more volts same setup= less amps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charleshodge

Question,will a 5t brush less with 64t spur and 16t pinion on 12s draw less amps then on 8s.? Same 700kv motor same ESC.same gearing.

No it will draw more on 12 cells than 8 its applied voltages the more cells the bigger the amp draw and it gets less run time to unless you lower the gear ratio to lower amp draw and increase run time

Last edited:
cc160

So 12s with 10t pinion will draw less then 8s with 16t?
Wouldnt it be easier for 12s to turn a 16t pinion than a 8s there for drawing less amps or no?trying to figure out if running a 5t off a cc ice 160 on 10s will be more reliable then a mamba xl2 on 8s which I hear can and will have problems with a 40 pound 4×4.thought maybe if I can get it to draw less amps on higher voltage that the cc 160 could be better cause of the ability to run higher voltage. And yes I know its a heli/plane ESC and don't have brakes.mechanical brakes would be used.just don't wanna drop a xl2 in it and pop it off the rip like some people I hear of on here.also,would running a dual setup split the drawn amps in half for each ESC of what was originally drawn on one?

First off the only way to tell amp draw is with a meter and your assumption over pinion size are just a guess
No matter which one you go with rember don't over gear get as small a pinion as you can and start there and work your way up
The reason it has a problem with 40 lb cars is most likely it's over geared
For me 8 cells would be max just because there hard to charge and if one cell goes bad the pack is gone
And 12 cells would be worse
Most people who build the car you are talking about just want a car to go fast for 5 minutes or so
So if you want to tare the tires off the rims 8 cell should do it 12 will do it easier so its down to money [emoji93][emoji95][emoji91][emoji90]

Last edited:
First off the only way to tell amp draw is with a meter and your assumption over pinion size are just a guess
No matter which one you go with rember don't over gear get as small a pinion as you can and start there and work your way up
The reason it has a problem with 40 lb cars is most likely it's over geared
For me 8 cells would be max just because there hard to charge and if one cell goes bad the pack is gone
And 12 cells would be worse
Most people who build the car you are talking about just want a car to go fast for 5 minutes or so
So if you want to tare the tires off the rims 8 cell should do it 12 will do it easier so its down to money [emoji93][emoji95][emoji91][emoji90]

Well,I'm looking to go really fast for 15 mins or so.just wanna make a xl2 work and not blow up instantly like a bunch of people say they do.

Not going to happen
Relley fast yes
for 15 minutes no way
Make it run for 15 minutes yes
But both together no
Don't get me wrong if you make it run for 15 minutes it will be
fast just not as fast as you may expect
That's why most don't mess with Electric they are a fire weighting to happen
For me I would not own a 1/5 electric car or truck to much money and no one to race with
And there dangerous to others and a fire hazard

Last edited:
Part 2 I have a indoor off road track that we run 1/8 scale electric and you can get a bunch of $$$$$$ in batteries and if you over gear it will destroy the battery and melt connectors and that's 14 volts

My advice get a 1/8 car or a 1/10 car and learn how to run it safely before you jump to 1/5

Safe running formula for me has always been Batteries>ESC>Motor>Pinion. If your batteries can feed the ESC with a healthy C rating and the ESC can handle the motor, and the Motor can handle the pinion, then temps will take care of themselves, checking regularly the first 5 runs on a variety of surfaces. I have only lost 1 ESC to fire in almost 30 years and it was a solder defect from the manufacturer upon plug in. If you think a 12t pinion is awesome, then start with a 9 or 10 tooth. Weight, terrain, and friction have strange effects on advanced math, even when referencing a data logger such as eagle tree or on-board, etc....

Well,I already own several powerful 1/8 on and off road cars.know a good amount about electronics and was just wondering some specific things that revolve around the particular setup of a brushless 5t.I know I can't have a speed run truck and a basher in one.just trying to get a setup that runs around 15 mins and fast as it can be without being a problem waiting to happen.gure 2 8s 6000 I'll be running.maybe a 18t pinion or so.that is the pinion size recommended by mike at Rc madness so I'm guessing should work .he stated I should be able to make it run about 40 off a xl2 and 2028 reliably.I liked to have it at about 70 once use to it so will probably invest in a neu 2030 and a mgm 250@ and hopefully after that 1000$ should be at about that.baby steps though and am gonna give the xl2/2028 combo a try first before the the big bucks.thought about the dual setup of cc/cc but he said it just gives more room for error really.I thought it would drop amps for each ESC and make it way easier on em and in all making it less likely to go poof.but what do I know.never owned a 40 lb truck.whole different ball game.

You can get a g320 full mod and pipe less than $900 and it will fly maybe not as quick off a dead stop but still fast and you can race it if you would want to just my thoughts
Have fun with your build

Might actually wanna make a speed run truck after initial setup.see what kind of top brush less speeds it can do.basically gonna need a 800$ ESC.and thanks I'm sure whatever it end up doing it will be fun .and wxpensive:)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks