Locktite all metal-to-metal screws before use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b.l.allen

I've seen this mentioned numerous times, especially concerning the RM and Rovan versions of the 5B. What I'm trying to discover is a more specific list of screws/bolts that need locktiting. Does the engine need to have all the bolts locktited? The differential? I'm not a man of much means, so, if I need to do some work before I even start my 5B clone, I'd like to ensure I'm getting everything considered up front. So, any of you more knowledgeable folks about 1/5 scale that would be willing to help a guy new to the 1/5 scale world, it'd be appreciated.

I never loctite my engine as it comes out often for cleaning. If you have an issue with bolts coming out which I never have then as stated above use a drop of blue and don't overtighten them. Yes you should loctite the diff cups with blue.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it very much.

Is it difficult to remove the diff?
definitely, u need to first discounnect the shocks and upper arms on the rear, remove shock brace, remove gears,remove break pad assembly, remove top plate, remove rear bumper, remove bulkhead, remove toe plate, remove screws all the way from the bottom, then pull the diff out upwards.

If you are unsure just take pictures as you so then it will be easier to put back together
Oh and its not difficult just take it easy don't force anying don't over tighten
When you put it back together(y)

In addition to taking pics and if you don't have spare/extra screws for your rig, I suggest after you remove a part...put the screws back into the holes you took them out of until you are ready to put it back together...that way you won't lose any screws and there will be no confusion as to what screw goes where.

Do not loctite the bolts on the engine or the bolts that mount the engine. Blue loctite will completely liquefy at around 300 degrees F. your motor has a potential of reaching that temp so the blue will not be effective. Torquing each bolt is a better way to get them to stay than using loctite. I would suggest using a stud on the exhaust instead of a bolt then you can use red loctite on that. Motor bolts are just something that needs to be checked on a regular basis but you will likely find a good tightness range that keeps them secure. other metal to metal bolts are always good to loctite providing that you do not over tighten them when installing or use a little heat when removing like heating the bolt with a soldering iron first to break down the loctite. I have definitely stripped more bolts than I have lost so be careful and you should be just fine

I personally wouldn't put red loctite on anything as it will eventually have to come apart. Red loctite is meant to be permanent and you WILL strip out bolt heads or even break them trying to remove them

U won't if heat it up before going at it
While our red high strength threadlocker is considered a permanent assembly method, it can be removed if you know the right technique. Removing the red threadlocker involves heating the nut and bolt for a couple of minutes to a temperature of 500°F (250°C), applying localized heat using a blowtorch, for example.Jul 8, 2015
Doesn't seem like a good idea to me lol but if you want to stick a torch to any part of your rig, that's your choice I guess

Once again most soldering irons get to 700 degrees F. Using a propane torch on alum to alum is not an issue. Just gotta know what you are working with and how to use it. Red Loctite is meant to have a strong bond not be permanent. Look at the Phatdad instructions it actually tells you to use red loctite on the pins and use some heat to remove them. Don't be afraid of the product because you are unaware how it works, learn to use it correctly and make your build stronger. Red Loctite should not be used except for a few places though

I know we'll how to use loctite. What I posted wasn't my opinion it was from Henley Adhesives Technologies. And yes it is meant to be permanent but the instructions say it CAN be removed. If you want to use it that's fine, the guy asked for opinions and that's mine
And the Phatdad instructions are for drive shaft pins, which the shafts can be removed before applying heat.

I have developed the habit of going over all my nuts and bolts before every start up. I am glad I did as I have saved myself so far from at least one crash.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks