Most powerful engine for a 5ive T 2.0 without demolishing the drivetrain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT3

Laying pipe all day?
Build Thread Contributor
I’ve read a few people saying the stock zen engine is underpowered for how big and heavy the 5T is. I’m new to 1/5 but I’m not a stranger to fixing/wrenching on things.

i want something with some real power. I know drivetrains will be sacrificed over time, I plan to beef it up as it dies basically. But may change my mind and tear it all apart the first time something breaks. I’ve watched a ton of videos online of these guys with big bore alx and rcmax engines,

I’m sure most of you are probably familiar with the yt channel RC Maxx UK. That’s where I see most of the crazy big stuff. A couple of engines that stand out to me are the Rcmax 55 and 65 supremes. Also I keep seeing people talk a out the 50gt like it’s a beast. Is the lower cc gt more powerful than the supremes I mentioned? Another thing is that nobody in these videos talks about what they had to do to the car to make it handle those monsters.

Lots of drivetrain mods to handle the "big bores" For one. A good 50cc rc max/alx will be crazy powerful and not too terrible on the drivetrain. Imo. Mark, or john should be able to comment.

I'd say to start with the engine it's supplied with to get a idea of power level. You can upgrade after. You read about all those big engine stories that only a percentage of actual owners have or can afford.
The bigger engines generally require a lot of strengthening of driveline components AND a 2nd mortgage,a few body parts + - no dependants. For a lot of people the stock is plenty to start with.
To say that though after awhile you'll get hooked and "More Power" will enter your vocabulary.?
The power of the gas fumes will overwhelm you and next thing you know - your a rc junkie.??

I'd say to start with the engine it's supplied with to get a idea of power level. You can upgrade after. You read about all those big engine stories that only a percentage of actual owners have or can afford.
The bigger engines generally require a lot of strengthening of driveline components AND a 2nd mortgage,a few body parts + - no dependants. For a lot of people the stock is plenty to start with.
To say that though after awhile you'll get hooked and "More Power" will enter your vocabulary.?
The power of the gas fumes will overwhelm you and next thing you know - your a rc junkie.??
Lord I can testify to that! Baker told me the same thing before I even decided on getting a 1/5 ?

He was so right
I have the 5t 2.0 with the zenoah g320 and man it's pretty quick. And I'm sunk less than 100$ into upgrades so far including my pipe.

Biggest thing you'll find is you want a 2nd gear lol

My 3 speed nitros ruined me

If you want to keep it basically stock, you will want a 50 or lower. Even then, you will likely need upgrades sooner or later. I went with a 46cc rcmax as I wanted to stay mostly stock to keep the weight down while still having good power.

As stated above though, run the stock g320 as they still move them pretty good even out of the box. Then decide if you want to upgrade after you have got 4 or 5 ranks through it.20200525_152837.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. This will be my first gasser. So I’m mainly just worried that I’ll feel a little underwhelmed because I’m used to running brushless cars that are 50-70mph.

As sean said, these are much different. Not only are the size and weight much different, but handling and power also. I came from 1/8 and 1/10 and 2 weeks after my first 1/5 I sold all my small scale stuff

Let me expand on what john is saying. A stock g320 is somewhere around the 4 to 5 hp mark. Ported and a good pipe will need you in the 7 to 8 hp range. Bumping up to a reed cased 34cc gets you in the 9+ hp range. That will let you run some big gears, and go very fast.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks