DBXL Losi dbxl e 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferrebee88

Hello all,
I recently purchased a Losi DBXL-E 2.0. I am happy with stock speed, but want to upgrade the motor/esc. I'm not sure whether to go with a castle xlx2 or max5, 800kv or 1100kv. I don't hit big jumps and try to destroy things, I just like to drive it the way it was intended. I have already upgraded the steering with a spektrum brushless servo. I am not concerned with price. Any advice? I would like to keep the pinion between 13t and 14t.

Then I guess 1100 would be fine
I am assuming that would make the stock speed go up, but do you think it would cause heat issues? I don't want to increase the speed too much because I heard the stock tires can't handle anything above 55mph.

Heat is a function of ambient temp load (gearing) and amp draw (which is linked to load). I'd your just putting around big gears wont kill you, if your full on bashing in grass big gears will heat up the motor fast. Fans can help with this issue. But more or less you need to find the sweet spot for your rig under the conditions your running. Bigger motors can take more load without heating up as fast so I'd go with as big as you can get and gear it how you like for speed/acceleration.

My neighbor has a dbxl-e 2.0 and it hauls ass and has stock esc and motor...if your not looking to go faster than whats the point of changing the combo you have now?
The stock esc is a rebranded max6 and is rated at 160amp(the max5 is rated at 200amp), but they took out some of the programming options. The internal BEC can only be switched between 6v and 8.4v. Most 1/5 servos arw rated for 7.4v. I like to have all the programming options
I am a huge fan of effiency, and that is what I am going for, even if it costs $
I am a huge fan of effiency, and that is what I am going for, even if it costs $

Run the stock electronics till they are done, then do the 1100.
If I keep stock gearing (13t pinion, 50t spur), and put the 1100kv motor in, what do you think the increase in speed will be? The castle 1100kv is the same size can as the spektra firma 780kv.

Hello all,
I recently purchased a Losi DBXL-E 2.0. I am happy with stock speed, but want to upgrade the motor/esc. I'm not sure whether to go with a castle xlx2 or max5, 800kv or 1100kv. I don't hit big jumps and try to destroy things, I just like to drive it the way it was intended. I have already upgraded the steering with a spektrum brushless servo. I am not concerned with price. Any advice? I would like to keep the pinion between 13t and 14t.
What size batteries are you planning on running 8S, 10S?

Just me, I would go with the XLX2 8s ESC and the Castle 1100 kv motor. I have a feeling with that set up if you wanted you could probably run 2 5s in series for 10 s if you wanted to at some point. It will handle 8S with no problems at all. Guys use this set up in their Arrma Limitless's for speed running on 8s.

Just me, I would go with the XLX2 8s ESC and the Castle 1100 kv motor. I have a feeling with that set up if you wanted you could probably run 2 5s in series for 10 s if you wanted to at some point. It will handle 8S with no problems at all. Guys use this set up in their Arrma Limitless's for speed running on 8s.
I know that it will be faster than stock, but if I keep it geared around 13/50 (stock) or 14/50 it shouldn't have any heat issues right?

I know that it will be faster than stock, but if I keep it geared around 13/50 (stock) or 14/50 it shouldn't have any heat issues right?
Buy a temp gun amd check. Theres no hard and fast rule for how your set up is going to react. Its electric you chose the easy path, but it still had its proclivities. Monitor your set up and see how hot it gets. Gear accordingly. You may have to change gearing for how or where your running it, or under gear it and not worry about it, but tbh theres zero point in upgrading everything if your not going to use the extra power on tap. No one but you can honestly answer this question.

Last edited:
My neighbors dbxl gets pretty warm just bombing around. Id look into motor fans as well since its an off road vehicle and the body doesn't really flow air well under it

If you are really concerned about heat and you never wanna worry about it do the 800 but its not worth it IMO with the upgrades you would need
Its not that I am worried about the heat. This is uncharted territory for me, and I lack knowledge. This is my first 1/5 scale and I am seeking information so I can make an education based decision.

Weve all giving you our opinions, same rules apply to smaller scale electronics. I'd be going max 5 and the 1100kv set up and gearing the rig to keep temps good, along with cooling fans and or a good heat sink set up

Thanks everyone for the input. I have decided to keep the spektrum motor for now and change out the esc for a max/5 or the xlx2. That way I can see the differences first hand and use the stock setup as a baseline. I honestly enjoy the setups and tinkering more than I do the driving.

Thanks everyone for the input. I have decided to keep the spektrum motor for now and change out the esc for a max/5 or the xlx2. That way I can see the differences first hand and use the stock setup as a baseline. I honestly enjoy the setups and tinkering more than I do the driving.
Not a bad move. Saw you were asking this question over on the Arrma forum. They are knowledgeable over there .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks