Low Cost cars hitting the web

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dig the tires and rims on that offroad clone buggy. Too bad they don't have more pics of it with the body on and some more information, pic of the radio, etc. Price is nice.

Sure would be nice if they continued with the style changes though. Same same is getting a little redundant don't you think? I'm not knocking them I just like when new styles enter the market gives you some other things to spend you hard earned money on..

They must be leaving off the body to keep the price down! ;) There is one on Ebay now. Same buggy, no body.

I would rather go with a Firehammer personally. Just because I know that I'm getting a Futaba radio, regardless of whether or not people like it and I know how to get a hold of Duratrax in case I have problems or need parts.

Got a call they are doing a intro promo $550 + S&H each for both the on-road and off road versions. That is like dealer cost just to get people started
Promo code BSPROMO for the off road and BSONROAD for the Ford GT

No promo on the RTR with the Nomadio though yet, rats.

Anyone have personal experiance with the Firehammer Monster truck clone made by smartech, i believe they call it the Big Foot. It looks identical to the FHMT, gudging by the photos. Im sure the radio system is probably gonna need to be replaced. I'm considering picking up on of these they have them listed for 589 plus S&H. Anyone have one of these or know someone that does, that can let me know the ups and downs. I don't wanna hear from people that do not own one. First hand experiance please. I'll put in an order next week unless someone knows a valid reason why not. Thanks in advance.

txtrcr,

From what I understand, it is identical to the Duratrax Firehammer MT. I have an MT. I think it sounds like an awesome deal (I paid $720 for my Firehammer MT a few weeks ago). I didn't read it, but I think replacing the radio eventually would be a good idea. But who knows, it could be a helluva good radio. If you do replace, maybe get a Spektrum or a good Futaba or Airtronics FM radio. I'm wondering if it needs a failsafe (25 bucks maybe).

Other than that, it will use all duratrax parts that you can order from your LHS or TowerHobbies or from Ebay.

Not to dissuade you from purchasing but you will want to replace the following eventually (which I have done already on my FHMT):
Get a 19 tooth steel pinion gear (only available from Europe) and a large alloy engine mount (again, from Europe) to start with. Maybe a tuned pipe sometime. All cars/trucks regardless of the brand will have something that will need upgrading eventually.

I really really like my truck.

By the way, it won't go 70mph unless you drop it off a 10 story building. 40 mph is a little more like it. ;)

Hope this helps. The shipping is free and the insurance is only $6.50. Nice!!!!!!

I laughed out loud when i read 70mph, i would have guessed 35 on a good day being a heavy monster truck.

I have the HPI Baja its plenty fast. i want another gas powered truck but i don't have another 1100 bux to spend. I got the baja when they first became available it was 989 and wouldnt you know i wanted overnite shipping another 100 bux. Totally worth it though.

What really would like to know is will all the duratrax parts fit, as well as the hop ups that are available. the seller has parts available for these trucks. But the local hobby shop stocks FHMT parts.

I never found out for sure if the FG MT parts were interchangeable with the FHMT, like the tuned pipes and the 2 speed kits, and front brake kits and all. If they fit then they would probably fit one of these trucks wouldnt they?

Last edited:
All the Duratrax parts should fit. I haven't read any other forums where someone has complained about Duratrax Firehammer MT/Smartech Bigfoot/XTM Grizzly/Carson Comanche/Carson Attack parts not being interchangeable. The only differences are the radios (I don't believe the Grizzly even comes with a radio).

I just purchased a DDM Pipe for mine based off Bigger The Better's review and video.

A few FG parts are interchangeable:
Link

Towerhobbies has some alloy stuff coming out, easy enough to find on their web site. Seems like most places are out of parts for them right now so hopefully some shipments come in soon. Another place which is in Germany is HobbyThek. They have all kinds of alloy parts for the Carson Attack/Comanche that will fit the Firehammer and Firehammer MT. The only downside to ordering from them is the amount of shipping you will pay. I ordered a Steel Pinion and a Large Alloy Engine Mount. I spent $130. $40 bucks of that was shipping, but I wanted the parts and no one else in the states had them. The great thing was, I had it here in the states in ONE WEEK. I'm impressed with their efficiency. I've also found a steel pinion elsewhere that I am waiting on. It's from Austria from Raco. It has only cost me $30 bucks to get it, but I'm awaiting delivery on that one. I expect that one will show in a couple weeks.

So, if you are thinking about a monster truck to kind of mess around with, this is probably the way to go if you want to go on the "cheap" like I did. I wasn't ready to make an investment in an FG. Didn't know if I'd like it or not. My next purchase will probably be the HPI Baja.

I'm hoping someone else will throw in their two cents on the differences so you have a bit more information. I'm a newbie with the big cars but have had about everything else prior to my large scale purchase.

Here is a video collection link: https://www.largescaleforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150

Here is the review and video of the pipe I purchased (Bigger the Better review, I have a feeling he'll have his own RC Review show someday, lookout Chris Chianelli!! ;)):
https://www.largescaleforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420

Let me know how everything ends up!

csp1971

i will most likely get one of these. I just wanted to post and see if anyone had major problems with these or the other cheapo versions. I probably should dig through the forums a little more just to make sure there isnt some crazy flaw that causes them to explode or something. Ill let you know what happens, right now the plan is not this coming friday but the next friday ill be looking at one of these.

Comes out of the smartech factory same as the firehammer and carson versions, that guy buys a few from China direct and sells them on flea-bay. Smartech parts are the same ;) Not a bad deal.

That's a good thing then. I wish Smartech would get some parts over here sooner! I'm wondering if they are going to make a clone of the new Gas Devil 4X4 by Carson. That would be sweet! Instead of 1200 USD, maybe 900 for the clone?

smartech is making a 4wd gas truck. probably going to be the same price as the Carson model though. I look at it this way, the FG MT5 is 1500 bux plus the 4wd kit which is like 800 to 1500 bux. i would still rather pay the 1200 for the smartech or carson model.

4wd in this design is useless, the motor is installed in the rear of the vehicle which puts all the weight on the rear axle, and when you accelerate even more weight is transfered to the rear. basically the front two axles are just along for the ride. find the thread thats entitled Carson/Smartech 4wd and click the link. Watch the video and listen when the truck is on a full speed run, and watch the front tires, they unload every chance they get. low speed would probably be the only time the front tires do anything but free wheel.

there is also an excessively long drive shaft, front and center. that would be the first thing to go if you did get the drivetrain bound up. had they placed the engine in the middle of the frame there wouldnt be a weak drive shaft to replace and the front tires would do more than just ride.

Last edited:
I think you are right about the weight distribution, but I wonder if a mid-mounted engine would not be much better....too much weight in the center of the chassis couldn't that cause the chassis to flex? It would have to be braced fairly well. I'm in no way an engineer but am just wondering. Hopefully someone soon provides a review on it!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks