let down on marder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyper 78

I purchased an fg marder about 3 months ago, i love it and have spent abit on upgradind it, the speed is great i love the sound and looks, well i like everything about it execpt for the 'pain in the arse, griproll' i feel this really lets it down, Im an fg fan and have (hopefully) an fg touring car coming my way,but have seen hpi bajas blipping around the park turning quite aggresively at high speeds and think if i tried that it would just end up on its shell.I have put wide wheelsquares on the front but cant put them as wide on the back as i cant get the wheel nuts on.I have been to my local model shop n have been told by them i cant get a longer axel/shaft(thing that goes through the wheels)as i would love to get the rear wheels wider apart.I have heard an antiroll bar at the front helps and balloon springs,as well as chopping the outer block grip off the tyres but am not going to do this,any ideas lads>

I have the same problem matey! Grip roll is designed to keep you fit running after it to right it again :lol::lol: I take it you are running the std knobbly tyres?? When funds are available I am thinking of changing to the baja wheels & tyres so that it will slide round the corners rather than digging in. Also heard the step stud wheels & tyres are a good compromise and could be had for £20/pair on ebay a few wks back (rossmods clearance site). These are the tyres at £10/pair:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/King-Cobra-MC...ontrolled_JN&hash=item255b51e117#ht_609wt_905

There are wheel adaptors available to allow fitting HPI wheels but not sure on parts / costs etc??

Other alternatives are run on a loose surface or fit a beetle shell so it will just roll back onto its wheels again :w00t:

I purchased an fg marder about 3 months ago, i love it and have spent abit on upgradind it, the speed is great i love the sound and looks, well i like everything about it execpt for the 'pain in the arse, griproll' i feel this really lets it down, Im an fg fan and have (hopefully) an fg touring car coming my way,but have seen hpi bajas blipping around the park turning quite aggresively at high speeds and think if i tried that it would just end up on its shell.I have put wide wheelsquares on the front but cant put them as wide on the back as i cant get the wheel nuts on.I have been to my local model shop n have been told by them i cant get a longer axel/shaft(thing that goes through the wheels)as i would love to get the rear wheels wider apart.I have heard an antiroll bar at the front helps and balloon springs,as well as chopping the outer block grip off the tyres but am not going to do this,any ideas lads>

I was advised by Rossendale Models that a front anti roll bar helps and I can say it makes a hell of a difference to running without one. They said the rear anti roll bar takes away traction so I never bothered with it. I got balloon springs on the back only - again rossmods said they don't make much difference on the front and they clash with the std marder arms anyway!

I reckon the only real way to get rid of it is to change wheels & tyres unfortunately.

there is a wider rear axle so your hobby shop needs to do some research. to make them even wider I used firehammer mt arms and dogbones. they are wider than fg.

put some more camber on the wheels will help, or different tires. you could even clip the outer tread in half so they are more like pins and not shovels

i run two FG baja's and have owned a FG MT for a long time previosly, still my favourity of the lot!

the FG had serious turning issues, short wheelbase and high centre of gravity was the main cause but the tractor tires didnt help.

here's my suggestion, get some decent tires for it, I recomend the Nutech TBII tires, they come premounted, are cheap and will fit straight on. Next remove the rear sway bar and install a front sway bar, stock shock oil is FG 4,000WT, change this to 2,000WT, you should see a noticable difference after doing this.

FG's are a totally different animal to the HPI baja's and need a different driving style to get the best from them. Do the shock oil, rear balloon springs & front anti roll bar as suggested here and in your other threads and give it time & you will see the benefits but ultimately its down to the wrong tyres for the surface you are running on!

As the other members said,the problem is in the tyres. HPI/KM baja's have a longer wheel base and mini pins on the .I run Hostile nitemares on the rear of one of my baja's and if you take a corner too fast you end up with a Marder type roll(griproll).
My advise would be to get a set of wheel adapters and run Baja tyres on it.It will improve the width and loose most of the traction in corners that make the car roll.
J

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks