Large scale nitro?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21bangbang

Has a well-known member
Build Thread Contributor
Anyone ever seen one of these? Kinda looks nitro, but has valves so is 4 stroke I assume. Its a magnum xl of unknown displacement. Its a bit more than half the size of my cy29cc. Local carb shop had it laying around so gave it to me. I would love to cram it into one of my tmaxx's. 20200103_112751.jpg20200103_112738.jpg

So after a little looking around, I found very similar ones that are 19.6cc. Thats one big ass nitro. I don't fly planes, wonder if any way exists to put it in a truck. Sure would be cool. The thing is massive.

It may not be nitro, the larger displacement air engines could be had in gas, nitro, or methanol (least likely) from the bit I know about them. The carb and ignition source basically determined what you could run in them. Does it have a glow plug in it or a goofy tiny spark plug? (If it had anything in it). The brand is magnum, There should be some sort of designation on it to determine what it is. Ie 52, 91. They are sold in standard sizes. It's a cheaper air engine. Not quite up to OS or satio standards, but held in decent regard for power and reliability. Think entry level 4 stroke. I don't know if they are still made.
https://vqwarbirds.com/product/magnum-xl-91-rfs-blue-rc-4-stroke-engine/

It may not be nitro, the larger displacement air engines could be had in gas, nitro, or methanol (least likely) from the bit I know about them. The carb and ignition source basically determined what you could run in them. Does it have a glow plug in it or a goofy tiny spark plug? (If it had anything in it). The brand is magnum, There should be some sort of designation on it to determine what it is. Ie 52, 91. They are sold in standard sizes. It's a cheaper air engine. Not quite up to OS or satio standards, but held in decent regard for power and reliability. Think entry level 4 stroke. I don't know if they are still made.
https://vqwarbirds.com/product/magnum-xl-91-rfs-blue-rc-4-stroke-engine/
Damn your good??

Been into rc my whole life mate, had a great uncle that was big into scale flight. If he were still with us, a phone call would have been all I needed to tell you anything you needed to know about the subject. Wish he was still here....

So I coulnt help but think a mate of mine had one of these engines, and said he coulnt get parts for it any more, so I had to do a bit of digging. This if from a sight that used to be a big supplier of magnum engines.

A Special Message about Magnum from Mike Greenshields
July 6, 2019
It is a sad day.
The parent factory for Magnum Engines is experiencing financial difficulty. While they are continuing to work on a “go-forward” solution to get production back on track, TODAY we have been told they are not accepting or processing orders. So, our current order of parts is not going to be filled and was officially canceled today.
We are disappointed by this situation. We had been working to get parts supply even though the factory was not making new engines. As of yesterday, we still were told parts would be made available. But as of today that is not possible. We have worked with the factory for decades and know many of the people there. It is a sad day for them and for us.
We will continue to supply what we can and continue to work with the factory should they begin making parts or engines again.
I have been holding off on this information because I know the factory directors have, and are, working diligently to rectify their issues and fill our orders. Today, however, with today’s news, we cannot move forward with Magnum.
Meanwhile, please continue to contact us with Magnum Needs and questions and we will do our best to continue to get you the parts and support you need to the best of our ability.
NEW GLOW ENGINES ARE IN PROCESS
We cannot divulge too much information, but we are currently working with a factory that is very experienced with engines and has supplied us with some new samples that are very promising. Please be patient while we test and help finish development on these engines. Expect all the details no later than the AMA EXPO WEST this November at the MikeGoesFlying booth.
Meanwhile, please peruse our website as we have hundreds of other hobby and glow-engine related offerings from Thunderbolt Glow Plugs to Sonic Tronics and McDaniels Ni-starters.
John and I appreciate your patience and support.
-Mike Greenshields

This confirms what I had thought. But I have some more information. If it's a glow engine 10 -15% nitro fuel w/18% oil is what's recommended, and it should take an OS type F glow plug, cheers

It didn't have a glow plug or little spark plug in it. No markings either to say what the displacement is. The only marking is magnum xl. From the little research I've done I believe its a 19.6cc, the thing is really big. Pretty sure its nitro, the carb and exhaust had some old sticky residue that resembles old nitro that was never cleaned up, but I could be wrong. Whatever it is its super cool.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks