Large-scale gas or large-scale electrics? Whats your poison?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harold Bascom

My 30-year relationship with RC began with 1/10 scale electrics while imagining they carried gasoline/petrol engines; and is the reason I moved to nitro in the quest for an RC closer to the real thing: the sound and smell of a full-scale motor vehicle. It was, therefore, no wonder that my quest for realism in sound and smell has landed me in the realm of fifth-scale gassers.

Here be nirvana.

One night, however, I stumbled on a YouTube 'unboxing' of a gas-powered FG SPORTSLINE Mercedes fifth-scale beauty. My Gawd! It was sweet to look at with the body on and off. With the body off It was, to me, a marvel of mechanical engineering. But then ... but then the proud owner murmured something to the effect that it looked nice but that he had already sent for 'the electric conversion kit'.

I couldn't believe it. That guy was going to strip out that engine and replace it with an electric motor? It was a 'WTF?' moment; but only a for moment. I thought of the amazing Traxxas XO-1; I thought of full-scale cars like the TESLA MODEL S and other electric cars gaining in popularity; I thought of the FORMULA E (Electric) series and said to myself: "Oh, well. To each his/her own. We all have choices." Bottomline: Fifth scale of every power-mode is huge fun.

And to think if it, I'd better start warming up to that switch to fifth-scale electrics, just in case that rap comes on my door and it turns out to be that kind-faced cop telling me that there was a noise-nuisance complaint from a neighbor.

It's gas for me 4 ever. Started in 1994 with an RC10GT stadium truck. Had an O.S.Max .12 engine, then a .15 and finally a .18. Ended up having 3 RC10GT's Traxxas Jato 3.3 with an O.S. .21TM, T-Maxx 3.3, and an HPI Savage X 4.6 that ended up with a sweet LRP engine. Nitro was my thing. The smell, sound, tuning, wrenching was part of why i loved it so much, and still do.

Then came 5th scale. I had always wanted to get into bigger RC's but the initial cost was crazy to me until the Baja 5b came along. I told my wife what i wanted fof Christmas and there it was under the of DEC. 2014. Boy my mind was blown. I sold all my other RC cars and now i have a Losi DBXL and a now nicely modified Baja. Looking tongetting my next 5th scale by the end of the year and again it will be a gasser.

I love the smell of ethanol free 93 octane, love the popping of that 2 stroke, love the smoke, tuning the carb, etc. To me electric lacks a soul. Too quiet, 20 - 40 minute run times, no smoke, no popping, just a bzzzzzzzzzzzzz and thats it. To each their own but i will always be a petrol head, a grease monkey.

It's gas for me 4 ever. Started in 1994 with an RC10GT stadium truck. Had an O.S.Max .12 engine, then a .15 and finally a .18. Ended up having 3 RC10GT's Traxxas Jato 3.3 with an O.S. .21TM, T-Maxx 3.3, and an HPI Savage X 4.6 that ended up with a sweet LRP engine. Nitro was my thing. The smell, sound, tuning, wrenching was part of why i loved it so much, and still do.

Then came 5th scale. I had always wanted to get into bigger RC's but the initial cost was crazy to me until the Baja 5b came along. I told my wife what i wanted fof Christmas and there it was under the of DEC. 2014. Boy my mind was blown. I sold all my other RC cars and now i have a Losi DBXL and a now nicely modified Baja. Looking tongetting my next 5th scale by the end of the year and again it will be a gasser.

I love the smell of ethanol free 93 octane, love the popping of that 2 stroke, love the smoke, tuning the carb, etc. To me electric lacks a soul. Too quiet, 20 - 40 minute run times, no smoke, no popping, just a bzzzzzzzzzzzzz and thats it. To each their own but i will always be a petrol head, a grease monkey.
Beautifully expressed, Nasim. My Gawd! Your passion came through there, my brother! PEACE!

I am very new to 5th scale and especial gas RC. While I am having uphill battles here and there, I absolutely love the fact that these engines are in RC cars! I have had battery powered cars in the past, but gas is something very special.

All the pride you feel once you get everything dialed in, and then you have the upgraded parts that look awesome! It is very exciting to hear it when someone takes out their car for the first time and you smell that gas/oil mixture!

I am very new to 5th scale and especial gas RC. While I am having uphill battles here and there, I absolutely love the fact that these engines are in RC cars! I have had battery powered cars in the past, but gas is something very special.

All the pride you feel once you get everything dialed in, and then you have the upgraded parts that look awesome! It is very exciting to hear it when someone takes out their car for the first time and you smell that gas/oil mixture!
The pride that's felt when, for some reason that 2-stroke engine won't fire, and you never give up. And then it makes that initial wanna-start sound, and you fiddle with those needles some more and it runs a bit longer; and you fiddle some more--and that engine ROARS into life. I've had so much of moments like this, and learn something new every time.
RC is happiness; it's a joy many of us only wish we can share with our non-rc mates and friends, but they often look at us and mumble how crazy we are, below their breaths. Lol. But that's okay.

The pride that's felt when, for some reason that 2-stroke engine won't fire, and you never give up. And then it makes that initial wanna-start sound, and you fiddle with those needles some more and it runs a bit longer; and you fiddle some more--and that engine ROARS into life. I've had so much of moments like this, and learn something new every time.
RC is happiness; it's a joy many of us only wish we can share with our non-rc mates and friends, but they often look at us and mumble how crazy we are, below their breaths. Lol. But that's okay.
Amen to that brother.

hahaha! mine's the same, she can't understand why I enjoy having them :confused: - I've tried explaining the appeal and appreciation as to their design of what's involved, but that led to a confused face... so I simply usher her back to her Coronation Street and Facebook :rolleyes:

But petrol defiantly for me, the largescale electrics are amazingly quick (and OUCH expensive), but to me that leccy fizzz sound isn't the same character as the 2-stroke's. When I started racing electric cars again almost 4yrs ago for some fun at my local club, I was that used to hearing the sound of an engine'd RC that I could hear what the car was doing and that helps you to drive with a lot more ease having that extra sense. But with the electric I began to struggle a bit as all I had to rely on was sight when it becomes quite far away on a track. I've become used to it again but losing that sense seemed to put a taint on my liking of electric at first. So, I prefer the smells and sounds of an engine!

hahaha! mine's the same, she can't understand why I enjoy having them :confused: - I've tried explaining the appeal and appreciation as to their design of what's involved, but that led to a confused face... so I simply usher her back to her Coronation Street and Facebook :rolleyes:

But petrol defiantly for me, the largescale electrics are amazingly quick (and OUCH expensive), but to me that leccy fizzz sound isn't the same character as the 2-stroke's. When I started racing electric cars again almost 4yrs ago for some fun at my local club, I was that used to hearing the sound of an engine'd RC that I could hear what the car was doing and that helps you to drive with a lot more ease having that extra sense. But with the electric I began to struggle a bit as all I had to rely on was sight when it becomes quite far away on a track. I've become used to it again but losing that sense seemed to put a taint on my liking of electric at first. So, I prefer the smells and sounds of an engine!
There's something to love about the 'sound' of a 2-stroke engine in a large-scale RC car. Lemme put it like this: I'm a Formula 1 fanatic, and last year, after the literal bzzzzzzzzzzzzz of Formula E cars got louder, I said to myself, "I'm going to look at a few of its races." And I did. But there was nothing exciting for me in watching electric-powered cars whizzzzzzing around. Something was SO missing. Our brother-in-rc said it best: 'Electric rc has no soul.'

Ok I will fly the electric flag here :) I converted to electric 3 years ago and can't imagine changing back, I just love the simplicity and crazy performance without the hassle of clutches / brakes / fuel mixing / and general mess lol

It is a problem if you want to go out for the day and just keep blasting around, but saying that, at Bashfest last year I did more laps running Electric than I ever have done with petrol. Purely down to no running issues, nothing to fix or setup ! just charge and go. Running times now around 35 minutes although I don't think its wise to run a 1/5 scale for more than 30 minutes due to servos and diffs getting very hot

Ok I will fly the electric flag here :) I converted to electric 3 years ago and can't imagine changing back, I just love the simplicity and crazy performance without the hassle of clutches / brakes / fuel mixing / and general mess lol

It is a problem if you want to go out for the day and just keep blasting around, but saying that, at Bashfest last year I did more laps running Electric than I ever have done with petrol. Purely down to no running issues, nothing to fix or setup ! just charge and go. Running times now around 35 minutes although I don't think its wise to run a 1/5 scale for more than 30 minutes due to servos and diffs getting very hot
Hey, hey, hey, Timbo. Happy to get your POV. I was wondering about the 'electric silence.' As I will continue to say: to each his/her own. I KNEW there were things to be said from the large-scale electric point of view and you've expressed it well. Bottomline: LARGE-SCALE FOREVER!
PEACE!

Agree completely Harold its a great hobby for sure, yes its quiet but that also means I can run at the Beach and my local park with no frowns and moans from the locals lol

One thing for sure electric power is going to grow massively over next few years, there is a new type of battery coming out at some point called Lithium Metal which will double the storage capacity ! needless to say if that then gives a 1/5 scale 1 hour run times peoples view might change even more.

Just love the way tech develops

I just love 5th scale gas because of the realism. Most rc cars are supper light and way over powered. this makes them drive well like rc cars. 5th scale gas has a more realistic power to weight ratio witch makes it drive like a scale car.

I just love 5th scale gas because of the realism. Most rc cars are supper light and way over powered. this makes them drive well like rc cars. 5th scale gas has a more realistic power to weight ratio witch makes it drive like a scale car.
Agree. I'm no fan of electric but i am ipressed with the speed they can achieve with 8s lipo and up. That being said I love the realism of gas. I love the sound, smell, maintenance, etc. Gas life 4ever for me but i do tip my hat to electric.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks