipe, rusty throttle linkage, some brown goo in the middle of the chassis, little specs of oil all over. So that being said I charged the battery and put batteries in the remote and got my mixed gas ready and here we go I primed the carb and screwed the idle screw in and pulled the starter and it rolled maybe 1.5 times and it would not return so I pulled the starter off and the pawl is broken. So can any body tell me I messed up buying this thing or is this normal? A thousand bucks and can't run the thing I'm very far away from a hobby shop and I have e-mailed Dan with no replies yet. Has anyone had these issues and explain what this is? Thanks for any help.
That looks like it was returned, and resold.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks