Losi 5t speed runner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andersonfda

Hello,

I’m building an off-road speed runner out of the losi 5t. Nothing too rough for terrain. Probably just some short grass but the speed will be quite high.
The power plant is being replaced by a dual electric motor setup and the car will be pretty heavy.
My question is mostly regarding the suspension. I need something plushy enough to eat every bump as smooth as possible (think trophy truck like). Any advice on suspension upgrades for that? What’s a good starting point?

Cheers

I would start with current suspension, set your droop screws to lower it slightly and maybe go slightly thinner on the shock oil.
Stock shocks aren't terrible and as your planning on running on flatish ground should be capable.
I would balance any wheels your running and try get rid of any unsprung weight. Stick with nylon arms and knuckles where possible.

Sry Kev, I think limiting straps are best in his situation. That's a lot of power and the droop screws just gonna chip away at the chassis.

Look to ddm for their 5T heavy springs. I'm running the losi orange with 45wt oil on all fours. I think you'll want something heavier but the losi orange springs should Def be in your box.

Also wheel diameter matters when chasing speed.

Thank you for the replies.
I will have heavier springs but I need to work on oil weight and dampener to keep the wheels on the ground.

Sry Kev, I think limiting straps are best in his situation. That's a lot of power and the droop screws just gonna chip away at the chassis.

Look to ddm for their 5T heavy springs. I'm running the losi orange with 45wt oil on all fours. I think you'll want something heavier but the losi orange springs should Def be in your box.

Also wheel diameter matters when chasing speed.
Good point about straps, forgot they only sit against the aluminium and not a steel disc.

Because its going to be flat ground your going to want springs that give for the little bumps but also rebound hence suggesting starting with stock springs.
For shock fluid weight? That's going to be trial and error to find out what works best on the terrain your going to be running and also the temperatures that day, plus how many runs your doing.

It's going to be similar for diff tuning, your going to want thick fluid but I wouldn't go spool as your going to want some give.

Keep us updated though and take plenty pics

Good point about straps, forgot they only sit against the aluminium and not a steel disc.

Because its going to be flat ground your going to want springs that give for the little bumps but also rebound hence suggesting starting with stock springs.
For shock fluid weight? That's going to be trial and error to find out what works best on the terrain your going to be running and also the temperatures that day, plus how many runs your doing.

It's going to be similar for diff tuning, your going to want thick fluid but I wouldn't go spool as your going to want some give.

Keep us updated though and take plenty pics
Kev, You got that right point

For the diffs I’m thinking 20 mil center and 1 mil front and rear. I need to keep the tires from ballooning.
For the shocks I believe I’ll need a slower compression and faster rebound so it doesn’t bottom out and the wheels “drop” faster to stay in contact to the ground.
This things have a way to do compression and rebound in the same shock or it will be the same for both? I’m pretty sure on my dirt bike I have one shock with compression and one with rebound. My race bike has a way more high end suspension and I have rebound and compression. Within the same shock.
The other thing I need to fix is the angle on the center shaft (front specially). The universal joint speed effect at the speed I’m aiming for will be an issue on that driving shaft angle. Any known bolt on solutions to move the center diff case to the middle of the car? Otherwise I’ll just design something and make my own drive shafts.

Last edited:
Hey guys.
Anyone that understands the 5t well?
If yes how would you set up the shocks on a 50lb car going 120mph off-road?

Initial Mock up attached. It will actually have another dual set in the rear. 4 1100kv motors on 8s.
I need some advice on a good suspension starting point.
Also diffs. I have no center diff and I’m running 200k in the rear and 350k in the front.
My second question is regarding the rear bulkhead. Thought about asking before I start pulling things apart.
Any solution to remove the rear bulkhead drive up offset? I’m removing the chassis braces and will run a carbon top deck instead.
I’d really like to have the drive cup centred like the front one.
Any chance I can somehow fit a front bulkhead in the rear?

1667870424949.png

You would have to get another chassis and cut the front off of it then cut the rear off yours and get it welded onto your existing one
Haha. Not doing that but thanks for the advice. I guess I’ll have to deal with that offset some other way.

Hey guys.
Anyone that understands the 5t well?
If yes how would you set up the shocks on a 50lb car going 120mph off-road?

Initial Mock up attached. It will actually have another dual set in the rear. 4 1100kv motors on 8s.
I need some advice on a good suspension starting point.
Also diffs. I have no center diff and I’m running 200k in the rear and 350k in the front.
My second question is regarding the rear bulkhead. Thought about asking before I start pulling things apart.
Any solution to remove the rear bulkhead drive up offset? I’m removing the chassis braces and will run a carbon top deck instead.
I’d really like to have the drive cup centred like the front one.
Any chance I can somehow fit a front bulkhead in the rear?

View attachment 84174
nice foot

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks