Low RPM Rovan 36cc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoneRogue

Hey guys,

Prepare for a long paragraph :) So took the baja out today and the thing wouldn't start at all, so I reset the Walbro 1107 carb to defaults (1 1/4 L and 1 1/2 H) to get it to start. The engine would not start unless I applied the choke before hand and when I did start it, it almost immediately would shut off unless full throttle was applied :/ I wasn't sure what was going on so I kept it alive with throttle and slowly turned the L anti clockwise to make it more rich, this raised the idle RPM's and the things would start to move, but then if i applied throttle it would go to stand still and if I let go of the throttle the RPM increased and it wanted to race off. I didn't try to long with it out of frustration but Im not sure what to do. I have the old 997 carb that still works so might try that, I also saw that the carb was a little loose but the bolts that hold it in are locktite. If anyone knows what might be the issue lmk but I am looking forward to figuring whats wrong so it doesn't happen again XD

Hey guys,

Prepare for a long paragraph :) So took the baja out today and the thing wouldn't start at all, so I reset the Walbro 1107 carb to defaults (1 1/4 L and 1 1/2 H) to get it to start. The engine would not start unless I applied the choke before hand and when I did start it, it almost immediately would shut off unless full throttle was applied :/ I wasn't sure what was going on so I kept it alive with throttle and slowly turned the L anti clockwise to make it more rich, this raised the idle RPM's and the things would start to move, but then if i applied throttle it would go to stand still and if I let go of the throttle the RPM increased and it wanted to race off. I didn't try to long with it out of frustration but Im not sure what to do. I have the old 997 carb that still works so might try that, I also saw that the carb was a little loose but the bolts that hold it in are locktite. If anyone knows what might be the issue lmk but I am looking forward to figuring whats wrong so it doesn't happen again XD
Your needles are way off, it’s 1 1/4 L and 2 1/4 H
For the 36cc

This is what I would suggest if you flood your engine. This doesn't apply with your loose carb issue just giving info on how to fix another beginner issue.

Do an engine purge. Close the valves all the way, turn the rc upside down with the sparkplug out in a CLEAN area and crank the pullstart a few times to get all the gas out. Then "I do this only on cheap engines" try to start it with the needles closed, may not start but if it does start it will idle real high before dieing out. Then tune it with the default settings.
Also check your sparkplug every now and then to see if its fouled out, I have a sparkplug tester for this. If you run 25:1 and you get lots of oil coming out of the exhaust at a good tuned idle then try 30:1 "I personally wouldn't try reducing it any further".

Last edited:
Cheers for the responses, I did know a lot of that (I didn't notice the carb being loose until the end) other then those 36cc needle set points, that will be extremely useful. Any tips on getting the carb secure, I had an air leak issue a couple months back from a stripped isolator block but I replaced it and it was fine and now its loose again but the bolts are tight, is it just a case of re torqueing it?

Cheers for the responses, I did know a lot of that (I didn't notice the carb being loose until the end) other then those 36cc needle set points, that will be extremely useful. Any tips on getting the carb secure, I had an air leak issue a couple months back from a stripped isolator block but I replaced it and it was fine and now its loose again but the bolts are tight, is it just a case of re torqueing it?
are your bolts possibly too long?

What type of gaskets are in between the carb and the insulator block and what type of air filter plenum are you using? Pics will help us out alot.... and @Rcjunkie a rovan 36cc sounds like witchcraft to me if it were possible don't you think engine builders would offer a 36cc?

What type of gaskets are in between the carb and the insulator block and what type of air filter plenum are you using? Pics will help us out alot.... and @Rcjunkie a rovan 36cc sounds like witchcraft to me if it were possible don't you think engine builders would offer a 36cc?
Its essentially the 32cc with +1mm bore with a +2mm crank.

Edit.... troop we can open a thread to debate lets keep this guys thread on track.

To elaborate on the OP's issue I see a few things wrong that contribute to the issue.

1: loose carb so you must address that first

2: the correct needle settings. Since you are leaner on the needles than what a 1107 is set at and now that junkie posted what rovan wants it to be set at you don't have enough fuel and keeping it on choke is restricting air to allow the engine to run on the little fuel your giving it.

3: you have to get it running on its own with no input from you to go any further with tuning for performance

I can understand boring these out but like I said if it was worth the milling wouldn't you think the known engine builders would do so?
No because of the Nikasil plating. Its extremely toxic and usually you need large expensive machinery to do so. Even the 3rd party vendors who plate cylinders charge a minimum of $200 to even look at it.

No because of the Nikasil plating. Its extremely toxic and usually you need large expensive machinery to do so. Even the 3rd party vendors who plate cylinders charge a minimum of $200 to even look at it.
Nikasil plating can not be conventionally machined (boring ) . It has to be honed using a specialty diamond dressed honeing stone .

So update: The car still doesn't work. The carb has been fitted tight and is not loose, however I think there is still a leak but not sure, I also noticed the exhaust was a little loose so tightened that up too. But the car still doesn't want to run. I have noticed some oil/petrol leak somewhere and I think its the isolator block, I have uploaded a few pics. I have used the setting suggested by Rovan from earlier in the thread 1 1/4L and 2 1/4H. Any help guys?

Attachments

• IMG_20210614_154634.jpg
    IMG_20210614_154634.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210614_154648.jpg
    IMG_20210614_154648.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210614_154650.jpg
    IMG_20210614_154650.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210614_154749.jpg
    IMG_20210614_154749.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 12
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks