Losi shock conversion for HPI Baja

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taken

Build Thread Contributor
So I've heard that it's possible to mount losi shocks onto a baja 5B. Apparently because the Losi shocks are wider than the stock HPI ones, you need FLM arms, but I don't want to pay the $300 for the arms over the $200 for losi shocks. I was wondering if I could get away with sanding away a bit of the arms to give enough clearance. They are 2nd gen arms so they are quite thick. Also, because the losi shocks are shorter, apparently you need an adjustable shock tower, but I thought that maybe if I put the rear losi shocks on the front of the baja, then I wouldn't need an adjustable shock tower for the front, because the rear losi shocks are about the same lenght as the front HPI shocks.

You can use rpm arms but it's very tight. You need an open style front and rear tower, the shock extenders are optional but the losi shocks are a good bit shorter than hpi shocks so your ride height will suffer.
Ok, thanks. I think I might give the sanding a go and if it doesn't work out I'll pick up some RPM arms. Just one more question. How wide are the losi shocks? I mesured my HPI ones and they are 20mm in diamiter and 28mm if you count the springs.

To wake an old thread.. I'm considering this also..I've been building up a big bore baja over a couple years and purchased the IRC shocks and have to say I wasn't impressed at all, I don't see what all the hype is about. Immediately on receiving them I noticed there is a lot of friction, then I fitted them to the car, cycled them a number of times and noticed the springs just rub the coloured anodising off practically immediately. Then to top it off I left the unfinished car in the garage, granted it's the uk so the air is damp but it hasn't been sat in the rain or anything and over time the shock shafts have rusted too. They look like shocks that have been heavily used and I haven't even ran them yet...appealing for the price and I really don't see why everyone raves about them.

So I have 2 options, purchase some silver bodies for the shocks hoping they won't scuff up as much and polish the shafts and see if they perform well once oil is in and on the car, or just get rid of them completely and fit Losi shocks. I noticed a lot of people running the 5ive and Hybrids are not even keeping the Losi shocks and 'upgrading' to the IRC..why is this, because from I can tell they are an inferior shock but in friction and durability (cosmetic or not). If fitting the Losi do I need any particular hardware other than the FLM arms and shock towers which I already have and how much travel will I lose, is it worth it and can the Losi rears be fitted front and back considering the rears are a shorter shock than the Baja I figured I could use them in the front aswell and adjust the ride height by where I mount the shock. Was also looking at the GTB 5ive shocks they seem to be hard anodised and for a reasonable price or should I just stick with Losi. Are the parts between the Losi and aftermarket options interchangeable?

I've purchased some 5ive 2.0 rear shocks ready to fit...anyone know what hardware I need so I don't have to drill bigger holes in the arms and tower as the Losi hardware is bigger than the Baja. I was hoping my Baja IRC big bore hardware would fit but even that is too small...was quite surprised when they turned up to see they are even bigger shocks in girth than the IRC's...though noticeably shorter...think even the Losi rears are shorter than the Baja fronts at least the big bores anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks