Lower front end

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spring length is fine for stock shocks. If backing off preload doesn’t get you where you want to be then you can use limiting straps or internal shock spacer’s or shorter shocks. Limiting straps probably the easiest and have infinite adjustment

Actually preload doesn’t change the spring rate it just changes ride height until the shocks are topped out. A 30# spring is still a 30# spring unless you have progressively wound spring. As far as hopping all over the place that’s what shock oil weight and piston dampening hole size controls. Oval track racers from 1/12 rc to full scale sprint cars etc use internal shock spacers and limiters all the time to change ride height, droop and other handling issues.

But I would think they compensate with smaller springs if there's less travel within the shock.

Also I wasn't referencing spring rate at all plus you mention only racing situations which those tracks are groomed and probably have little to no bumps other than ruts created by the race. The OP does not state if he races or bashes and if he on the road with unknown surface conditions like bumps and cracks his suspension wouldn't be suited anymore for those conditions.

From google.

Preloading does not change spring rate but preload does change the force to start moving the shock and high preload dramatically reduces shock performance over smaller bumps and makes for a more harsh ride and worse traction.

Last edited:
I both race and bash a variety of cars and surfaces but I don’t change springs when using spacers or limiters and generally I am using a maximum 5/8 “ limiter So we aren’t talking a huge amount. On my Baja 5B sprint car conversion I generally use 1/2” internal shock spacers to get the ride height and center of gravity lower than I can by spring collar adjustment alone and I still use the stock springs. The easiest is to use the adjustment straps they are quick to change and you can easily try different settings and if you don’t get the desired results change back. Suspension setup and tuning can be a very daunting and complex operation but if it all goes wrong go back to original factory settings and change one thing at a time

Can't take it anymore. The problem with lowering the F5 is the shocks have a internal spring that is twice as strong as the outer spring. I removed the shocks opened the shocks by removing the top cover and you will see the spring, remove this spring refill with included shock oil reinstall the shocks and you will full control of the car's suspension.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks