Marder suspension tuning tips needed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trip

I have a Marder clone but all the suspension parts have been switched to FG plastics The only thing Chinese is the body and chassis plate.

Anybody have a good baseline setup for front and rear camber and toe for general off-roading.

Springs? I have been hearing about "Balloon" springs, can someone enlighten me?

Oil weights?

I have problems with grip-roll, as I'm sure anyone with a buggy does too, how do I eliminate it?

Other than a setup board, what is a good way to measure adjustments. I have an angle finder, will that help?

I am new to the buggy scene, I've had my MT for years and never really cared how it handled, but I am trying to get my buggy to handle around a track. As it is, it's horrible. I have camber and toe set square. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Trip..

I solved my grip roll with a rear anti-roll bar. but it takes away a lot of traction in the corners so is not a good idea if you want to go fast. Personally I prefer the grip roll to the anti-roll bar.

I don't have any yet, but some guys swear by balloon springs as they have a more progressive spring rate.

i run front and rear anti roll bars oil is hpi baja 25wt front and 35wt rear grip roll isnt a problem on mine since i cut the vees off the tyres with a pair side cutters but if you do it id just try the rears first i done all mine and since that the turn in aint been as good shocks are on there lowest setting ive got the fg 20mm fat shocks and adjustable diff is worth a go i cant belive how different it has been since i changed it got locked up about 75/80% and now my cars fun and handles the best it ever has in 2 years all this from advise from members on here

There is such a thing as too much traction and I have it!
My clone flips more the my FGMT!:mad: Its just not wide enough. Are Firehammer MT front arms longer the the buggy? And will they work without shock modifications on the buggy? I would think if the front was wider the chance of roll may be less.

my set up, which i find a good compromise between jumping and flat off road racing is purple springs and FG 2,000wt shock oil. Firm enough to jump medium but quick enough rebound to race flat, any thicker oil and the suspension doesn't react quick enough and any softer spring same problem, thats what i found anyway on my FG Baja.

These are the King Cobra balloon springs

http://www.rossmod.co.uk/product/8127/OffRoad_Balloon_Springs_Long_2

I bought a pair of these for the back and put 2000wt FG shock oil in all round on std FG shocks. I also added a front anti roll bar to stiffen the front end and the results were a massive improvement through the corners. It still suffers from grip roll but not to the same extent. I was thinking of trying FG baja wheels & tyres to allow a degree of slide in the corners.

hi trip got them balloon springs on my fg marder beetle they work realy good with the fg alloy shocks handles realy well good 4 jumping got them off ebay £6 a pair mate

Trip with a back end like this you cant go wrong ;)

newpicsofmarderleopard006.jpg

balloon springs from KCR...only a 4mm anti roll bar:) i filled the shocks

with fg4000...and fitted a viscous diff with fg1000 oil

around 2deg toe in and a little negative camber ...a couple degs

or roughly 5/32" top to bottom:lol:

and wide spikes on widened marder rims

K....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks