Metal Clutch turning blue, Taylor 35cc engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit2013

Is it normal for the sintered metal clutch to turn blue? Overheating? Poor alignment with clutch bell? Vekta KV5TT, stock transmission.

20220327_214536.jpg

Short break in period of the Taylor 35cc engine with sintered metal clutch. I would say about 1.5 tanks of fuel. Vekta KV5TT with stock transmission. Was waiting on the vertigo transmission that came in last week. Had the opportunity to inspect the clutch. Seemed to hinder performance due to more slip than grab. Seemed that I had to warm up the clutch for 20 minutes before it grabbed better. Not what I am used too.

I know some will bash on me for running the can pipe and Vekta stock intake. Have new parts to replace them, was not seeking top performance during the short break-in period. I was running the engine in a rich tune and not often. Just wanted to see what I could observe with the stock form first before I started replacing the parts with upgrades.

what rpm clutch spring are ya using mate ?
the clutch will slip till its bedded in a tad anyways, but if you aint applying throttle past the rpms of the spring then it will slip all the time,
you may just need a lower rpm spring to suit yer driving style so the clutch engages fully sooner (y),

8k RMP spring, stock that came with the clutch. I ordered the clutch with the engine as an option from Detroit performance.
Bluing being normal is all I needed to know. Figured that was the case. Clutch surface does have some black material stuck to it. I would assume that is the black oxide coating that used to be on the clutch bell surface.

Thank you for the comments. Much appreciated.

Yep , metal clutches are just plain wrong , metal to metal causes metal pieces flying around and way to much heat , not that I'm a expert , but I did alot of study before deciding on my clutch for the VEKTA5 Taylor , and the Rooster tail guys agreed , don't use metal , unless your racing for some stupid badge , plaque , or trophy , for us normal drivers always use the norm , and I looked at several videos and heard the same theory ,metal clutches are just plain wrong in many ways , but that's not my opinion it's the guys that know more than I do about them

Yep , metal clutches are just plain wrong , metal to metal causes metal pieces flying around and way to much heat , not that I'm a expert , but I did alot of study before deciding on my clutch for the VEKTA5 Taylor , and the Rooster tail guys agreed , don't use metal , unless your racing for some stupid badge , plaque , or trophy , for us normal drivers always use the norm , and I looked at several videos and heard the same theory ,metal clutches are just plain wrong in many ways , but that's not my opinion it's the guys that know more than I do about them
i am almost certain that is false

It is false. Metal to metal does cause more heat yes ,but if you have common sense you would get a ventened bell to go with it, boom problem solved. The whole metal shards thing is complete bs. Both types of clutches (padded and full metal) will produce metallic dust, but the *full metal* will produce less of it. Metal clutches grab harder and last much longer so there is really no reason not to use one.

WOW ! Rough crowd , jeeze guys ever been wrong before ? Like I said , in case you got to excited to tear me down , I'm not a clutch no it all , I'm just repeating what I was told by supposedly those who no ,maybe you guys should check yourselves , but it's hard to crack a old shell I geuss but thanx ! Or maybe just for shits n giggles call Taylor rc on the fone , and hear the freeekn words yourself , then call him out on all his B's , Across the nation and around the world ,,,, let us bow our heads and lets us pray for just half the the knowledge it takes to impress a FREEKN forum croud 😭🤣😵‍💫😡😂

Last edited:
Hey, I gave it a try. Was not impressed with performance. The sides may be blued but the clutch surface looks to be glazed over in some areas. Odd that there does not seem to be much wear on the clutch bell surface. It was the stock KV5TT transmission. Already had plans to swap that out with the Vertigo setup. I may resurface the clutch if at all possible. I will reuse it if I have issues with the standard type of clutch.

20220330_000812.jpg

Here is the other side.

20220330_000834.jpg

can't remember with my vekta stock bell mate, but i think it had some paint of some sort on it,
i say clean off the clutch surface with some wet n dry, do the same to the inside of the clutch bell and give it another go,
i would bet that you will then see a big difference in performance,
the all metal clutch will take a little time but will transfer some of the sintered steel from the clutch to the inside of the bell , then it will grip a lot more,(y)

I dropped the Kraken transmission for the Vertigo setup. Will give it another go and see what happens. Still thinking on using a traditional clutch first, if that does not perform well, the metal shoes will go back in.

Attachments

• 20220326_084548.jpg
    20220326_084548.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 3
Oh ! Well since your our new fun police guy , are you saying we can't ask questions , go to forum college and then address a slacked jawed yokle for there superior intellect ? WOW 😂🤣😵‍💫😁😳🧐🧐🧐your hillariouse ! But regardless , after reading what guys are saying I've learned a little , hopefully that's o k

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks